Oceanic 175g Bowfront + 25g Frag Tank

backbayreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2022
Messages
4,307
Reaction score
5,729
Location
Orange County
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Summer project - this thread is pretty much a work-in-progress all summer long. This tank has been sitting dry in the garage/gym for more than 7 years. Upon further inspection, all the seams appeared to be in great shape so heck — I’ve cleaned it up and plumbed it! 8 hours later, here we go…I’m dead tired so will post more later!

Tank: Oceanic 175g + Nuvo 25g Lagoon (frag tank)
Sump: CWT Aquatics CWT-50
Lighting: 3xRadion XR30 G4 Pro
Lighting (Frag Tank): Radion XR30 G6 Blue
Return Pump: Ecotech Vectra M2
Circulation: 3xMP40qd
Protein Skimmer: Bubble Magus C9
Calcium Reactor: Korallin 1502, Carbondoser Electronic CO2 regulator
ATO: Advanced Acrylic 15g reservoir + Tunze ATO
Brain: Apex + Trident

IMG_4877.jpeg IMG_4876.jpeg IMG_4875.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Summer project - this thread is pretty much a work-in-progress all summer long. This tank has been sitting dry in the garage/gym for more than 7 years. Upon further inspection, all the seams appeared to be in great shape so heck — I’ve cleaned it up and plumbed it! 8 hours later, here we go…I’m dead tired so will post more later!

IMG_4877.jpeg IMG_4876.jpeg IMG_4875.jpeg
Best of luck with the build!
 
Best of luck with the build!
Thanks - my main tank is completely full so the plan is to reset the basketball-sized colonies down to frags and move those bad boys to the 175g.

It’s my first frag tank so it’s somewhat exciting!
 
Frag tank stand - before & after. I took an old piece of furniture and repainted black to match the rest of the decor - I think it looks decent. Your thoughts?

Will need to get some hinges this week to finish the front panel.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4867.jpeg
    IMG_4867.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4871.jpeg
    IMG_4871.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 153
Frag tank is plumbed! We are up and running! Here is the pic of the gym aka “Fish Room”
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4883.jpeg
    IMG_4883.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 149
I'm contemplating to shut down the RedSea 250 or rebuild it as an anemone-only tank, that would be cool. So far, I have 4 tanks running in the house! lol
 
I need some ideas. I already have a SPS-dominated 150g main tank, a mixed reef 60g tank. Now just plumbed up a 175g 6 footer with a frag tank.

What should I do for the 175g? Do another SPS tank, 100% softies, LPS-only tank or another mixed? I’m actually bored and want to build something different. Perhaps a big carpet / anemone tank? 100% SPS, mixed?

Any ideas will be appreciated.
 
I've had a blue Haddoni carpet many years ago and it got seriously hurt & later died from the wavemaker. I might try to get a blue (although I prefer red) Haddoni carpet for this tank. Something massive -- will look at some of the examples here but I'm currently leaning to go "anemone-dominated" tank! :)
 
Aquascape is done — will start the cycle with Dr. Tim’s One and Only + ammonium cloride when they come in the mail. I’ve salted the tank but ran out of salt — still only at 25ppt. Will get more tomorrow. Doing a fishless cycle will be fun!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4901.jpeg
    IMG_4901.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 137
Th
Been watching this one, glad you decided to put that tank to use!
Thanks for following along. I got so many reefing equipment that it sucks to see them sitting around in the garage doing nothing! lol

I do need to buy an Apex since all my other tanks have them though. I now have 4 tanks running so need to worry about power cost at some point. As you know, power is ridiculous in SoCal and we don’t have solar yet!$$&@
 
Did a full dose of Dr Tim’s One and Only and fed ammonia cloride today. Tank should be cycled in ~10 days. I’ll add some fish and frags to get going but the goal is to find a big carpet anemone for the tank!
 
Flow: I have 2xMP40QDs on the back glass, ideally mounted on the sides, but aesthetically not pleasing. Given that it’s going to be a mixed tank, predominantly anemone and possible torches, we don’t need that much flow.
 
Tubings - I went with flexible tubings (man, so expensive now!) for versatility. It saved me today while trying to re-plumb the frag tank. I kept saying that my next tank will be all color pipes + schedule 40/80 but honestly, flexible tubing with barb is VERY “flexible”!
 
I'll never use vinyl tubing again, sticking with silicone hose as needed. Only down side as that occasional cost aint cheap.
Yup but those vinyl tubes last a lifetime tho! Also, those schedule 40 elbows, slip barbed fittings, etc have doubled in price post covid! Like everything else irl, our hobby went with the flow — real inflation isn’t sub 5 or 10%. It feels like 100%!!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new