Anemone????

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an E. quadricolor (( BTA )).

It is not a "sebae" --- which actually can refer to 2 different species, H. malu and H. crispa, of which it is neither. The underside of the oral disc is smooth, so it can't be either one.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked up all three. Still looks like a sebae to me. The oral disks look the same. The bubbletips look similar. But I think the seb aes look closer. I would look for yourself and decide. No offense meant trex. But I am also always cautious of people who state their opinion as fact. I'm not saying your wrong. Just scares me that you are so sure.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are you referring to when you say "sebae" ? Google image search for "sebae" is going to turn up a lot of wrong results. At least try using the proper name, and not the common one.

Why does it scare you that I am so sure about the ID? Been keeping hosting anemones for 20+ years now, including E. quadricolor, H. malu and H. crispa. Not all IDs are easy, but if you have kept the species in question for any length of time, it does because a bit easier.

The underside of the oral disc of E. quadricolor is different than the ones for H. malu and H. crispa.

BTW --- I never said the word "fact" in my post about its ID.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said I meant no offense. You could be right. 20years you probably are. I just googled all three names you listed. I thought both crispa and malu shi wed pics that are closer than when you google e. Quadricolor. The disks on the sebaes look the same as his pics to me. The first pics he showed show ridges in the disk. So do the sebaes on google. I'm probably wrong. I only have 9 years reefing. And I'm a carpet and regular bta guy. Dont like too many nems. And I don't find condys, sebaes, magnificents, or others attractive at all. So please don't be upset. My OPINION is soley based on comparing google images. Hardly fool proof. Lastly even when you have a specamin in front of you some ids are incredably difficult. So to make a possative I'd from a few pics seems presumptive to me. If I learned anything in this hobby it is to be humble because everyone is wrong sometimes. A lot of experienced posative opinions steered me wrong. I like the opinions that are strong but not posative. Just my opinion. In the end we should all take the opinuons as a start point for our own research. Again my opinion. Sorry if I offend.

Triggerpuller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you can rule out Condi, its not a condi. I have a few Condis in my tank and it looks more like a type of BTA, although I am not sure which as I have not seem too many BTAs with that coloration. I have some plain brown ones that look similar to yours though. Being a sebaes I am sure of that. It doesn't seem to have the correct shape. But one trait they have is being extremely sticky. That's how I would try to figure out the difference.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tentacles and disc definitely look like a bubble tip. It's lost some of its color which makes it seem lighter. Feeding it (not too much or too often) is a good idea - maybe a small piece of shrimp once a week. In a good environment, it should regain some its color.

OP
OP
andrea.nichols.1650

andrea.nichols.1650

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think its a sebae .... Its disk is round sebae have like a clover look like the sides pinch together plus they like sand this one has its foot in between 2 rocks ... It has sat there n hasnt moved.. It just got all crumbled looking n spit out a brown chunk .. Now i dont know if it zoo coming out or if its expelling the food waste from when i fed it yesterday

OP
OP
andrea.nichols.1650

andrea.nichols.1650

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do i tell about it being sticky im sure ad hell not touching it myself i do the with my frog spawn n it clings to my finger but im not touching a nem lol

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights do you have?
What lights was it under?
Did you acclimate it to your lights?

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is pictures i just took
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430105125.924619.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430105134.996625.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430105146.368758.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430105165.277535.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430105177.801486.jpg

Sebae anemone

OP
OP
andrea.nichols.1650

andrea.nichols.1650

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a low watt led light and also 2 mini compact fluorescent light bulbs on my tank because my t5 set took a crap on me ... Its kept my sps looking good ... But at the moment i only keep the mini compacts on till it gets used to my tank i only turned on the led to get a good pic of the nem...

In the store they are just under regular power compacts honestly they are really used for fowlr tanks

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like was mentioned by another poster, it is bleached, but not all that much. Overall it looks decent.

When you get your T5s fixed, I would run them on your normal schedule, and place one or 2 layers of window screening b/t the lights and the tank. Remove a layer every 5-7 days. The screening can be supported by egg crate, similar to this;

top right,

FTS4_7_10.jpg

OP
OP
andrea.nichols.1650

andrea.nichols.1650

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks... All this started when i asked my cousin if gbta have purple tips and he said no so i sent a pic n he said deff not a gbta its a condy... But i have found pics of gbta with purple tips so im aiming for gbta ...

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO (( yes, opinion, never said fact )), it is an E. quadricolor (( BTA )), I have no doubt about my opinion on this ID.

The stripes on the oral disc (( first picture in post 33 )), are another give away for that ID.

This was from a long long time ago. The lights were off, but you can see the colored tips of this E. quad that I used to own,

Clarkii-1.jpg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bleached gbta with purple tips. and yes, it can sting all of your coral.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2IMAG0135.jpg

Here's one of my old e. quads.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back