Algae question.

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am a experienced reefer that recently suffered a tank crash. I restarted my system fresh with new dry rock and marine pure bio block. I went through the stages of cycling never got diatoms but got some sort of brownish green Matt algae.

My question my rock now appears to have a black look to it. I do weekly water changes and have 2 mp10s which create strong flow. The tank is bare bottom and when I blow the rock off I get some junk off but the blackish look stays. Anyone have any idea what this is? I don’t seem to remember having this problem on past tanks.

6EEA2EE8-DDCE-4550-9CF5-CF7288591C3E.jpeg E0FD5E2C-54F9-4610-8C9C-C06F7124CD40.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just looking black on the rocks with the blue lights on? Or also with the white lights?

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a sponge maybe? If its black sponge, try not to touch it too much. Leaves a nasty sting.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue light definitely make it look worse under daylight light it looks like a dark brownish black like a turf type of algae
I have a really dark green turf-like algae that has popped up in a few places...finally found a snail that is working through it...a Mexican Turbo. Maybe attempt to beef up the CUC and see if it helps. If it is blowing off the rocks with a turkey baster, then we are talking something else other than algae probably.

Back