algae barn vs BRS rock

mook1178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanting to get some opinion on the dry rock from Algae Barn compared to that of BRS Marco Dry Rock.

From the pics BRS looks a bit more aesthetic, but AB is so much cheaper for 90 lbs. I figure once the coral starts really growing I won't be seeing so much of the rock and it won't matter.

Is one inherently better than the other for any reason?

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanting to get some opinion on the dry rock from Algae Barn compared to that of BRS Marco Dry Rock.

From the pics BRS looks a bit more aesthetic, but AB is so much cheaper for 90 lbs. I figure once the coral starts really growing I won't be seeing so much of the rock and it won't matter.

The more porous the better..whichever one that is.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more porous the better..whichever one that is.
I wish as a hobby we could get past this silly notion.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.maybe so...I've always just gone on that and it made sense. Seems like more porosity vs a solid rock would hold more surface area for bacteria but I'm far from an expert on the situation.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what’s always been said and I also thought the same for years until I saw the ‘Formosa Forest’ back in the reefcentral days.

Fun fact: arogonite buffers to a ph of 7.5

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpeg
    IMG_0380.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
M

mook1178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I will cheap out and get the Algae Barn rock

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what’s always been said and I also thought the same for years until I saw the ‘Formosa Forest’ back in the reefcentral days.

Fun fact: arogonite buffers to a ph of 7.5
Same..lol. It makes sense though...although blowing out rock on a regular basis helps as well but no way to get all of it.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly those are FAR from convincing. One is just a BRS "experiment" that shows nothing at all in a scientific manor. its the same us some person setting up a tank and saying "mine did this so this is true" it means nothing as its purely anecdotal.

The other one is an actual study, but i've seen in my own experience the serious lack of quality than anything E-DNA testing comes with. That whole field of study is wayyyy too new and not repeatable in many cases so its just as much a guess based off one instance.[/url]

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that it has been made pretty clear over the years the old addage of 1-2lbs of rock per gallon isnt really true, and theres countless tanks that have way less rock.
I just dont think we know why that is just yet exactly.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe so, but decades of preaching 1-2lbs of live rock will reduce nitrates by any significant amount has been refuted by every single tank set up with 1-2lbs live rock w/o some other source of denitrification.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe so, but decades of preaching 1-2lbs of live rock will reduce nitrates by any significant amount has been refuted by every single tank set up with 1-2lbs live rock w/o some other source of denitrification.
if you say so....
I think using absolutes like that is silly.... but you do you and believe what you want.
Ill personally wait till we have actual repeatable evidence to show whats up. until then its all just a guess like anyone else.

OP
OP
M

mook1178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the ocean, the vast majority of Denitrification happens in the sand bed, not rock. Just something to think about.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you say so....
I think using absolutes like that is silly.... but you do you and believe what you want.
Ill personally wait till we have actual repeatable evidence to show whats up. until then its all just a guess like anyone else.
stating common experience is not speaking in absolutes and while it may be anecdotal it is certainly repeatable. It has in fact been observably verified by every single reefer who needs any form of nutrient export, ie. skimmers, water changes, refugiums, DSBs…. Other than live rock to manage nitrates.
The article posted above simply shows peer-reviewable evidence of what common experience has shown the entire time. That live rock alone simply cannot perform full denitrification of a significant amount in a closed reef aquarium ecosystem regardless of “porosity.”

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stating common experience is not speaking in absolutes and while it may be anecdotal it is certainly repeatable. It has in fact been observably verified by every single reefer who needs any form of nutrient export, ie. skimmers, water changes, refugiums, DSBs…. Other than live rock to manage nitrates.
The article posted above simply shows peer-reviewable evidence of what common experience has shown the entire time. That live rock alone simply cannot perform full denitrification of a significant amount in a closed reef aquarium ecosystem regardless of “porosity.”
not speaking in absolutes "Every single reefer ever has experienced this"
do you see the irony?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing in either of those articles was peer reviewed and repeated. it was a single experiment that was published once and thats it.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello, you should also look at ARC! That stands for Atlantic Reef Conservation. They have a quarry that that use to ship rock from. I purchased 45 lbs. from them for my aquarium when I set it up. The rock is amazing, and relatively cheap. It comes with multiple pre drilled 3/8" holes for frag plugs.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing in either of those articles was peer reviewed and repeated. it was a single experiment that was published once and thats it.
The peer reviewed study discussed in the article is cited at the bottom of the article where references are typically cited. The other article that discussed the ‘BRS’ video missing the mark was an op-ed written by Jake Adams. While I’m not fully familiar with his qualifications, they were likely more than adequate.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The peer reviewed study discussed in the article is cited at the bottom of the article where references are typically cited. The other article that discussed the ‘BRS’ video missing the mark was an op-ed written by Jake Adams. While I’m not fully familiar with his qualifications, they were likely more than adequate.
While im not familiar im sure its adequate. meaning you have no idea and didn't check but just assume.... just like your whole premise in this thread.
Jake adams was just another reefer who setup a media company "Reefbuilders" hes no scientist.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While im not familiar im sure its adequate. meaning you have no idea and didn't check but just assume.... just like your whole premise in this thread.
Jake adams was just another reefer who setup a media company "Reefbuilders" hes no scientist.
and agian, that single paper, is just that. a single paper done once and published..... no other repeated tests, just their one time

heres the whole thing

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that link and it has been peer reviewed I don’t understand what the confusion is or what exactly is the point of contention. Maybe being silly just to be. That single paper highlights clearly what has been common experience amongst reef aquarists.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back