OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know sounds crazy, I put it in the tank at around 2pm and when I got up 8am it was sucked and only skeleton. I have never seen anything nip At them. Would a peppermint shrimp do it?

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or my clowns, the clowns are the only thing I have really had in there consistently since my first LPS died which was a torch.

FishGuyTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp could certainly do it. I have heard horror stories of people getting a dozen peppermint to rid a tank of Aptasia, only to wake up to see lots of Aptasia and skeleton where their prized frogspawn once was. I keep a single peppermint with no issues, but each is different.

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The angel has not been In there long, so most of the others that vanished were before the angel. The clowns and the shrimp I believe are the only ones that have been in the tank throughout the mystery lol

franciscosalazar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the params of your LFS's tanks?
I repeatedly lost LPS due to my Magnesium level being too high compared to the LFS's...

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought from 3 different places. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking something has to be irritating them.

FishGuyTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a little research to confirm my suspicions of a predator/pest doing the damage over your parameters. Especially considering the short time you had the trumpet, less than a day. I would call your peppermint the main culprit. You had not mentioned him in your earlier response to the question of livestock in the tank. A shrimp could certainly do that kind of damage over night , especially a hungry one. I always feel like once they have the taste for it, they won't stop, especially if u miss a feeding or something so if I were you, I would evict that guy and get a cleaner or fire shrimp, then try the LPS again.

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I will do. I will get a another LPS or two this week and take the shrimp to the Lfs.and I will post on here. Thanks for all the help everyone.

FishGuyTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan! Keep me posted for sure. I have that app so this thing has been going off all day! Lol. I hope that something as simple removing the shrimp is the solution! Good luck!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I will do. I will get a another LPS or two this week and take the shrimp to the Lfs.and I will post on here. Thanks for all the help everyone.
If it happens again after the shrimp is gone, I would recommend covering a flashlight with something red (they don't see red light as well as other colors) and using that to check your tank a few hours after lights-out for a few days to make sure you don't have something hiding in your live rock that is the night-munching culprit.

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is that if the peppermint or "lookalike" is picking at the Coral it would close up enough until it eventually died. Not sure if that reasonable or not.

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I got him out. What a chore that was.
The Lfs didn't have any euphyllia coral. So no able to tell for sure it was him. I grabbed an acan. See if that does well since my candy cane did not. Let u know

hunnydu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this thread...I have had the same issues as the OP. I have been battling it for over a year! I have not be able to keep a brain coral..they never open. I can keep frogspawn, hammer..shrooms..a meat coral that has been thriving and several other corals..also haev a large blasto colony that is doing well. I had so much stuff die over the last year I hate to even think about it. I have a 75..mp10, mp40, Radions G1. The vortechs are at max 40%..but vary throughout the day. The radions are utilizing VERY little on the whites. I have adjusted my light over the last year to every configuration I can think of. I have never had any hair algae or algae at all in my tank . I have not found any pests at all. I have started for hours at night with my red flashlight. Have never seen any of the fish bother anything..they are very well fed. The params are all good. I run GFO..have a sump and a skimmer..ATO. I even started using tropic marin bio actif (it made a huge difference) but most LPS is suffering also no grown any longer on other corals..but at least they are no longer dying..in fact I had a monti come back from death and started to grow...so exciting..really is. I used to have to sell off corals that got to big. The only thing that has really changed is the 8 x t5 light to radions. I also used to pluck my kenya out ALOT. Not I have this one peice in there that is in the back and just sits there closed up forever..no growth. I too think there is something irritating my corals. No one can figure it out
75gl91614.jpg

hunnydu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And before the tang police get me..I am upgrading my tank VERY soon :)

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! Tang police.

Do you have a peppermint shrimp? That's what I have attributed mine to. I have not however added any euphyllia coral since removing my peppermint, but I have added some
Soft coral (I forgot the name) and I added to Acans with no problems thus far.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back