aiptasia? what should i do?

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this frag a couple of weeks ago, dipped it and everything seemed fine until one day these popped out of the middle of the frag… what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3602.jpeg IMG_3603.jpeg

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F Aptasia, Aptasia X, kalk paste, peppermint shrimp, etc. You have options.
I would put the frag in a container of tank water, use tweezers and pull it off at its base. Then dip the frag and put it back in the tank. Is this the only one you see? They spread like crazy and if you attempt to pull it off in the tank it will DEFINITELY spread.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New frag?

Are you comfortable removing the zoas from that plug and putting them on a new one?

No matter what you do make sure to pull the entire plug out of the tank before working on it

Take whatever precautions you deem appropriate and necessary

Without a clear picture of the exact location you could either cover the pest in superglue (just don’t get the glue on the top of the zoa (where the polyps come out), or remove the zoas leaving behind the pest and place on new frag plug.

Use gel super glue
1712410586856.png

bajohn32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve heard mixed reviews on this-

I would still pull the coral if you can before applying

Some people say if you use certain aiptasia stuff that it ticks them off and they multiply
Well, I should have read a little more in depth to your original post. I have never had Aiptasia on a frag. So I have no experience there. It is reef safe so I would be willing to bet that your coral would be just fine.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I should have read a little more in depth to your original post. I have never had Aiptasia on a frag. So I have no experience there. It is reef safe so I would be willing to bet that your coral would be just fine.
The coral would be fine
It’s the making the aiptasia mad and it reproducing that is bad

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are great at tolerating hydrogen peroxide dips.

I dip frags in straight H2O2 for 5 minutes

I have read stuff on here that says this will kill aiptasia.

I would use a soft bristle tooth brush to scrub the space between the zoas and make sure you get all of it. Or dip and then cover the space in superglue

The zoa may take time to open back up - sometimes up to a day.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the frag in a container of tank water, use tweezers and pull it off at its base. Then dip the frag and put it back in the tank. Is this the only one you see? They spread like crazy and if you attempt to pull it off in the tank it will DEFINITELY spread.
yes it’s the only one

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unfortunately i’ve tried literally everything to get it off the rock it’s on but i stupidly glued it too hard to the rock it’s on and that rock i can’t move without really disturbing other corals and the rock structure

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unfortunately i’ve tried literally everything to get it off the rock it’s on but i stupidly glued it too hard to the rock it’s on and that rock i can’t move without really disturbing other corals and the rock structure
Ahh, okay, well, I have heard that injecting them straight into their center with practically boiling water can kill them. The one thing you definitely do NOT want to do is try to pull it off. It will only spread dramatically at that point. Have you tried getting a peppermint shrimp? I hear they eat them. But I have no first hand experience at that.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got it!

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, you should be able to get it out, as I mentioned, into a small, workable container and remove the aptasia, then dip the coral.
one thing is once i took it out the aptasia like shrunk up and i just can’t see it anywhere on the frag. i feel like refragging is the safest option at this point but i’ve never done that before nor do i have plugs. I decided to spread super glue pretty much every spot that there wasn’t a polyp coming out it was just difficult there were a lot of small ones hidden in between the bigger ones I couldn’t pinpoint exactly where the aiptasia was coming out from

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 183 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back