any copperbands eating pellets, dried foods?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my cbb for 5 plus years. Healthy good eater but would like to be able to autofeed with pellets or dried worms. Anyone have cbb eating dried food, if so what? Thought I'd mix some in and see, maybe skip a feeding and try just the pellets.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my copperband for four years now. He’s like yours. Only eating frozen food. So I’m following to see if someone has any ideas. I will say my CB competes and holds his own at feeding time with the tangs. Often taking food from them. However pellets and flakes gets on love from him.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Had my cbb for 5 plus years. Healthy good eater but would like to be able to autofeed with pellets or dried worms. Anyone have cbb eating dried food, if so what? Thought I'd mix some in and see, maybe skip a feeding and try just the pellets.
Mine eats everything in site and would probably eat a dog bone if I offered it

copperband3.jpg
copperband.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats freeze dried mysis from the Avast plank.
Also sometimes I soak the freeze dried mysis in Selcon in a cup and add them from a pipette and he seems to go after them quicker, maybe they taste better with the Selcon. And he eats nori I cut into small squares

OP
OP
jtf74

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also sometimes I soak the freeze dried mysis in Selcon in a cup and add them from a pipette and he seems to go after them quicker, maybe they taste better with the Selcon. And he eats nori I cut into small squares
Thanks . Didn't know you could get freeze dried. I'll try this since mine eats frozen mysis readily.

OP
OP
jtf74

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It worked. Just bought some freeze dried mysis from Petco and both butterflies went right to it. Now I can auto-feed!!!

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks . Didn't know you could get freeze dried. I'll try this since mine eats frozen mysis readily.

there is freeze dried copepods too for the even more pickey eatters.

The only freeze dried i would avoid tho is the brine shrimp.
It comes in like cubes, but when you break them up it litterally melts and unless your fish eats the cube directly it serves little to no purpose.

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It worked. Just bought some freeze dried mysis from Petco and both butterflies went right to it. Now I can auto-feed!!!
Your welcome! I bought the plank to be able to autofeed these to my copperband. Wondering if you're using a regular automatic feeder with a feeding ring to keep them from floating into the overflow or?

simple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to mix pellets with Masstick. just soak the pellets in ro and mix it with masstick.
Attach as normal on the glas. My copperband now eats free flowing pellets from the water column!
I

OP
OP
jtf74

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome! I bought the plank to be able to autofeed these to my copperband. Wondering if you're using a regular automatic feeder with a feeding ring to keep them from floating into the overflow or?
I haven't begun to look into auto-feeding actually, but will soon. I did notice the mysis floats a while and when my butterflies go back into the display I was wondering how I'd make that work with overflow. They will both peck from the top surface so if hungry maybe they would get most of it. I will definitely try it for a few days while I'm at home first whatever I do. Thinking maybe a boxed area they could enter. Both are pretty tame and especially the yellow will go right into a box for food.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't begun to look into auto-feeding actually, but will soon. I did notice the mysis floats a while and when my butterflies go back into the display I was wondering how I'd make that work with overflow. They will both peck from the top surface so if hungry maybe they would get most of it. I will definitely try it for a few days while I'm at home first whatever I do. Thinking maybe a boxed area they could enter. Both are pretty tame and especially the yellow will go right into a box for food.
That’s what’s awesome about the plank. It hydrates the food and then the food enters the tank a few inches below the water surface. I’m very pleased with mine. My copperband also will go for the dehydrated mysis used in the plank.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats everything in site and would probably eat a dog bone if I offered it

copperband3.jpg
copperband.jpg
Your CBB eats dry food? Would you please come and train my spoiled fish? I can't even get my (very very chunky) Canthigaster valentini to eat dry food. These fish are smarter than I am, and apparently have more willpower...I should probably switch to pet rocks so I have at least a small chance of outsmarting them.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Your CBB eats dry food? Would you please come and train my spoiled fish? I can't even get my (very very chunky) Canthigaster valentini to eat dry food. These fish are smarter than I am, and apparently have more willpower...I should probably switch to pet rocks so I have at least a small chance of outsmarting them.
My feeder has a ring and when my CBB hears it, he has his big head in the ring to try and steal it all

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feeder has a ring and when my CBB hears it, he has his big head in the ring to try and steal it all
My valentini just looks at me with her big disappointed eyes if I try to make her eat pellets or something, and my willpower disappears, these fish totally dominate their human servant.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My valentini just looks at me with her big disappointed eyes if I try to make her eat pellets or something, and my willpower disappears, these fish totally dominate their human servant.
Valentini not big on dry. Offer: brine shrimp, small plankton, mysis shrimp and LRS nano frenzy

OP
OP
jtf74

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to mix pellets with Masstick. just soak the pellets in ro and mix it with masstick.
Attach as normal on the glas. My copperband now eats free flowing pellets from the water column!
I
Have never tried masstick. Like the idea
That’s what’s awesome about the plank. It hydrates the food and then the food enters the tank a few inches below the water surface. I’m very pleased with mine. My copperband also will go for the dehydrated mysis used in the plank.
Looks cool just read up on it. Thanks

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 33 21.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back