Alkalinity swings in a coral reef?

Alazo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure this is the best forum for this question but when I do a google search it usually leads back to reef aquarium vs real coral reefs.

Anyone have insights / link to alkalinity fluctuations in coral reefs?.

Thanks,
Albert

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure this is the best forum for this question but when I do a google search it usually leads back to reef aquarium vs real coral reefs.

Anyone have insights / link to alkalinity fluctuations in coral reefs?.

Thanks,
Albert
No fluctuations but differences depending on region. There was one user here who took his WC water out of the ocean and was measuring parameters of Calcium of under 300 mg/l. I imagine if the reef is very close to a beach, a strong rain can also change the salinity for a short time.

OP
OP
A

Alazo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. It's still weird that I cannot find any measurements from actual reefs.

This all started after watching some videos on the Chris Meckley method of adding kalkwasser and basically ignoring alk. Ph fluctuates in reefs by up to .6 or so in a day so that is not what I would consider stable. Since alk is more constant a timed kalkwasser dosing, it would be a better way to achieve a bit higher ph without ignoring alk.

So much new stuff lately. Chris Meckley method, trace element addition, bacterial concoction dosing, ammonia dosing. Makes your head spin..LOL

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. It's still weird that I cannot find any measurements from actual reefs.

This all started after watching some videos on the Chris Meckley method of adding kalkwasser and basically ignoring alk. Ph fluctuates in reefs by up to .6 or so in a day so that is not what I would consider stable. Since alk is more constant a timed kalkwasser dosing, it would be a better way to achieve a bit higher ph without ignoring alk.

So much new stuff lately. Chris Meckley method, trace element addition, bacterial concoction dosing, ammonia dosing. Makes your head spin..LOL

I have no idea why folks call this method after Chris since it has been used for decades, but there are serious issues with unlimited dosing of kalkwasser in some tanks where demand is low and pH is also low (giving very high alk). Folks just need to monitor alk to be sure they are happy with the results.

There are plenty of alk measurements on natural reefs.

OP
OP
A

Alazo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. Do you by chance have a link for alkalinity measurements? Hopefully I can make sense out of it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. Do you by chance have a link for alkalinity measurements? Hopefully I can make sense out of it.

What exactly are you wanting to know? Seawater alk varies with salinity, as do all major ions. It does not vary from place to place except as salinity changes.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly are you wanting to know? Seawater alk varies with salinity, as do all major ions. It does not vary from place to place except as salinity changes.
As a layman, I would've thought:
If I choose a specific reef area, the local salinity (and thus alk) WOULD vary, such as during times of heavy rain.
Is that not true?
*I get the "connection" to massive amounts of ocean water but would think it would take time for that to come into play so would've expected localized variation to be expected

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
close coastal areas do have somewhat variable salinity, but across nearly the entire equatorial pacific, salinity is in the 34-36 ppt range and doesn’t really vary with rain. In 10 feet deep water, an inch of rain is less than a 1% change in salinity.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back