Any mature Royal Gramma's with Vibrant Color Intact?

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in my LFS the other day taking a close look at some fresh royal grammas they had for sale and I was just blown away by the coloration compared to mine that's been in my tank about 9 months. I realize colors can fade on many fish over time, but I'm shocked how stark the difference is in a relatively short time frame. It’s not just the vibrancy of the two separate colors, but specifically the middle area where the color transitions. It really sparkled on the fresh ones. After doing some reading, I understand this is a well-known phenomenon. Live aquaria writes that:

“One of the biggest drawbacks in keeping this resplendent fish is that its color often fades in captivity. The gramma may still be attractive even after this chromatic change, but the captive coloration is often only a shadow of its former brilliance. This is probably the result of dietary deficiency, but bright lighting and low dissolved oxygen levels are also a possible cause. The grammas will eat a variety of flake, frozen and fresh foods; the more varied the diet the less rapid or less likely color loss will occur.”

This is my favorite fish in my tank and one of the reasons I got a tank, so I’m keenly interested in understanding if this change is inevitable and/or reversable. These are one of the most common and popular fish so I’m kind of surprised the exact nutrient deficiency isn’t understood yet (assuming nutrients are the primary culprit). In the lack of actual studies or concrete evidence, I was hoping to just get more firsthand accounts from other royal gramma owners. My questions are:

1. Does anyone own an adult royal gramma that you feel looks the same as a newly caught one? If so what are you feeding?
  2. Does anyone have experience making a dietary change (or other change) that you feel brought back lost coloration in a royal gramma?

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine over a year and I think it looks as good or better than when I got it. I feed the tank once a day. Pellets one day, frozen mix the next. (Mysis shrimp, krill, marine algae, brine shrimp, etc.)

IMG_20240513_173732.jpg

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the bump. The most similar thread I've found on the topic is from Reef Central in 2010. A few forum members claimed their gramma colors were just as intense as day one. Though I would suggest anyone who thinks so first go look at some brand new specimens in person and not just go off memory or online photos. Like many fish you can't really tell the full story from photos you really have to seem them in person.

One person on that post wrote "I've seen some that were fed spirulina flakes from ON and they were practically glowing"....since spirulina is well known to support fish coloration and none of my current foods have any I'm adding this in just to see what happens. Figure there's zero risk.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be interesting to see how this goes with the captive bred grammas available now as well - are they as vibrant day 1 as the wild ones? and if so what are they being fed?

SAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i will be interested in seeing if this works. I wonder if keeping them solo vs multiple in a tank makes any difference?

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed yours?
I’m big on diversity to try and meet all of the nutritional needs. At night I alternate mysis, brine and LRS fish frenzy. In the morning I alternate TDO ChromaBoost pellets, flake and Reef Jerky.

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 that are 2 years old. Sorry for the dirty glass its hard to tell but they are quite vibrant. Anyways with a proper diet you shouldn't be concerned.

I use DKI pellets, which contain no wheat or land products (yeah, check your labels) for their base nutrition. I also feed myself (edit: mysis lol). However I don't feel either of these actually do much for pigment.

I also feed TDO pellets, which I believe aids color. They are bright red. Pigments are important! I lost a pistol shrimp once in a refugium, it lived on nothing but mostly algae somehow. When I found it months later, it was no longer just red and white, but bright green as well!

20240520_144451.jpg 20240520_144635.jpg

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been with me for about 7 months and a friend of mine had it before, so far the color is the same. I feed the fish quite varied, one day brine shrimp, another day pellets and another day flakes and so I take turns.
1000084133.jpg

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 that are 2 years old. Sorry for the dirty glass its hard to tell but they are quite vibrant. Anyways with a proper diet you shouldn't be concerned.

I use DKI pellets, which contain no wheat or land products (yeah, check your labels) for their base nutrition. I also feed myself (edit: mysis lol). However I don't feel either of these actually do much for pigment.

I also feed TDO pellets, which I believe aids color. They are bright red. Pigments are important! I lost a pistol shrimp once in a refugium, it lived on nothing but mostly algae somehow. When I found it months later, it was no longer just red and white, but bright green as well!

20240520_144451.jpg 20240520_144635.jpg
Yeah those look great!

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the pictures posted on this thread do not show the deep rich royal purple and gold color that grammas have when they first arrive in the LFS. Maybe it is just the lighting, but most look faded to me. Everyone immediately jumps to diet, but I would not underestimate the effect light intensity and spectrum of the sun compared to our tanks as a possible explanation. I have generally found that high intensity lighting improves the color of the fish.

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the pictures posted on this thread do not show the deep rich royal purple and gold color that grammas have when they first arrive in the LFS. Maybe it is just the lighting, but most look faded to me. Everyone immediately jumps to diet, but I would not underestimate the effect light intensity and spectrum of the sun compared to our tanks as a possible explanation. I have generally found that high intensity lighting improves the color of the fish.
Any picture?

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this guy in 2014 -- still have it, but this photo is from 2021 (I could take a fresh photo, but he looks the same). So, this is after 7 years in captivity. WC, from one of those Florida diver-direct operations. Eats my standard frozen mix (brine, mysis, cyclopods, calanus, with a squirt of Selcon) and Ken's color flakes.
DSC_0158.jpeg

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a captive bred brasiliensis (ORA) and colors are very vibrant. Do not have a recent photo, but feed a wide variety of food, rotated daily. 1) ON Prime Reef 2) ON Clams 3) Hikari Mysis 4) Hikari Spirulina Brine 5) Hikari Krill 6) TDO pellets

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone immediately jumps to diet, but I would not underestimate the effect light intensity and spectrum of the sun compared to our tanks as a possible explanation.
Yeah, the role of lighting on coloration/health hasn't been well studied yet, but it definitely plays a role, and so do a few other things:
Yeah, some things that can impact a fish's coloration (leaving a few irrelevant factors out of the conversation):
-Light (wavelength, intensity, and duration)
-Health
-Diet (including both vitamins, minerals, etc. and pigments like astaxanthin in a fish's diet)
-Various chemicals and hormones
-Genetics
For an example of the difference pigments in a fish's diet can make:
https://nhrec.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/vdocuments.net_clownfish-astaxanthin-study-reed-mariculture-astaxanthin-level-average-preference.pdf For an example of the difference that lighting can make:
For a deeper discussion on diet and coloration:
Foods with astaxanthin enhance (i.e. deepen) red/orange/pink coloration, and foods with spirulina in them are supposed to enhance blue/green colors (and according to one company in Japan, yellow too).
For an idea of some of the other things that have been/can potentially be used to improve coloration (use cautiously - too much of a lot of these can cause problems):

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture in this link would be about the closest to what I have seen when they first come in. The purple is much darker than what you typically see after a few weeks or months in a tank.

https://fantaseaaquariums.com/fishes-care/royal-gramma-care/
I agree with you. Many of the photos posted don't really show what I mean. They look like typical captive specimens not newly caught ones. That is an excellent photo of what I mean though I still say you can't really capture it fully in a picture.

There are other fish like this where cameras don't seem to capture the color fully. Springeri damsels and pink spot watchman are a few others that come to mind. Neither really photograph that well in my opinion but sparkle in person.

Last edited:

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back