Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I’ve got an Aqueon 210 and have convinced my wife to let me put it in the office-which is back up to the garage- and is letting me plumb it through the wall. My garage is insulated and the doors face north so they don’t get full sun all day, just the morning. I live in South Carolina and we do get some hot humid summers. The winters don’t get too cold, maybe only once or twice a winter do we get a freeze.

Anyways! I like the idea of having my filtration in the garage. I’ve just set up a mixing station with two 50-60g pickle barrels. The idea of setting a big tank like this with automatic water changes is exciting. I’m trying to make it easier on myself in the long run.

I took extra precautions by ordering a grow tent for plants on Amazon. It’s also got a filter inside that will help regulate the warm humid temperature inside and even has a carbon block so I’m not exhausting sump smell into the garage. It’s a peace of mind for me knowing I have some protection from the garage. I hope to one day run a lowboy in it and grow some frags out.

Has anyone done this? Am I overthinking it? If anyone is interested, I’ll make a build thread for this 210 and let you know how it works. Thanks!

Please share your garage sumps for some inspiration! I’m getting a Bashsea Pro 48.

IMG_2214.jpeg IMG_2211.jpeg IMG_2213.jpeg IMG_2208.jpeg

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of people do it around here. I live in the central coast of California. They even do it with uninsulated garages , though I don't recommend that. We are USDA hardiness zone 10.
I've never seen anyone use one of those tents. I imagine it will just be a pain to get to and work on the equipment.

I don't know how cold it gets there. It may cost you more money running large heaters to keep the water to temp.

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lots of people do it around here. I live in the central coast of California. They even do it with uninsulated garages , though I don't recommend that. We are USDA hardiness zone 10.
I've never seen anyone use one of those tents. I imagine it will just be a pain to get to and work on the equipment.

I don't know how cold it gets there. It may cost you more money running large heaters to keep the water to temp.
Good to hear it works for others. We’re zone 8b. But our winter weather barely hits a freeze. I guess we will find out though!
I haven’t either but I have a plan in mind with how I’ll be setting it up. I’m going to have stands somewhat low in height and see what I could turn this thing into!

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to hear it works for others. We’re zone 8b. But our winter weather barely hits a freeze. I guess we will find out though!
I haven’t either but I have a plan in mind with how I’ll be setting it up. I’m going to have stands somewhat low in height and see what I could turn this thing into!
I've actually built an entire shed on the outside of my house to store all of my equipment.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got an Aqueon 210 and have convinced my wife to let me put it in the office-which is back up to the garage- and is letting me plumb it through the wall. My garage is insulated and the doors face north so they don’t get full sun all day, just the morning. I live in South Carolina and we do get some hot humid summers. The winters don’t get too cold, maybe only once or twice a winter do we get a freeze.

Anyways! I like the idea of having my filtration in the garage. I’ve just set up a mixing station with two 50-60g pickle barrels. The idea of setting a big tank like this with automatic water changes is exciting. I’m trying to make it easier on myself in the long run.

I took extra precautions by ordering a grow tent for plants on Amazon. It’s also got a filter inside that will help regulate the warm humid temperature inside and even has a carbon block so I’m not exhausting sump smell into the garage. It’s a peace of mind for me knowing I have some protection from the garage. I hope to one day run a lowboy in it and grow some frags out.

Has anyone done this? Am I overthinking it? If anyone is interested, I’ll make a build thread for this 210 and let you know how it works. Thanks!

Please share your garage sumps for some inspiration! I’m getting a Bashsea Pro 48.

IMG_2214.jpeg IMG_2211.jpeg IMG_2213.jpeg IMG_2208.jpeg
I like the idea of using a tent to regulate the precipitation and temperature in your garage and it'll keep people from accidentally touching something

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Idkw but i think this is a bad idea but also a GREAT idea at the same time. :p

I'm right up the road from ya in NC and have been pondering doing this same exact thing. IM IN!
Haha I haven’t seen it done here in the south east so I figure I’ll be the lab rat. My only concern is the summer heat. Thankfully my garage doors face north so they aren’t blasted by the sun all day. I’m going to insulate the doors and if I have to run a mini split in the garage- which will also be nice when I exercise in there in the summer.

Follow along I’ll keep updating as it gets warmer!

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I like the idea of using a tent to regulate the precipitation and temperature in your garage and it'll keep people from accidentally touching something
The big thing with the tent is to keep my kids from going under the fish tank and messing with things. Also, it’ll keep it somewhat protected in the garage from bugs, dust, etc.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I haven’t seen it done here in the south east so I figure I’ll be the lab rat. My only concern is the summer heat. Thankfully my garage doors face north so they aren’t blasted by the sun all day. I’m going to insulate the doors and if I have to run a mini split in the garage- which will also be nice when I exercise in there in the summer.

Follow along I’ll keep updating as it gets warmer!
Mini split is my answer. We also have a gym in our garage to so may be a win win.

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Considering just running one of these in the tent. Something slightly overpowered that can keep this small tent cooled down with ease. I will also insulate the garage doors. I could actually fit this inside the tent next to the brute trash can. I’d like to see if this works before spending a few thousand on a mini split.

Attachments

• IMG_2479.png
    IMG_2479.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 41

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tent for the sump is a great idea, should help with temperature insultation and prevention of environmental contaminants (garage dust, car exhaust, etc...)

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The tent for the sump is a great idea, should help with temperature insultation and prevention of environmental contaminants (garage dust, car exhaust, etc...)
Thanks! Loving it so far. Took me hours to get everything tuned in and quiet with the drains but so far so good. The tents fan and app make it super easy to control humidity inside as well. This portable unit also works as a dehumidifier.

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The VIVOSUN app is pretty neat and easy to control. You can even buy a light as an accessory to the tent- which is intended for plant growth but I’m curious to see if I can run it as a refugium light and control through this app

Attachments

• IMG_2480.png
    IMG_2480.png
    281.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2481.png
    IMG_2481.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2482.png
    IMG_2482.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here’s where we are with everything. Pretty happy with how it turned out. It’ll evolve over time. Might just squeeze a little stand alone AC which will fit perfect under the stand. Won’t have too run much given the small enclosed size of the tent. At least I hope..

Attachments

• IMG_2515.jpeg
    IMG_2515.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 47

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back