Waterbox REEF LX 330.7 Build (Automation + Control Edition)

reefgnome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the mesmerizing world of reefing!

Hey fellow aquatic enthusiasts,

I'm thrilled to kickstart this thread where we'll embark on an exciting adventure together – the creation of my brand new Waterbox Aquarium REEF LX 330.7. Get ready to dive into the deep blue and join me as we explore the ins and outs of setting up and maintaining this incredible reef tank.

I have not seen any threads that discuss the equipment choices and the decisions that went into them. I figured this was also a great place to document my personal journey to reflect on years down the road.

But before we dive headfirst into the world of corals, fish, and underwater landscapes, let's get to know each other a bit better. Share your own reef tank experiences, your dream species, or any tips and tricks you've picked up along the way. What inspired you to start reefing, and what are your ultimate goals for your own tanks?

Throughout this thread, I'll be updating with photos, videos, and detailed progress reports as we build and customize this stunning aquarium. Expect discussions on equipment choices, aquascaping ideas, livestock selections, and the challenges that come with reef-keeping.

Feel free to ask questions, offer suggestions, or simply share in the excitement. Whether you're a seasoned pro or just starting your own reef-keeping journey, your input is invaluable to me and our community. Let's make this a space where everyone can learn, grow, and be inspired by the beauty of the underwater world.

So, without further ado, let's dive in and make some waves in the reefing community!

Tank Order Date: 1/23/24 | ETA: Backordered until 03/01/24

Will be updating the equipment as I choose and order it.

Last edited:

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, looking forward to pics. waterbox looks awesome, if I ever get a new system that isn't DIY I'll probably use them.

OP
OP
reefgnome

reefgnome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering the 380.8 to replace my aging 180 Gallon. I've been wanting an 8ft tank for a few years. I'm torn between the WB and going custom.
I was going to go with the 380.3, but decided on the 330.7 (especially with the deal right now). I did many of custom quotes before pulling the trigger and I will tell you, from my experience, it will cost you way more going the custom route. I was in the 10.5k - 17k range on a 400G custom build. Typically no warranty on custom, which was another deciding factor when spending this much money. I am upgrading from a RedSea 425 G2+ (115G) - I will never buy RedSea anything, ever again. I am in the process of deciding on all my equipment now.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You convinced me to take a second look at the 330. The one extra foot would cost an additional $1500 and would have to be picked up at a freight depot. The 330 would be curb side and I have a tractor with forks to unload :thinking-face:
I could go custom for similar money but that is me doing all the plumbing down to my basement and using my current sump which I'm not sure I even want to do. Thanks

OP
OP
reefgnome

reefgnome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You convinced me to take a second look at the 330. The one extra foot would cost an additional $1500 and would have to be picked up at a freight depot. The 330 would be curb side and I have a tractor with forks to unload :thinking-face:
I could go custom for similar money but that is me doing all the plumbing down to my basement and using my current sump which I'm not sure I even want to do. Thanks
Yeah, that was my deciding factor as well. I didn't see the point in spending an additional 2k (post tax) for 1 foot. Also, the terminal delivery was a deal breaker for me, I don't have anyway to get a tank that large to my house. Let me know what you decide! Plumbing is always a good time. If you end up with the 330, take your savings from the 380 and get you a nice new sump :)

DCMW1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking forward to watching this thread. I'm thinking of getting the WB 330 as well since it's currently on sale. I like the deeper (width) dimensions of the tank compared to the Red Sea G2 1000. What lights and equipment do you plan on adding to the tank?

OP
OP
reefgnome

reefgnome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking forward to watching this thread. I'm thinking of getting the WB 330 as well since it's currently on sale. I like the deeper (width) dimensions of the tank compared to the Red Sea G2 1000. What lights and equipment do you plan on adding to the tank?
Welcome along my journey! Hopefully it sheds light for others as I haven't seen much on this specific tank in terms of full builds.

I am debating between

XR30 G6 (x3)
Hydra 64 (x3)
GHL Mitra 7206 (x3)

I would get filler lights for this setup, either AI Coral Grows or Orphek OR3 Grows.

DCMW1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome along my journey! Hopefully it sheds light for others as I haven't seen much on this specific tank in terms of full builds.

I am debating between

XR30 G6 (x3)
Hydra 64 (x3)
GHL Mitra 7206 (x3)

I would get filler lights for this setup, either AI Coral Grows or Orphek OR3 Grows.
How are you going to attach you lights to the tank? Or are you going to suspend them from the ceiling?

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the mesmerizing world of reefing!

Hey fellow aquatic enthusiasts,

I'm thrilled to kickstart this thread where we'll embark on an exciting adventure together – the creation of my brand new Waterbox Aquarium REEF LX 330.7. Get ready to dive into the deep blue and join me as we explore the ins and outs of setting up and maintaining this incredible reef tank.

I have not seen any threads that discuss the equipment choices and the decisions that went into them. I figured this was also a great place to document my personal journey to reflect on years down the road.

But before we dive headfirst into the world of corals, fish, and underwater landscapes, let's get to know each other a bit better. Share your own reef tank experiences, your dream species, or any tips and tricks you've picked up along the way. What inspired you to start reefing, and what are your ultimate goals for your own tanks?

Throughout this thread, I'll be updating with photos, videos, and detailed progress reports as we build and customize this stunning aquarium. Expect discussions on equipment choices, aquascaping ideas, livestock selections, and the challenges that come with reef-keeping.

Feel free to ask questions, offer suggestions, or simply share in the excitement. Whether you're a seasoned pro or just starting your own reef-keeping journey, your input is invaluable to me and our community. Let's make this a space where everyone can learn, grow, and be inspired by the beauty of the underwater world.

So, without further ado, let's dive in and make some waves in the reefing community!

Tank Order Date: 1/23/24 | ETA: Backordered until 03/01/24

Will be updating the equipment as I choose and order it.
Glad to join the thread.
Love the dimensions on this tank, especially the width allows for an interesting scape.
I see you mentioned not wanting Red Sea ever again. Any specifics you can share?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back