Aiptasia bad?

bryan47caveman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Fairly new to the hobby, and I’ve been running my tank for about three months now. I just noticed 3 small aiptasia growing on a large rock I bought a couple months ago. What is the risk of letting these grow if I don’t intend to add any coral? I like the look of just rock in my tank with my fish and clean up crew but will any be harmed by the apitasia?

My fish:
  • Fire fish
  • 2 clowns
  • 3 chromis
  • Scooter blenny
My CUC:
  • Turbo snail
  • 2 trochus snails
  • 2 nassarius snails
  • 2 hermit crabs, one red one blue leg
I’m also starting to see other hitchhikers like bristle worms and two types of star fish. I’ve removed the worms so far but that’s it. Any feed back is appreciated. Thanks.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sting like all anemone but I don't think particularly harmful. But maybe Google some aiptasia only tanks and see if you like the look ;)

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen them do any harm to a fish and I've had lots in my tanks. Just be careful with any chemical treatments. I usually just live with them until I was able to get a fish that eats them.

OP
OP
B

bryan47caveman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only 3, you can just use Kalkwasser paste and manually zap them. Sorry to say but it’s likely you got 2-3x that number that you don’t / can’t see!

You might want to invest in true peppermint shrimps to keep them in check.
Thanks I was just looking into fish and inverts to keep these in check, looks like there are different types of peppermint shrimp. Any suggestions on a trusted vendor to purchase from? I have two local fish stores in NorCal which haven’t had them since I started this up besides Petco, which I’m not so sure I should trust.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I remember seeing a 180 gallon, fish-only (fowler) tank, and all of the rocks were covered with massive stocks of aiptasia. It was absolutely beautiful in a very weird, ironic, sort of way.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I was just looking into fish and inverts to keep these in check, looks like there are different types of peppermint shrimp. Any suggestions on a trusted vendor to purchase from? I have two local fish stores in NorCal which haven’t had them since I started this up besides Petco, which I’m not so sure I should trust.
Peppermint shrimp have worked for me somewhat in the past but not very well. Three in a 55 gallon almost got them all. Others didn't eat any. Hit or miss.

OP
OP
B

bryan47caveman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an an 40 gallon breeder and like the idea of a peppermint shrimp, my kids wanted a cleaner but I think they’ll be happy to see anything new. Anyone have a recommendation for a trusted vendor?

Also anyone have experience with a nudibranch? I thought that might be kind of cool until I read they will go after other inverts, which makes me hesitant.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an an 40 gallon breeder and like the idea of a peppermint shrimp, my kids wanted a cleaner but I think they’ll be happy to see anything new. Anyone have a recommendation for a trusted vendor?

Also anyone have experience with a nudibranch? I thought that might be kind of cool until I read they will go after other inverts, which makes me hesitant.
Berghia nudibranchs eat only aiptasia and will not go after inverts.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve spent a good fortune on nudibranchs but they ended up being an expensive dinner for other fish and shrimps. Honestly I’ve tried all methods known to man but so far, been very happy with a Klein butterfly— many thanks to @vetteguy53081

I’ve bought another one recently for a smaller tank and on a quest to buy 2 more for my other 2 tanks, essentially it’s a must-have (for me) going forward.

Caution: they may/may not eat your zoas/softies. So far, I’ve been lucky.

Attachments

• IMG_5678.jpeg
    IMG_5678.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 17

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia nudibranchs eat only aiptasia and will not go after inverts.
And if you're lucky like I was 4 turned into 40 and counting! Been trading for acro some high end and others small colony's.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got it! That is why I'm trading while the getting is good!
I have supplied two people set up for this, and can buy back anytime I need for 10.00 apiece. Win win

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its a bit of a drive from Santa Rosa, but the store I go to in Modesto has me on the list for Aiptasia eating peppermint shrimp. My tank is infested with them from top to bottom. When he gets an order in, I can let you know if you like.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back