Bakbay’s 360g Carpet Dream Tank

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super excited to share my new journey to transform the existing Oceanic 175g into an AA 360g Haddoni monster. This fabulous tank started out from a fellow reefer here on R2R. I will definitely reference that miraculous build for inspiration. My hope is to restore it back to its glory days, but overload with lots of carpet nems.

It’s going to take several months to rebuild this tank given everything else going on so please bare with me. Your help & feedback are appreciated to help fast-track the build.

Tank: Advanced Acrylics 360g (96x36x24)
Sump: Advanced Acrylics (54x30x16)
Stand: powder coated metal

Just filled with water and a gallon of vinegar to clean the tank.

IMG_7689.jpeg IMG_7685.jpeg IMG_7686.jpeg

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QuQuyi 3 Inch PVC Bulkhead Water Tank Connector Adapter Fitting with Plugs Thru-Bulk Pipe Fitting for Rain Barrels, Aquariums, Ponds(Set of 1) https://a.co/d/hlGllGK

May not be pretty but functional.
Thank you. Saw that but not very purtee - will keep looking.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek: what a upgrade! That 175g is still a beautiful tank!

Check out pond supply houses for a 3" fitting. Also checkout Lifeguard Aquatics, they are in Santa Fe Springs, I usually get my aquarium bulkheads from them, in person.
The 175g is doing well, thanks.

Attempting a minimalist & clean look for this build — gonna take awhile to get red pipes & white bulkheads! lol

Attachments

• IMG_7256.jpeg
    IMG_7256.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh well it will still look great. are you going to but something on the back or leave it clear?
I would love to have both sides open but need to hide the pipes/wires. The back will likely be black??? I’m contemplating to go white to match the setup. However, while that looks cool, my OCD-self would kill me once the algae takes off.

Please talk me out of it but leaning toward black, yes — boring! lol

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do need help with plumbing and flow though. I’ve always used soft pvc tubings but would like to take the time and do this “professionally” with red tubings & white elbows.

Where you guys buy them? Obviously not available at home improvement stores!

I’ll try get the 2.5” bulkheads & gate valves today.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wavemakers: I currently have 2xMP40s on the 175g and can bring that over. However, 2xMP60s would be ideal for an 8ft’er — just too much $$. Looking for used ones for now. Yes, I’m on a budget per the Home Boss - Dooh!

Return: currently have a Vectra M2 so might do 2 for redundancy.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New build will not have any MP40s (plan to move them to the main SPS tank) since my red haddoni got sucked in this morning. Just going to have 2 Sea Sweeps + Tunze and a Vectra return. Gonna buy this for the new build -- I need a UPS solution and currently one of the MP40s is UPS-enabled.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the big tank. This should keep you busy for awhile. (And light in the wallet, LOL)

At 36" depth, that's the perfect depth to me. What kind of lights are you thinking of putting on this tank? This tank is so wide that it's going to take 5-6 LEDs to blanket the whole tank. At 8' long and pennisula style, your biggest challenge will be flow and how to make it look clean at same time.

This is a show tank for sure. It'll be cool to see how this tank is set up.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the big tank. This should keep you busy for awhile. (And light in the wallet, LOL)

At 36" depth, that's the perfect depth to me. What kind of lights are you thinking of putting on this tank? This tank is so wide that it's going to take 5-6 LEDs to blanket the whole tank.

This is a show tank for sure. It'll be cool to see how this tank is set up. Are you taking down the 175gal when you get this up?
Hello again neighbor -- thanks for following along. I honestly can get this up & running under 2 months. However, there are other "distractions" like being a husband, father, provider, etc that JUST got in the way! lol Boy, wish I'm single again...ahem, anyway...

The current 175g has 3 XR30 G4 Pros. Since I'm planning to move all the lighting & rockwork over, leaving all the sides open for fish to swim, I'll just need to add one more XR30 for coverage.

Yes - this will replace the Oceanic 175g. I've tried to give this away several times so hopefully this time I'll be successful? Otherwise, there will be 6 tanks in the house! lol

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update - spent the weekend gathering equipment for the build. Sunday was a full day of cleaning now the old equipment has been soaking in vinegar for a few days. Sump is almost brand new and the SRO 5000D calcium reactor is thoroughly cleaned as well. I’ll hook up to the Kamoer peristaltic pump to test later this week.

Next update: need to purchase a ginormous skimmer! Currently I have a Bubble Magus Nac9 that should work but a monster tank requires a monster skimmer? ;)

Actually — I really need to move the 175g out of the way to start the plumbing. Can’t really do much in the garage atm.

Attachments

• IMG_7791.jpeg
    IMG_7791.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7789.jpeg
    IMG_7789.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7792.jpeg
    IMG_7792.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QuQuyi 3 Inch PVC Bulkhead Water Tank Connector Adapter Fitting with Plugs Thru-Bulk Pipe Fitting for Rain Barrels, Aquariums, Ponds(Set of 1) https://a.co/d/hlGllGK

May not be pretty but functional.
btw: I bought this one and managed to get it to work. It was leaking initially but took a few prayers (and forceful turns) to tighten & stopped the leak since I didn't want to crack the PVC sides!

Thanks again for your help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back