Angel Fish - Reef safe with caution!

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey All,
I had a swallow tail angel. Loved that fish. How ever many months later, after breaking down my tank and moving and now having the tank back up I am stocking up on fish. Turns out, those fish have gotten pricey (what hasn't?).

Been looking around, and see plenty of the "with caution" angels in people's reefs. Any experiences with them, good or bad that reefers want to share?

Part of me wants to throw caution to the wind and go for it. Part of me worries that I'll end up regretting it. I totally get that it is hugely dependent on the individual fish.

Tank is a 72"x24" 155 gallon mixed reef of zoas, LPS and some SPS with a clam or two and potentially a nem as well. Don't have a specific fish in mind. But am looking to fill it out with some show fish...a couple of tangs, an angel, and some wrasses.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230710_134145.jpg

I got one of these. Def nips corals. Doesnt straight up devour em. But can irritate em.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"With Caution" Angel's are a hard no for me. I had to remove a Red Striped Angel (Eibli Angel) it had all my Zoas, Gorgonians, Acros and Stylos completely closed up. I've had a female swallowtail for about a year and she hasn't touched a coral.

OP
OP
Rob.In.AZ

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"With Caution" Angel's are a hard no for me. I had to remove a Red Striped Angel (Eibli Angel) it had all my Zoas, Gorgonians, Acros and Stylos completely closed up. I've had a female swallowtail for about a year and she hasn't touched a coral.

Yeah, my swallow tail was awesome. Model reef citizen.
20230710_134145.jpg

I got one of these. Def nips corals. Doesnt straight up devour em. But can irritate em.

Bi-Color is on the list. Maybe thinking more along the lines of a pigmy cherub or a pigmy cherub pair. Or going for a big angel as kind of a center piece fish.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had SPS systems. Always in love with Angels but just couldn't pull the trigger to put my SPS at risk. Genicanthus Angels are a different story. These are plankton eaters and will leave corals alone. I have a juvenile Lemark Angel in my current system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back