Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0832.jpeg

IMG_0835.jpeg

Working on getting this CaRx online. Had an old Apex laying around so I figured I would use it to control the system.

Also moved it up out of the splash zone in case of an emergency… LOL

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Feeding the big dogs in the 5000…

Tank looks really good!

I may have missed it earlier but have you thought about using Seachem Matrix or Siporax to bring down Nitrate?
I’m having my own issues bringing down nitrate to where I want it in my 600 gal. system. I think I killed my biological anaerobic filter when I dosed Cipro 6 months ago. My new plan of attack is adding some IPSF sand/rubble to a reactor full of seachem matrix.

Also, are you still dealing with cyano? I have a stubborn case of cyano right now that I think is being fueled by the high nitrate. Knock on wood my corals are still colored up and growing great.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks really good!

I may have missed it earlier but have you thought about using Seachem Matrix or Siporax to bring down Nitrate?
I’m having my own issues bringing down nitrate to where I want it in my 600 gal. system. I think I killed my biological anaerobic filter when I dosed Cipro 6 months ago. My new plan of attack is adding some IPSF sand/rubble to a reactor full of seachem matrix.

Also, are you still dealing with cyano? I have a stubborn case of cyano right now that I think is being fueled by the high nitrate. Knock on wood my corals are still colored up and growing great.

Thank you!

I have looked into getting some K1 media and tumbling it in a section of the sump. Matrix or Siporax may work even better.

Right now I just implemented a Sulphur Denitrator and have heard they work great too. I haven't been able to get a consistent flow through the reactor yet since it's being fed from a manifold but I have plans to get another dosing pump to consistently feed it to see even better results. So far the water in the show tank is around 50 for nitrates... comes out of the reactor at 5... so it's getting there...

I do have some cyano creeping back in lately. Last time I treated the whole system with chemiclean and it worked great. May have to do that again here shortly.

Stoked your corals are colored up and growing great!! ;)

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The public aquarium is coming along swimmingly! Love the yellow fiji leather and the mangroves, I’m sure you have some insane plan for those when they get bigger.

Would loge to see a pic of the trumpets you got with the leather all opened up :D

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The public aquarium is coming along swimmingly! Love the yellow fiji leather and the mangroves, I’m sure you have some insane plan for those when they get bigger.

Would loge to see a pic of the trumpets you got with the leather all opened up :D
Thanks!

I love the little things these days...

Those mangroves take a lot of squirt bottling every day :oops:!! I also fill their baskets up with fresh RODI water a few times a week (they are lined with thick plastic with just the tops allowing for a little SW flow through). They have a ton of room for upward growth in the sump area... can't wait for them to grow bigger!!

I'll post some pics soon of the trumpets and the leather ;)

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I love the little things these days...

Those mangroves take a lot of squirt bottling every day :oops:!! I also fill their baskets up with fresh RODI water a few times a week (they are lined with thick plastic with just the tops allowing for a little SW flow through). They have a ton of room for upward growth in the sump area... can't wait for them to grow bigger!!

I'll post some pics soon of the trumpets and the leather ;)
If you weren't already battling humidity with your public aquarium i would suggest a little humidifier near the mangroves. But maybe an automatic misting system like in a grocery store produce section would work

jeremym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jeremym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I had a chameleon but could never keep the humidity up and get it to eat so unfortunately it didn't survive long.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back