Alkalinity at 14.4 dKH in new tank

miloreif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. New reef tank here. All cycled and ready to go except the alkalinity is a little high at 14.4 dKH. Should I correct this? I’m planning on starting with soft corals and then to LPS eventually.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. New reef tank here. All cycled and ready to go except the alkalinity is a little high at 14.4 dKH. Should I correct this? I’m planning on starting with soft corals and then to LPS eventually.
14.4 dKh in a new tank, empty tank? :) What salt mix are you using and what is your pH?

OP
OP
M

miloreif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14.4 dKh in a new tank, empty tank? :) What salt mix are you using and what is your pH?
I had accidentally added too much buffer when trying to raise my pH. All my other parameters are fine though. Is a dKH of 14.4 harmful to fish or corals? I’m using Biocube salt and my pH is now 8.1

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had accidentally added too much buffer when trying to raise my pH. All my other parameters are fine though. Is a dKH of 14.4 harmful to fish or corals?
Do a couple of 20% water changes over the next week or so and slowly bring your dKH down to desired level.

Q: What buffer are you dosing- and for which purpose?
Q: Anything in your tank that makes you think your pH is an issue?
Q: How "low" is your pH?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a few water changes this week. And keep testing!

OP
OP
M

miloreif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a couple of 20% water changes over the next week or so and slowly bring your dKH down to desired level.

Q: What buffer are you dosing- and for which purpose?
Q: Anything in your tank that makes you think your pH is an issue?
Q: How "low" is your pH?

I was using Brightwell Aquatics Alkalin8.3 buffer to raise my pH. I have nothing in the tank yet. My pH was 7.6 and now it is 8.2. I just raised bc I read online that 8.2-8.4 is optimal.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Brightwell Aquatics Alkalin8.3 buffer to raise my pH. I have nothing in the tank yet. My pH was 7.6 and now it is 8.2. I just raised bc I read online that 8.2-8.4 is optimal.
Don't chase your pH! :) Raise your alkalinity as you see fit- pH will follow as a bonus. You get what you get. 7.6 is a little bit low- but not the end of the world!

Your pH will be lower as well when you have nothing growing in the tank! Uptake of Co2 (among other thigs!) through photosynthesis will raise pH.

Don't try to fix a problem you don't have! :smiling-face-with-halo: Just bring it back down slowly through water changes.

OP
OP
M

miloreif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't chase your pH! :) Raise your alkalinity as you see fit- pH will follow as a bonus. You get what you get. 7.6 is a little bit low- but not the end of the world!

Your pH will be lower as well when you have nothing growing in the tank! Uptake of Co2 (among other thigs!) through photosynthesis will raise pH.

Don't try to fix a problem you don't have! :smiling-face-with-halo: Just bring it back down slowly through water changes.
Thank you for the advice! I’ll take it :)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice! I’ll take it :)
Anytime mate! That's what this community is for! And hey? Chin up- nothing happened, okay? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Take care bud..

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is great snippet from @Randy Holmes-Farley with directions to lower your new saltwater that your doing your water changes with.

From Randy......

Here's a cut and paste for standard muriatic acid. Yours is more dilute (to get less fumes and cost less):

You can use muriatic acid or certain freshwater buffers to lower alk.
Both will lower pH similarly and a lot. There's no way around the pH lowering when reducing alkalinity. You do not want to add CO2. You want to remove CO2 from the tank via aeration.

For that reason, it is best to do it in water change water that is aerated to raise pH before using, or to do it very slowly in the tank (over many days).

The "acidity" (that being essentially negative alkalinity) of muriatic acid straight from the bottle is about 11,000 meq/L.

So adding 1/11,000 of the water volume as this acid will drop alkalinity by 1 meq/l (2.8 dKH).

I would not drop more than 1 dKH per day due to the big pH drop in a reef tank, but in new salt water it is fine.

You'll need to aerate well after adding the acid to blow off the excess CO2 and bring up the pH.

You can also use Seachem Acid Buffer:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/AcidBuffer.html

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back