All about tube Anemones

blueridgereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a 7.5 nem + LPS(frogspawn, hammer, hopefully duncan and torch) tank, and I saw some of these in my LFS over the weekend. Maybe 2-2 1/2" diameter on the tentacles...how much bigger do they get? Were these teeny-tiny babies? I'm not worried about fish eating, the only fish going in this tank are ones I can afford to loose(and if it happens too much, the fish idea will be abandoned, lol).

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going to wake up this old thread. I am going to pick up one tomorrow from another guys tank in our local club. I have read they are mostly nocturnal. Do all of yours stay out pretty good during the day? Should I try and place it in a shadowed area of the tank? I made a rock arch in the middle of the tank that is fairly shadowed underneith it. How about current flow? My tank is sps with mp40's for flow so there is quite a bit of water moverment.
thanks
Jeff

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I brought the tube nem home today. Found a good spot for him that isnt being blasted by my mp40's. It has been out all day and ate tonight when I fed the fish. It is a very light purple with neon green center that glows under the actinics.
Jeff

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a nice one Jeff. I had mine for months and one day he just disappeared.

I'm not sure what happened.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like the hot pink color of the pic you posted reefaholic. I picked mine up from a guy selling out his tank. wish it had been alittle darker in purple color but the tenticles on these guys are just hard not to love.
Jeff

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the hot pink color of the pic you posted reefaholic. I picked mine up from a guy selling out his tank. wish it had been alittle darker in purple color but the tenticles on these guys are just hard not to love.
Jeff

Yeah, he was a nice little nem. In that pic he was under 54/W ATI T5's. Two blue plus, and two purple plus.

If you like them, you should really like Magnifica. They too have long tents, but the tents are much thicker.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to feed them but it was fun for me. I actually would take a small piece of scallop and place it in the center where the neon green tentacles are. The fish would not dare get to close because these pack quite a sting.

DSC06721ARW.jpg

I had one that looked exactly the same. It got vary large and the tentacles got a foot long, it would sting other corals close by. I gave it to a friend who really wanted it. I didn't have the room to share with other corals i wanted. I didn't lose a fish from it, the fish keeped there space from it.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few at one point, kinda a tube nem tank. Also house my trio of leaf fish at the time. Never bothered the fish either. If I can find pics I will post them. Do watch for ones with tubes as it takes their energy to build a new one. On the other hand, the longer you keep it and healthy the bigger the tube gets. Slimy mud looking tubes as well.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pink and green is a beauty. Yeah, mine never ate fish but would sting anything close to him.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that looked exactly the same. It got vary large and the tentacles got a foot long, it would sting other corals close by. I gave it to a friend who really wanted it. I didn't have the room to share with other corals i wanted. I didn't lose a fish from it, the fish keeped there space from it.

Yes this one got quite large and the tube was huge! I had it in my aggressive tank and the triggers would leave it alone! I loved it and ended up selling it when I took that tank down.

kknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought mine I didn't think of any of these questions. Lol put it under a rock on the bottom and everything is fine. I feed with a turkey batter because I think its fun and it has grown.

I just ordered an orange one.Can't wait to get it.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was pleased with mine in the way that it stays out most all the time. Mine catches enough food when I feed the fish. really need to see it snag a piece of food out of the water column and quickly pull it down into its mouth.
Jeff

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%

Back