All SPS unhappy...I'm lost

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to care about PAR....we're simply trying to assess overall intensity - and lux works.

Don't let it slow down your taking of measurements, but take a peek here: [/s]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux#Illuminance

We're shooting for broad ranges - anything above "full daylight" will be "OK".

Makes sense, right?

-Matt

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two more cents. ;)

There really is no reason to care about PAR...even in general...at least IMO.

The only reasonable case I've been able to come up with is if you want to compare numbers with someone who only measures in PAR......or compare with some published PAR numbers.

For ones' own use, I cannot really see any advantage in measuring in PAR. If there's any increase in accuracy, it's at a huge cost and not really that big a difference. I've been measuring with lux for years and it works.

Technically, you can calibrate your lux meter to a PAR meter and have a simple conversion factor from your meter to PAR. Each lux meter would have to be calibrated for each different type of lighting if you're really concerned with accuracy.

-Matt

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my RW-15 in the mail today. Things awesome. Wide flow and it feels much sturdier than the WP series. I am running it at 70% so that works out to be 2700gph on wave mode.

I can tell the tanks doing much better for sure. All the SPS are looking less faded out.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard those were more-narrow flow...different from the Korallia/Vortech style of flow. Are the new ones a lot different than the old ones?

-Matt

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Can you post a new tank shot once you get it mounted wherever you're going to start it off?

-Matt

Frostyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my RW-15 in the mail today. Things awesome. Wide flow and it feels much sturdier than the WP series. I am running it at 70% so that works out to be 2700gph on wave mode.

I can tell the tanks doing much better for sure. All the SPS are looking less faded out.

What's your thoughts on the RW-15?

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been running with it for 3 days now and I gotta say I like it a lot. I read a bunch of threads saying that using it on people's 100g tank was too much...either those people are clueless about how the controller works, or its stuck on full power. On my controller on the lowest setting it barely moves anything...which makes sense 400gph. I am running on 60% dialed in now and its not spilling any water over the sides. 70% left some streaks after a few hours, but 60% seems to work great for me.

Its a lot heavier than the WP and the plastic feels better quality and less flimsy. Noise-wise I can hear the pump turn on and off, but my tank is pretty dead quiet. I'd say for the size and flow, its perfectly adequate. Its still quieter than my MP10 even though its pushing 2x the flow at 60%.

Flow "feels" much more like the vortec's. Using just my hand as a flow guide, I can see at least twice the width of flow. It no longer feels a concentrated burst.
Overall -- if and when my WP-25 dies, I'm replacing it with another RW-15.

Heres a comparison of size vs the MP10.

rw15shot.jpg

Last edited:

Frostyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! I think I'm gonna get two RW-8 for my 40 br that I'm setting up. Did you get yours thru fish street?

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. They ship from california warehouse so I got mine in 3 days from date of order.

For $20 get the dual controller. It will eliminate any of the wireless issues and you only have 1 power supply.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was 2 months old. I got an email back from fish street and they said they no longer carry the older wp25 so I'll have to update. Well guess I am trying to pull it apart.

Wish I had $460 for an MP40...
Some of the first gen wp25 were sold with a smaller power supply. That is why allot of them failed. They were ordered like that from Jebao to save cost and have a better selling cost on Ebay. The new RW are so nice. Although the new dual controller with appropriate power supply will run all WP pumps. My first Gen WP25 also failed it was running a small power supply meant for the WP10. I took it apart cleaned it and ran it in a bucket of vinegar for a few hours. I ordered a new dual controller with the appropriate power supply and have had no issues with the pump.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the RW-15 work with a WP-10 on the TC4A! Is what I meant to ask? Thanks!
Brian
Yes but they wont wirelessly synch to each other. I would get the TC5A for RW15 WP10 combo. TC4A might be under powered for the RW15. It would definitely be sufficient for WP10 and RW8. Many of the earlier Jebao problems stemmed from a under powered power supply.

byronford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I had a slime algae problem, I ended up tracing it back to a worn out DI column. Is the total dissolved solids on your make-up water 0? The cyanobacteria is eating something. I would also make sure that I'm exporting more nutrients than I'm importing. How do you clean your substrate?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back