Another "which return pump" thread

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a few years since ive had to buy a return pump. I used to just rock the Jebaos because they were cheap, but ive had most of them break in one way or another. either the controller goes bad or the pump itself breaks or parts start rusting in the tank or the cords start tearing and exposing raw wiring...

SOOOO moving forward, im thinking im gonna move away from the cheapo pumps and shoot for something more quality built that i shouldn't have to be AS worried about it breaking down.

So what are some good DC return pumps out there that wont completely break the bank? extra points if they run relatively quietly

Tank is a 220G with a ~60G sump and will be running a Bean/Herbie style double drain

was considering the Sicce SDC pumps, but what else are people using that they like?

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my Sicce SDC pumps.
yea with those i was looking at either the SDC 6 or the SDC7, not sure which would be better for my size tank.
Converting their flow charts from metric to US always gets me confused lol

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with the Current USA pumps?
they seem to be a bit cheaper than the sicce, but they also kind of look like just a rebranded Jebao so im cautious

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with the Current USA pumps?
they seem to be a bit cheaper than the sicce, but they also kind of look like just a rebranded Jebao so im cautious

Current USA had a very low quality controller- a super cheap thin plastic housing in a silicone sleeve. Cable gland pulled out, knob fell off, and oddly my return chamber level (in a 300g!) seemed to be inconsistent and set off ATO alarms. It never happened with the previous Jebao, or the subsequent SDC 9.0. I suspect the speed potentiometer was unstable or susceptible to moisture.

Sicce is where to be these days. A company confident enough in their product to offer a 5 year warranty. Unheard of in this price segment.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current USA had a very low quality controller- a super cheap thin plastic housing in a silicone sleeve. Cable gland pulled out, knob fell off, and oddly my return chamber level (in a 300g!) seemed to be inconsistent and set off ATO alarms. It never happened with the previous Jebao, or the subsequent SDC 9.0. I suspect the speed potentiometer was unstable or susceptible to moisture.

Sicce is where to be these days. A company confident enough in their product to offer a 5 year warranty. Unheard of in this price segment.
yea thats kind of what i was expecting to hear with the CURRENT USA.

and yea the fact they offer a warranty is super nice.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now the question is do i get the 6.0 or go with the 7.0 for an extra $40?

My thinking is with the 7.0 i could run the pump at a lower speed and therefor not put as much wear on the pump and have it last longer vs running the 6.0?

Return height is roughly 5 ft off the floor from the sump.

Attachments

• SDC-BOX-CHART-1000x1000__63086.jpg
    SDC-BOX-CHART-1000x1000__63086.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 38

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 6.0 would be just fine for your system, but going larger wont hurt either. You can always have that additional flow in your back pocket if you need it in the future.

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my Versa for years without fail and no noise at all. I am not sure how the Sicce DC pumps are but the zero clearance one and a few of the smaller pumps can be noisy. In my AIO I ditched the Sicce for the IM Mighty Jet Mini and pure silence at a low operating cost. The Mighty Jet XL would be one to consider as well for your system size.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my Sicce SDC pumps.

I second the sicce pumps. They are reliable and still affordable.

How quiet or loud would you guys say your pumps are? is the noise noticeable through a stand?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao DCP are the best pumps available right now when factoring in performance and cost.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'll be the first to recommend a Vectra.
They get alot of hate, but I have a 5 year old M2.
Had a M1 for 4-5 years and sold it to a friend and he used it for 4 more years before taking down the system.

A M2 might work depending on the flow rate you want, so a L2 might be in order.

If you have the budget a RD3 would be worth looking at.
I'm at 10 years with my 150 watt RD3 and still silent.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back