Another "which return pump" thread

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with the Current USA pumps?
they seem to be a bit cheaper than the sicce, but they also kind of look like just a rebranded Jebao so im cautious
I'm running 2 of these. Have been for nearly 3 years on a 180 gallon and 80 gallon system. Never an issue with them. In fact I have a Neptune Cor20 I bought new when I got the larger tank. I prefer the current. The Neptune at least mine needs to be taken out for cleaning every couple months. It always goes to limp mode it seems. The currents just keep going and when I do pull them they're always clean. Lesson learned for me. Price doesn't mean it's better as far as pumps go.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be the first to recommend a Vectra.
They get alot of hate, but I have a 5 year old M2.
Had a M1 for 4-5 years and sold it to a friend and he used it for 4 more years before taking down the system.

A M2 might work depending on the flow rate you want, so a L2 might be in order.

If you have the budget a RD3 would be worth looking at.
I'm at 10 years with my 150 watt RD3 and still silent.
I had a 100w RD3 but it was too big for my return chamber so I had to go with the 50w. It’s super silent

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sicce is my best and most trusted. Previously was Danner supreme aquamaster.

JulesH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a few years since ive had to buy a return pump. I used to just rock the Jebaos because they were cheap, but ive had most of them break in one way or another. either the controller goes bad or the pump itself breaks or parts start rusting in the tank or the cords start tearing and exposing raw wiring...

SOOOO moving forward, im thinking im gonna move away from the cheapo pumps and shoot for something more quality built that i shouldn't have to be AS worried about it breaking down.

So what are some good DC return pumps out there that wont completely break the bank? extra points if they run relatively quietly

Tank is a 220G with a ~60G sump and will be running a Bean/Herbie style double drain

was considering the Sicce SDC pumps, but what else are people using that they like?
I use the Sicce SDC3 on my tank. It's quiet, powerful. The app is not bad and the pump measures water temperature which is a good safeguard.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a few years since ive had to buy a return pump. I used to just rock the Jebaos because they were cheap, but ive had most of them break in one way or another. either the controller goes bad or the pump itself breaks or parts start rusting in the tank or the cords start tearing and exposing raw wiring...

SOOOO moving forward, im thinking im gonna move away from the cheapo pumps and shoot for something more quality built that i shouldn't have to be AS worried about it breaking down.

So what are some good DC return pumps out there that wont completely break the bank? extra points if they run relatively quietly

Tank is a 220G with a ~60G sump and will be running a Bean/Herbie style double drain

was considering the Sicce SDC pumps, but what else are people using that they like?
I've been using a Sicce SDC 7.0 in my G2 625 Reefer for about the last year. Zero problems with it. Easy to clean, very reliable, and I run it at 67%. That would get my vote. Plus, it's on sale right now for Black Friday.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with the Current USA pumps?
they seem to be a bit cheaper than the sicce, but they also kind of look like just a rebranded Jebao so im cautious
Ive used current usa for 6 years. 2 pumps swapped each year for cleaning. Very happy with them, adjustable and quiet.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Black Friday is starting already, I have seen some aggressive pricing, even to pre covid pricing .

Planted Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current USA had a very low quality controller- a super cheap thin plastic housing in a silicone sleeve. Cable gland pulled out, knob fell off, and oddly my return chamber level (in a 300g!) seemed to be inconsistent and set off ATO alarms. It never happened with the previous Jebao, or the subsequent SDC 9.0. I suspect the speed potentiometer was unstable or susceptible to moisture.

Sicce is where to be these days. A company confident enough in their product to offer a 5 year warranty. Unheard of in this price segment.
Stay away from all things Current USA.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce for smaller AC pumps are good. I have eight Reef Octopus Varios 8 pumps in my system, which have been perfect for 3 years. I also have a Vectra L2, which has stalled several times since I've had it. The Varios line used to be significantly cheaper than the Vectra line, but not so much any more. DC pumps are usually quieter and more efficient per watt, but more expensive to buy...

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus Varios 6 on my new system and it's great man. Plenty of power and Inaudible. And when I hook up extra stuff to my manifold, I can just turn up the speed.
I hope it's reliable because so far there is nothing to NOT like.

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number one rule for me is; *NO internal pump ever, heat, plastic DC NO WAY. The life is so, so short lived any brand!. Ever had a pump go down and be at the mercy of your next pay check..? Not for me period. It is nothing to plump a pump in, I have never had one leak or drip ever!. I also feel like with a external pump I have way more control over my tanks - period. With that being said, there is ONLY one pump I would ever both buy and use. I bought a **Japanese Iwaki 100r 27 years ago it has pumped right at 2160 *PLUS gallons an hour, 36 plus gallons per min at a head height of 39ft at 25psi that's running wide open. I run 265 gallons plus total on my system and it also runs my skimmer as well, it's 5 foot tall. With 2 tanks a 90 and a 110 and a 100 gallon sump of sorts, it is a 100 gallon plastic horse trough with my sump in it, I keep that down in my basement lol. If the power go's off no problem, that way it never overflows in my basement. These are heavy duty pumps and have a huge real head height. They only pump water that you need in your tank or tanks.. Ball valves control the amount of water the pump can push out, because of the magnetic drive.

Mine went bad on me right at about 2 years ago now. It started to just kind of squeal just a little bit off and on... I knew. I shopped very extensively both USED 1st then new lastly. I did buy a new one from BRS for $478 dollars free freight. But I will never use or buy any other pump ever - Iwaki 100 percent..! My old one lasted right at 27 years, yes that's right 365 days a year, 24-7, for 27 years. That breaks down to.. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week = 168 hours a week, 168 hours a week x 52 weeks = 8736 hours in a year, 8736 hours x 27 years = 235,872 TOTAL HOURS THIS PUMP AND RAN NON - STOP... Just one question I have to asked: Can anyone tell me is there a better pump out there really?

I have never changed any part on this pump ever, not the impeller, nor have I ever even cleaned it..! No other pump will last this long ever- not one.... I did talk to the factory direct no changes have ever been made on them at all. And I did get the dark gray replacement pump just like "I" had before, again bought the new one from BRS aquarium ** Japanese Only is the secret **. I also after a little homework, found I can replace $7.90 in good bearings to rebuild my OLD Japanese Iwaki 100r pump. $30.00 in labor using my $7.90 parts, at any local electric motor repair company in your own town. Best advice in the world get one that last's 27 years or just buy plastic over and over again. And having this exact conversation again 3 to 4 years from now... And spending a lot more monies $$$ in the long run, seriously.. Iwaki pumps I highly recommend, they are just one of those products and there are very few left. Some 40+ years with salty fingers here... Good Luck.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how cute. Everyone with 5, 6 year old pumps think that is old. My iwaki has been running since 2005 24/7. Never been cleaned; never had an impeller replaced. I don’t even have a spare on hand, because I just don’t need one. So you all can keep your DC crap and be happy with your 5 year life expectancy. I’ll buy one AC pump and never need another pump again, while you convince yourself that saving 15 cents a month in electricity makes a difference to your budget.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sicce sdc 9 has been running since January 2018. Clean twice in the first 3 years and not since. It's in my basement but this is my Db from my phone. The max noise is because my wife was doing laundry. LOL
6 years, 14ft head, 66%.

Screenshot_20180217-100403.jpg

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how cute. Everyone with 5, 6 year old pumps think that is old. My iwaki has been running since 2005 24/7. Never been cleaned; never had an impeller replaced. I don’t even have a spare on hand, because I just don’t need one. So you all can keep your DC crap and be happy with your 5 year life expectancy. I’ll buy one AC pump and never need another pump again, while you convince yourself that saving 15 cents a month in electricity makes a difference to your budget.
This isn’t a “what’s best” argument thread. This was a thread where I asked people a specific question for my tank based on my preferences.
You clearly ignored all of that and have nothing helpful to add to the conversation so please just don’t reply next time when you’re going to just make fun of the OP and call them dumb because they chose things differently than you.
“if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”
Being nice is free.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similarly sized Reef Octopus and Sicce DC return pumps running side-by-side on my tank. The Reef Ocotopus is absolutely silent straight out of the box. The Sicce is only very quiet at lower speeds (ie, 65% or less but even then Reef Octopus is noticeably quieter).

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sicce sdc 9 has been running since January 2018. Clean twice in the first 3 years and not since. It's in my basement but this is my Db from my phone. The max noise is because my wife was doing laundry. LOL
6 years, 14ft head, 66%.

Screenshot_20180217-100403.jpg
I also ran decibel tests using my iPhone with Sicce and Reef Octopus return pumps inside my sump with the tank stand doors closed. Got in the mid to high 30s or so if I remember right with the Sicce whereas the Reef Octopus made basically zero detectable noise. To some the Sicce low hum is not annoying but for me it was super annoying. Over time the noise got quieter as the pump built up a slime layer. I tested both at 60%

Last edited:

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what breaking the bank might be but it's hard not to continue looking at jebaos with that statement.
Of the dc pumps I've used/still use(ignoring price)

Red dragon 3 > red dragon 5 > vectra >varios> sicce sdc> jebao >>> neptune cor in terms of quality+longevity/service(if needed)/ease of use

If factoring price
Red dragon 3 > red dragon 5 > jebao >>> Varios > vectra > sicce >>>>>> neptune cor (I dont think i've ever used a return pump ac or dc thats worse than this one)

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can fit two return pumps in your sump and your tank has two return bulkheads go for two instead of one. Even if it means two cheaper ones. The redundancy is great piece of mind,

0ttr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce for me... the price split is whether you want the SDC wifi controllable version. IMO, that's overkill for me. The basic pump is great for the price.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back