Anemone dying or hungry?

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so need little help with this one.

Mouth is opened, but the anemone does shrink and puff up and excrete waste, tentacles are not that responsive, mouth stays open, it eats it tentacles for some reason. It did excrete a ball like jelly piece yesterday.

All tank parameters are stable, and other corals (elegance, torches, zoas, leather) and 1 Mini maxi + 3 Rock flower all doing good.

Alk 8
Cal 440
Mag 1400
Nitrate 15
Phos 0.05
Salinity 35
Ph 8.1
Temp 25

Is it hungry? Should I ignore it or start feeding? I feed it once a week with mysis, squid etc (small pieces). Should I increase the feed directly to its mouth?

Par he's getting is around 150-170 (I tried high par, but it will close and never open), during moonlight it opens up the most, but mouth still remains open.

I see tentacle pieces (tips) from time to time lying on the sand below. Is it just throwing itself out?

This is recent split (was doing fairly good until it got chopped off in the overflow (2-3 tentacles).

20240402_200417.jpg 20240402_200418.jpg

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get hammered with the over flow has probably set it back just keep a close eye on it in the picture it’s mouth is closed so that’s a a good sign. But yes it looks unhappy. Feeding some do some don’t. If you’re going to feed it use a baster see if it eats . IT’s condition is probably due to the trauma. Other members will chime in too help you

OP
OP
M

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1st post shows mouth as open, maybe not clear in photos, but to visible eye it is.

Every other day or every 3 days, when it closes, it moves this ball like jelly out, which has some of its color yellow (like powder bits of it), is that just waste?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to the rest of your corals? I think your tank as a whole is not doing well. You need to do water change and optimize your tank water condition. It last oks like poor water condition to me.

OP
OP
M

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to the rest of your corals? I think your tank as a whole is not doing well. You need to do water change and optimize your tank water condition. It last oks like poor water condition to me.
How do you say that?
My parameters have been stable at the numbers above, and all corals are doing great and growing. Cotton Candy torch almost has 2 heads.
Zoas and toadstool leather have doubled in size.

I do 10% water change every week (Red sea salt - red box). Tank size is 245L (display 200L)

Do I need to start dosing Aminos? Does it help?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend that you dose anything. Your anemone does not look well. The drop off tentacles are tentacles that twisted and pinched off. The jelly ball you mentioned seem to be bleaching and the anemone expel zooxanthellae. All of these point to stress of the anemone. Chemical changes of the water, toxin (bad stuff in the water) macro or micro toxin, instability of the parameter of the tank etc. These does not seem to be infection to the anemone.
Can you give a wider picture to your tank se we can see what the rest of the tank look like?

OP
OP
M

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend that you dose anything. Your anemone does not look well. The drop off tentacles are tentacles that twisted and pinched off. The jelly ball you mentioned seem to be bleaching and the anemone expel zooxanthellae. All of these point to stress of the anemone. Chemical changes of the water, toxin (bad stuff in the water) macro or micro toxin, instability of the parameter of the tank etc. These does not seem to be infection to the anemone.
Can you give a wider picture to your tank se we can see what the rest of the tank look like?
I will send wider photo tomorrow, in terms of your other comments, does Carbon reactor need to be ON?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are reports that activated carbon can cause significant problem for our tank. This is due to impurities in the activation process at this time. Seems to be across all brands.
I don’t use carbon so you are going to have to do your own research on this.

OP
OP
M

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pix of my tank

Attachments

• 20240403_112348.jpg
    20240403_112348.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240403_112342.jpg
    20240403_112342.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240403_112337.jpg
    20240403_112337.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
M

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I started dosing Aminos, and now my BTA looks better, slowly starting to get the color back, and getting thick tentacles, still has the mouth opened, but half way this time.

My question is, did the Amino do the trick? Whats the correlation if any?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back