Closed Loop for Carpet Nem tank?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im thinking about setting up a closed loop on a 75G RR tank. We just upgraded our main tank to a 210G and moved everything from our old 75G holding tank up into the new tank a month ago, and in doing so, have decided to keep our nems out of the new tank and give them a nem specific tank that doesn't have powerheads for them to wander into. Currently we only have 10 Maxi Mini carpets in a 32G Biocube, but have really wanted a true carpet with some skunks hosting it for a long time. our LFS has a beautiful Blue Haddoni (I think?, it doesn't have verrucae on the foot) which has kind of pushed me into this idea of getting a bigger tank for them. I love the fact they are in an AIO so they can walk around freely without us worrying about ending up in a pump, but the 32G Biocube we have is way too small for a true carpet, and money is kind of tight.

I was was considering using the old 75G RR tank we already have (since we already have all the lights and filters), and using that but adding in a closed loop system for the main flow of the tank rather than using powerheads (We used to run MP40s when it was a reef). Ive never run a closed loop so doesn't really have any experience there, so was hoping for some advice on where the best place for the holes for intake and outtake should be located on the back wall. Was thinking of having like 2-3 outputs and 1-2 intakes? was thinking of having the outputs just be plumbed to be loc-line in the tank so that i could direct the flow some if needed, but really am kind of clueless here. is that a good plan?

Would still keep the RR aspect of the tank and use the sump purly for filtration (skimmer, heater, carbon, ATO) but that sump return would also be flow in the tank. I was also thinking of having the closed loop pump sit inside the sump to help with heat and noise. would that be an issue?

When it comes to maintenance, how do you clean the closed loop pump without the whole tank draining? just have ball valves that can be closed on either side of the pump?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you are planning a closed loop, remember there will be a suction bulkhead. You need to plan for that. My closed loop on my 240, I just tee'd off the bulkhead and ran 2 short sections of pipe on each side with a bunch of holes, and a strainer on the ends.
That was a mistake. Sucked up 2 fish and an anemone.
While trying to free the anemone I accidently knocked over 4 gen 3 XR30 Radions into the water.
So plan the strainer carefully, Use a secondary strainer ( box with lots of holes. maybe?)
I have 4 return bulkheads with loc-line y's that provide flow in 8 different directions.
In almost 11 years, I've never cleaned anything but the pump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back