OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been testing everyday around the same time.

I know I'm doing something right now because my pink monti cap and pink digitata testers are turning a really nice red!

ALK is stable around 9.0 - 9.5
Calcium still going up about 10-15ppm per day due to the extra hand dosing and is now around 425. Gonna get it up to about 450 and stop dosing the extra.

Oh and I'm actually dosing 375ml via the DOS system. Not 400.

Feels good!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually had a bit more coral than what I Was thinking so I counted.

12 LPS (small to medium colonies)
23 LPS Frags
5 Soft (small to medium colonies)
11 Shroom Frags (26 Heads)
22 SPS Frags
1 Medium Cap
27 Zoa Frags

375ml a day in about 425g of water.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had a bit more coral than what I Was thinking so I counted.

12 LPS (small to medium colonies)
23 LPS Frags
5 Soft (small to medium colonies)
11 Shroom Frags (26 Heads)
22 SPS Frags
1 Medium Cap
27 Zoa Frags

375ml a day in about 425g of water.
lol
Now, I see why your looking to go with a cal reactor for the long haul.

Rev, We're happy for you and thanks for starting this thread. :)

Regards, GoVols

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be drawing from the outside tank room wall which is outside.

Consider a balanced air ventilation system that both exhausts and intakes at the same time. Panasonic makes an erv (energy recovery ventilator) that is better suited than randomly pulling air in from holes in the house. Plus negatively pressurizing the house can be an issue with modern tightly sealed homes with combustion equipment.

Depending on your climate an erv or hrv (heat recovery ventilator) is the right way to do fresh air. Panasonic makes an affordable one. I have the Panasonic one in our basement and I love the fresh air in our otherwise well sealed basement.

aashley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3:

dKh: 7.2 Added 194mL of BRS sodium bicarbonate. Tested 15 minutes later and dKh 8.3. I was shooting for 8. Decreased my tank volume to 170 as part of the calculation since I overshot a little yesterday. I guess this is close enough anyway.

Calcium: 460!!! I don't understand this at all. I added the suggested amount of BRS calcium solution to reach 420ppm. I don't get this at all. I tested twice to make sure I measured the drops accurately. I am obviously not going to add any calcium today. Just not sure how it overshot so far. The solution is really easy to mix, just 2 cups per gallon of RODI and it dissolves completely. I know you (GoVols) don't use the 2-part BRS system and I haven't heard from Randy. Although this is not detrimental, it is very FRUSTRATING and why I got frustrated the first time I tried to get my numbers right.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider a balanced air ventilation system that both exhausts and intakes at the same time. Panasonic makes an erv (energy recovery ventilator) that is better suited than randomly pulling air in from holes in the house. Plus negatively pressurizing the house can be an issue with modern tightly sealed homes with combustion equipment.

Depending on your climate an erv or hrv (heat recovery ventilator) is the right way to do fresh air. Panasonic makes an affordable one. I have the Panasonic one in our basement and I love the fresh air in our otherwise well sealed basement.
Is it a stand alone unit or does it tie into you homes duct work?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a stand alone unit or does it tie into you homes duct work?
You can do either, the cheaper Panasonic one looks just like a big bathroom fan. The fancier ones tie into your ductwork t distribute fresh air throughout the home. They can get pricey, but the Panasonic uses a single 5" hole to run two 4" ducts outside. It can be a bit confusing for the wiring, but it's about 10 feet from the tank and works great, almost silent too.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3:

dKh: 7.2 Added 194mL of BRS sodium bicarbonate. Tested 15 minutes later and dKh 8.3. I was shooting for 8. Decreased my tank volume to 170 as part of the calculation since I overshot a little yesterday. I guess this is close enough anyway.

Calcium: 460!!! I don't understand this at all. I added the suggested amount of BRS calcium solution to reach 420ppm. I don't get this at all. I tested twice to make sure I measured the drops accurately. I am obviously not going to add any calcium today. Just not sure how it overshot so far. The solution is really easy to mix, just 2 cups per gallon of RODI and it dissolves completely. I know you (GoVols) don't use the 2-part BRS system and I haven't heard from Randy. Although this is not detrimental, it is very FRUSTRATING and why I got frustrated the first time I tried to get my numbers right.
No, I've never used the BRS but your #'s are going up and that's a good thing.

I think you just have to find how many gallons that your really holding and then you'll be all good. :)

You dosed cal and alk and they both over shot your goal.

Please don't get frustrated. It's just going to take (a little) time to find out how many gallons your holding.

Right now a 460 cal and 8.3 alk is great. :D

I don't know about the BRS stuff but a lot of two parts act like this below.
When you dose up cal your mag. may raise and if you dose up your mag your cal may come up too.

The next time your alk/cal drops then dose to 150 gallons and see if your getting closer.

Your perfect gallons could be 160ish...

Regards, GoVols

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do either, the cheaper Panasonic one looks just like a big bathroom fan. The fancier ones tie into your ductwork t distribute fresh air throughout the home. They can get pricey, but the Panasonic uses a single 5" hole to run two 4" ducts outside. It can be a bit confusing for the wiring, but it's about 10 feet from the tank and works great, almost silent too.
If you don't mind...
Do you know the dimensions of your unit and is it 110 or 220 volt?

Also can the fancy ones work with a split central heat and air, heat pump unit?

lol,
Can you tell I raise our homes windows a lot?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 110 and about 18x26" and fits between two joists. The fancy ones do work with any type of duct work. Drop me a pm if you want more details, I don't want to side track the OP's thread.
IMG_20170328_205631.jpg

aashley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I've never used the BRS but your #'s are going up and that's a good thing.

I think you just have to find how many gallons that your really holding and then you'll be all good. :)

You dosed cal and alk and they both over shot your goal.

Please don't get frustrated. It's just going to take (a little) time to find out how many gallons your holding.

Right now a 460 cal and 8.3 alk is great. :D

I don't know about the BRS stuff but a lot of two parts act like this below.
When you dose up cal your mag. may raise and if you dose up your mag your cal may come up too.

The next time your alk/cal drops then dose to 150 gallons and see if your getting closer.

Your perfect gallons could be 160ish...

Regards, GoVols
I will try that. And thanks for the encouragement. I can hardly wait for the numbers to level out. What do you use for your alk/calcium/magnesium? Do you dose trace elements or just do water changes?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 110 and about 18x26" and fits between two joists. The fancy ones do work with any type of duct work. Drop me a pm if you want more details, I don't want to side track the OP's thread.
IMG_20170328_205631.jpg
That's awesome!!!!!!
Thank you so much for taking the time.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try that. And thanks for the encouragement. I can hardly wait for the numbers to level out. What do you use for your alk/calcium/magnesium? Do you dose trace elements or just do water changes?
First off. Next time you bump up wait about an hour to test. 15min. is really quick to test your results.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_20170328_205631.jpg

Hey it's all good! I want to know as well!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol! It's my thread and I say let's rock and roll!!! Ha!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%

Back