• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Another vendor to avoid: AquariumFishDepot.com

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

ebeltran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share a really terrible experience I just had with AquariumFishDepot.com to help anyone researching ordering from them.

I placed a $350 order last month for 4 fish. Because I was over a certain $ threshold I got free shipping and boxing fees. The fish arrive and 3 are near death. They need pictures, videos, and detailed descriptions of my acclimation process, but finally agree to a 'gift card' for two of the fish, for about $200. Only 1 of the 4 fish lives past a couple days.

So the other day I take a look at the site and place another order. Only now, since I'm just trying to use the 'gift card', I don't hit the threshold for free shipping and boxing. Its $60. So although I got 'refunded' for the two fish, I can only afford $140 worth of fish. Well, that's only enough to replace 1 of the 2, so I order 1 fish.

It comes dead. Totally dead, completely shredded from either rough handling or just panicking to death in the bag. I send a video, they don't respond at all, but issue a 'gift card' in the amount of price of the fish, $120. So I email them and explain, this doesn't work out: given your shipping and boxing fees, that original $200 gift card is now going to get me a $60 dollar fish? They say tough luck, their details are on the website, get ******.

So basically I'm out $350 with 1 fish to show for it. And I'm wondering, are they shipping dead fish to skip out on their refunds? Who knows, its a crap shoot.

So far, my experiences ordering fish online are below. Let me know if you have had different experiences or know of other vendors and I'll update this for future searchers:

S Tier: Blue Zoo Aquatics
B Tier: Live Aquaria
F Tier: Aquarium fish Depot, SaltwaterFish.com

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will only order coral or cuc online any longer and from a very short list of vendors. I have a lfs that will order fish for me if they are available from their suppliers. I like doing it that way because the store takes the chance on doa but let's me pick the fish up still bagged so they only have to be acclimated once. They also discont the price since they don't have to worrying about a loss as long as the fish looks good in the bag I take it.

OP
OP
E

ebeltran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try to do a chargeback tomorrow, but I don't have high hopes. I threatened them with it, and they told me 'good luck, all our policies are online, you got what you paid for'.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Always use same vendors and ship to the airport. eliminates A lot of the issues if they bag them and they are in your quaranteen system in a few hours.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try to do a chargeback tomorrow, but I don't have high hopes. I threatened them with it, and they told me 'good luck, all our policies are online, you got what you paid for'.

Do it. The CSR working the phone for chase, or whomever does not give a flying F about the vendors "stated policy" on their website. Was the merchandise delivered as was expected? IF no, did you make good faith attempts to correct the issue? If yes, they'll hit that big "submit" button without a second thought. They want you 1: off the phone, and ideally 2: satisfied with their service.

There are whole departments behind the scenes that will deal with the vendor. I have never had a chargeback denied, that said I only utilize them when its appropiate, but these are what merchant services fees cover.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do a chargeback and never do business with them again. They are bluffing though because the odds are very much in your favor and they know it. Just explain all the details in the chargeback and chances are you will succeed. It doesn't matter what the policies are in the end if you didn't get what you paid for. Pretty tired of some of these vendors and store credit for DOA where you have to come back and pay for shipping, box, tax again in addition to the fact they are hoping you will spend additional money. It's a vicious cycle.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's bad customer service.

I don't understand why a retailer is willing to loose reputation, customers over $60.

I build reef structures for local and people out of state. One reef structure arrived in pieces. I built the customer a new reef structure and paid for shipping out of my pockets. She was kind enough to send me some money for the shipping, but i never asked her to. I end up loosing money on that transaction, but i didn't mind as she was happy.

OP
OP
E

ebeltran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the same people as aquariumdepot.com in Orlando? They went out of business and rebranded twice with new websites.

Is this another of the same moves?
I just checked the website and apparently they're in San Diego, which makes this all even more baffling. I'm in Portland Oregon, why is it so hard to get healthy fish to me? One more vote for scam from me.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back