aiptasia removal by torch

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have input on using a mini butane torch to burn aiptasia? I have a cooking torch and was thinking to just quickly pull the rock up, burn the aiptasia with a butane torch then just quickly replace it. are there any downsides to this? would the rock need to be rinsed before replacing? would think it would be better than kalk paste or F-Aiptasia in the water column or lemon juice.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting-I am NOT recommending this, but suggest that if you do try it, make sure there is good ventilation and try not to inhale whatever smoke is produced.

Also wear eye protection-if you heat enough to kill the Aiptasia, steam may form in the rock and eject Aiptasia bits or even rock fragments.

Again I am NOT suggesting you do this, but if you try it at least protect yourself as much as possible.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what was stated above.

It will smell beyond disgusting wherever you do it, so keep that in mind.

I feel like boiling the rock would be a better idea, but I have no experience with this, just my thought.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel like boiling the rock would be a better idea, but I have no experience with this, just my thought.
Yes, If you are willing to kill everything on the rock hot water will kill aiptasia-120F or so seems to work within minutes.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting-I am NOT recommending this, but suggest that if you do try it, make sure there is good ventilation and try not to inhale whatever smoke is produced.

Also wear eye protection-if you heat enough to kill the Aiptasia, steam may form in the rock and eject Aiptasia bits or even rock fragments.

Again I am NOT suggesting you do this, but if you try it at least protect yourself as much as possible.
I only ask because someone said their friend uses a lighter to burn them. was thinking a torch would be more focused

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, If you are willing to kill everything on the rock hot water will kill aiptasia-120F or so seems to work within minutes.
yeah, I'm not there for killing the whole thing. Berghia will be my go to probably in the end. Just looking into other ideas. I've seen many but thought that might have been OK.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I'm not there for killing the whole thing. Berghia will be my go to probably in the end. Just looking into other ideas. I've seen many but thought that might have been OK.
Good idea.

I have tried a lot of things to get rid of aptasia in my tank, and I think I am just going to buy some berghia. Pretty expensive, but I am losing my patience with aptasia lol.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea.

I have tried a lot of things to get rid of aptasia in my tank, and I think I am just going to buy some berghia. Pretty expensive, but I am losing my patience with aptasia lol.
This was the peppermint shrimp attempt if you can view it. The screams are video games, not for the shrimp.

Attachments

• IMG_1536.mov
    27.4 MB

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the peppermint shrimp attempt if you can view it. The screams are video games, not for the shrimp.
Oop, that's no good...

And don't worry, all I hear in my household is screaming from the video games. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped 2 in there Wednesday morning. Haven't seen either since. But of course the mantis is still there.
Of course it is.

Will the octopus eat the berghia or no?

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re willing to pull the rock out you have much better options than a torch imo.
Yeah, I agree. I think I'd pull it out and simply cover with superglue, or epoxy paste.

Heat and wet rocks often leads to spalling or cracking the rock because of steam pressure inside.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The octo made friends with a clown fish. They are ok with each other. (For over a month) Only thing she eats are the crabs and an occasional nassarius snail. (They all run towards the food smell which is a dinner plate) I hand feed shrimp and clams. I doubt there would be any interest in Berghia. There’s also a large urchin in there.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never boil your rocks! Good way to get poisoned..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I understand, but torching them is an even worse idea.
Not really… I’ve done it.. outside of course.. a small butane torch cooking a nickle size hole doesn’t hurt anything.. leaves a black hole haha

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really… I’ve done it.. outside of course.. a small butane torch cooking a nickle size hole doesn’t hurt anything.. leaves a black hole haha
Oh, ok.

I just thought putting fire to rock was never a good idea. Like I said, I have no experience with this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back