AJ_TSin's 47g Shallow Rimless

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful build. After I move in a couple of weeks I want to look in to a shallow tank to hook up to my 60 cube. And with reef raft NorCal just down the street I'm going to be very very broke hahaha. You should post a video, that would be awesome!

OP
OP
AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful build. After I move in a couple of weeks I want to look in to a shallow tank to hook up to my 60 cube. And with reef raft NorCal just down the street I'm going to be very very broke hahaha. You should post a video, that would be awesome!

I will definately make a video soon, just kind of pointless until the frags fill in a bit. I made a video years ago that was all over the aquarium "blogosphere" so I will have to top that one. Plan is to shoot it in 4k on a RED camera.

OP
OP
AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now thats what i call extreme reefing! Nice job my friend! Really nice collection of corals! All the best!
Thanks!!

So I took another trip to meet up with Jay at RR Canada today. Here are the three new additions, likely won't be adding any more coral for a while until I get an Apex unit up and running.

They are definately lacking color at the moment as most SPS do after transportation and a dip, however since adding and since these shots, polyps are out and they are doing well. I will be mounting them in the little free space that is left on the rocks this evening.

DSC02875.jpg

RR Jawdropper, very happy Jay got me a piece of this, the colors are a little off right now but the polyps are blue and it should color up very nicely with a bit of time.

DSC02866.jpg

RR Multicolor Matrix

DSC02864.jpg

RR Red Diablo

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice system .. Love the rock layout, such a good use of space with the open sand spaces.. Makes the tank look much bigger....

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you keep your substrate so clean? I mean, I've seen some clean tanks with some areas, but this looks like a carpet, not a layer of aragonite pieces...

Very awesome tank!! How do you like the shallow compared to a taller tank or even a taller cube?

Thanks,
Matt

OP
OP
AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you keep your substrate so clean? I mean, I've seen some clean tanks with some areas, but this looks like a carpet, not a layer of aragonite pieces...

Very awesome tank!! How do you like the shallow compared to a taller tank or even a taller cube?

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks. I dig the shallow style because it allows for a larger open footprint and huge sand bed which also probably contributes to how it looks.

That being said I keep it clean by vaccuming it weekly and plenty of flow. I also keep a very clean overall build as I run ULNS with ZeoVit.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool man! The tank is awesome and I did the shallow portion. I can't wait to watch this grow out!

OP
OP
AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool man! The tank is awesome and I did the shallow portion. I can't wait to watch this grow out!

Awesome thanks.

Here are some older shots of the "Fish Room" for those of you interested in the guts. This is when I was first setting things up and still messing around with equipment so things are a bit messy. Also you will notice IO Reef Crystals, I have since switched to Red Sea Blue bucket and am very happy with the change.

It's an unfinished basement in a home that just turned 101 yrs old so theres not really anything I can do to make it super clean. It is a cellar more than a basement.

Full room.
DSC01842.jpg

Tank on the right is fresh RO/DI for a gravity fed ATO. Tank on upper left is the sump. You can see greyish tubes coming down through the ceiling for the overflow. Tank on bottom left is just a mixing vessel for fresh salt water. I leave a maxi jet in here and at least 5 gallons of heated water ready at all times. If you look closely you can see black e-tape lines on this tank so I can quickly identify 5,10 and 15 gallon water levels making everything easier for salt mixing water changing etc. Water changes are easy as I just syphon out into buckets and pump fresh water from below with the maxi jet. Reef Keeper Light and powercenter as well as an array of power bars are mounted. I plan on swapping this out for an APEX and eliminating all of the power bars and cable tangles eventually.

DSC01839.jpg

I keep fresh water, additives supplies and tools all handy on these shelves. The upper right portion close to the sump will be used to hold a plumbed in frag tank soon.

DSC01835.jpg

Sump housing Vertex Omega 130 Skimmer, Vertex Zeolite Reactor, Titanium Heater, Live Rock, ATO and Return Pump. You can more clearly see the overflow and return lines in upper left. You can see the angled pipe on the vertex Zeo reactor, I couldn't fit the reactor in a separate chamber than the skimmer but I wanted to make sure the mulm and output makes it into the display to feed to corals so I angled the output line over the baffle and into the next chamber.

These steel shelves have begun to rust over time, they are not stainless, the structural integrity seems uncompromised but some day I will likely have to swap them up, I have ball valves and threaded junctions throughout the plumbing upstairs so to turn things off and swap things out will be easy.

DSC01831.jpg

Overflow line pours down through this tower, first filter floss sitting on egg crate, then a mesh bag of carbon.

DSC01827.jpg

Basic ATO reservoir. I keep a Koralia going to keep it oxygenated. You can see some airline tubing that holds a siphon. Because this is elevated above the sump I can just use a gravity fed top off, this seems a bit safer to me. The RODI line on the left is clipped onto the edge of the tank so I can just turn on the tap and refill it. (I keep ATO and water mixing water in glass tanks. I just think its the easiest to keep clean and won't leach anything.)

DSC01828.jpg

Hang on float valve for the ATO. Heater and ZeoVit reactor output can be seen in this chamber as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Super nice tank and build! Love it! Thanks for sharing! :)

OP
OP
AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a handful of photos of the new frags (and some other ones) under 2x ATI Blue + bulbs.

DSC02896.jpg

Color is really improving over past few weeks

DSC02908.jpg

Jawdropper looking dope.

DSC02921.jpg

Avenger encrusting

DSC02946.jpg

Wicked Sunrise tips are getting very bright.

DSC02941.jpg

Pretty in Pink Really colouring up

DSC02936.jpg

Tierra del Fuego encrusting quickly and colouring up.

DSC02931.jpg

Wolverine has totally encrusted the plug and onto the rock

DSC02948.jpg

Nauti Spiral Growth is awesome

DSC02927.jpg

FAL Wolverine has fully covered the plug and is turning very yellow.

DSC02932.jpg

Maricultured Secale seems to be holding color ok and is already encrusting.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guts of this system is very simple I like that. People think you need ever piece of equipment on the market to have a nice reef tank.... But you just showed everyone its just simple lol

OP
OP
AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guts of this system is very simple I like that. People think you need ever piece of equipment on the market to have a nice reef tank.... But you just showed everyone its just simple lol

Yea, it can be simple, however I do dose ZeoVit which means quite a bit of daily dosing. Still the filtration is very simple.

Few more from last night:

DSC02939.jpg

Pearlberry

DSC02922.jpg

Multicolor Matrix

DSC02917.jpg

Orange Passion finally encrusting

DSC02905.jpg

Red Diablo

DSC02934.jpg

Pink Tip Millipora

OP
OP
AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tagging along on this one simply amazing
Wow thanks. Glad to have you following.

Very nice! Looking forward to watching this grow. I'm loving the pretty in pink coral.
Thanks. Yea the pretty in pink is really unique I like it a lot. It doesn't get much love on these forums I think its because Jay from RR hasn't released it yet widely but its really an awesome coral.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I saw the zeovit supplements. I know testing and dosing can get to be a pain especially those potassium test kits.... lol But other then that I thought the system was clean and simple.

OP
OP
AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I saw the zeovit supplements. I know testing and dosing can get to be a pain especially those potassium test kits.... lol But other then that I thought the system was clean and simple.

Well thanks. That's awesome. Hopefully the info I post is useful to people who want to do the same.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back