Algae?

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp is easier to remove plus using live rock and live sand there really isn't any point to using the shrimp or spot feeding. The life on your rock provides all the bacteria you need. I normally use live rock ads my cuc wait a week and add easy Corals. If you look st my tank it's only 3 months old

OP
OP
Tom McCoy

Tom McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what your saying. I took the advise of another reefer on here that said to spot feed saying the life that dies off of the rock and sand will only provide so much ammonia and said I would need to either feed or dose with ammonia. I'll definitely see how that works in the future instead of going through this crazy cycle! Thanks

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus all that food is adding phosphates too. I never saw the point in adding all those nutrients to my tank. Some people don't like live rock because of hitchhiker. I don't mind them. So if you can handle them. And use live rock I would say just add your clean up crew and then you can add easy corals. I didn't add fish or feed my tank for 6 weeks but I did add corals

OP
OP
Tom McCoy

Tom McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok makes sense. I did have a ton of hitchhikers and a ton of worms! Not sure what type they were but they looked like long centipedes! I think the ammonia levels in my tank killed them all(thank god). Thinking about getting a clean up crew this weekend. Do you think it is a little early to get a fish?

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They where probably bristle worms. While ugly are completely harmless and are actually beneficial scavengers. As far as adding cuc or fish. I have to ask what is your ammonia and nitrite levels. If both zero then you can add cuc and one small fish.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Key is to not to add to much at once. Give your bacteria time to catch up. This type of bacteria only doubles every 24 hours. So adding too much can cause your tank to crash. It's what people say when they say your tank isn't finally matured

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be fine, just remove the food and clean up once it's cycled. I use fish guts in a carbon bag so I can remove it once done.

OP
OP
Tom McCoy

Tom McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an ammonia test kit(getting mailed now) but my nitrite and nitrate is at 0ppm. I'm prob going to just get a cleanup crew for now then. Thanks for all of the info Anthony.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably don't need the test kit. I think your tank is 24 days old, if so it's probably cycled. Just siphon all the excess food out wait 3 days to be safe and you should be fine to add cuc I never test when I cycle a tank. Not saying people can't. But if you truly understand the nitrogen cycle you can skip buying the ammonia and nitrite test it.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do t go crazy with cuc. Most online vendors and lfs recommend way too many. I would get 4 trouhous snails. 4 Nasserura snails and 2 scarlet hermit carbs. Also what kind of fish do you plan on keeping In the tank Ps my spelling is horrible and too lazy to google it lol

OP
OP
Tom McCoy

Tom McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you recommend for a clean up crew for a 20 gallon. I eventually want some soft corals so I don't want anything that could harm them or the fish.

OP
OP
Tom McCoy

Tom McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that message didn't show up. But I want to start off with a clown. My lfs doesn't have the best selection and I'm in Japan on a military base so it's kinda hard to get anything live sent here.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am want to thank you for your service. Because of people like you i an able to rest good at night. A pair of clowns and maybe a goby would go nice in thst tank

OP
OP
Tom McCoy

Tom McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate that man. And you say a pair of clowns? Are clowns happier when there is more than one?

OP
OP
Tom McCoy

Tom McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I think soft corals would be the best bet for me just so I can understand how to run a saltwater tank.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be terrors especially in a little tank Once they get older they won't let anyone even you into there territory But if you get 2 small ones one will turn into female one will stay a male.

They will leave the goby alone because it stay on the bottom under rocks

OP
OP
Tom McCoy

Tom McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think soft are the way to go for first tank also. worst case they grow so much you have to get rid of them . thats not a bad problem right.
So do you think my tank could handle the bio load of 2 small clowns and a decent clean up crew? I am running a reef octopus 1000 hob.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back