Ammonia alert badge.....

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two fish or I should say had 2 fish in quarantine small majestic angelfish and a Sunburst Anthias. I have two ammonia alert badges inside this Tank neither one of them changed color one little bit and this morning I woke up to a dead sunburst. I decided to get my API test kit out and it was over. .5Ppm and I'm really ticked off that these badges did nothing to alert me to this condition in the tank. No color change at all!
The good news is I did a freshwater dip on the angel this morning and no flukes came off of him so that's good but there still is a little cloudiness on his left eye so I've done a big water change got the ammonia almost down to nothing I've treated with Prazi and I'm hoping for the best. I'll do another water change tomorrow to try and get the ammonia to zero. I've been using Seachem Stability in the tank since Friday, almost a week now and apparently it's done little to nothing.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look at the badge from either above or behind it with a flashlight? Epsom salt is good for cloudy eye, unless it's a bacterial infection. Then you'll need Kanaplex.

Also Stability takes about 2 weeks to work effectively.

OP
OP
Swoody

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look at the badge from either above or behind it with a flashlight? Epsom salt is good for cloudy eye, unless it's a bacterial infection. Then you'll need Kanaplex.

Also Stability takes about 2 weeks to work effectively.

Yes and both look yellow. And at the level myAPI kit said the ammonia was at the center should've been purple .... unfortunately The instructions on stability gives you a first day dose and then a once a day for a week thereafter dose and according to the instructions all will be well I had two small fish in a 15 gallon tank and in just a few days obviously the ammonia got out of hand .

OP
OP
Swoody

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any copper in the water?

No, no copper yet, was planning on Prazipro and when finished with that treatment do a water change and then start cuprimine....
Question, should I start kanaplex for Angels cloudy eye and if yes, can I do that in conjunction with Prazipro?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, should I start kanaplex for Angels cloudy eye and if yes, can I do that in conjunction with Prazipro?

Kanaplex is good, but erythromycin is actually a better choice for eye infections.

Prazipro doesn't always play nice with other medications (bacterial bloom), so I would wait until that is done if possible.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex is good, but erythromycin is actually a better choice for eye infections.

Prazipro doesn't always play nice with other medications (bacterial bloom), so I would wait until that is done if possible.

+1 Especially if you are having ammonia issues right now.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back