Aiptasia all of a sudden after 8 months?

gmerfbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird situation. I’ve got an 8 month old 13.5 evo. I haven’t seen any Aiptasia during those 8 months.
However, I recently moved the tank’s location and gave it a good clean. Now all of a sudden a few aiptasia have popped up, including one on the back of a frag plug and looks like it’s affecting the back half of my zoas. I haven’t added any new fish, rock or corals in over 5 months at least.
D75F93BD-FBFD-4BAA-9383-1ECFF32FD609.jpeg
the only thing I can think is either it was dormant and stirred up when I moved tank or it was introduced in the shrimp krill food. Not sure.

also may have a little cyano going on? Any one have something like this happen? F4C88E7D-C820-4A73-9959-531EC9C8EBF2.jpeg

collins.jason.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As big as that sucker is, id say it's been there for awhile and the recent move of the tank caused it to pop into a more visible location seeking a light source maybe that it didn't have to move for prior. Being that it's that large, chances are there are more babies you just haven't seen yet.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the change of location kicked up some cyano, the change has probably made the water chemistry more friendly to them, and they have been hiding in there this whole time.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where there is one there are 5 more waiting to be seen. I just found 3 in mine and I haven't any in months as well

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Weird situation. I’ve got an 8 month old 13.5 evo. I haven’t seen any Aiptasia during those 8 months.
However, I recently moved the tank’s location and gave it a good clean. Now all of a sudden a few aiptasia have popped up, including one on the back of a frag plug and looks like it’s affecting the back half of my zoas. I haven’t added any new fish, rock or corals in over 5 months at least.
the only thing I can think is either it was dormant and stirred up when I moved tank or it was introduced in the shrimp krill food. Not sure.

also may have a little cyano going on? Any one have something like this happen? F4C88E7D-C820-4A73-9959-531EC9C8EBF2.jpeg
Often these come in as hitchhikers and can be unseen for months and suddenly emerge. Keep eradication simple:
Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had eliminated them. All of a sudden, 2 popped up in my tank. While looking in the back rockwork for a fish with a flashlight I spotted one underneath the rockwork. He was toast then too!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It's probably been in there for quite some time, judging by the size of it. Nuke it with a Kalk slurry and be on the look out for more. Not a big deal really, if you stay on top of it. As for the cyano, it is probably because your nutrients are too low. Possibly because you did a big clean out and WC when you moved the tank?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gmerfbox

gmerfbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Yes I can see there are some smaller ones around the one in the picture, so it’s not just the 1.

Then also there is one on the back half of my zoas, should I be extra careful not to get kalk on the zoa with that one?

I ordered some aiptasia x before asking on here, is that any good or try to stick with the kalk?

also what nutrients are likely low for the cyano? I guess I need to invest in a better testing kit so I can see what’s lacking.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I just saw 4 on my zoa garden today, I don’t know why but the to previous 2 times I had them the were on my zoa rock and the last time was last June. I don’t recall adding anything new since. I placed an order for Berghia nudibranchs today.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a file fish and they all disappeared. He was the new commer and I think my other fish killed him. Now they are popping up everywhere.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 37.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back