Any Reefers near the SW Suburbs?

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I set up literally one of the smallest possible, a one-gallon AIO. I keep (12) freshwater nano tanks and this fit into my personal aesthetic. I hope to have a flourishing Zoa garden over the next year as I am all about the tiny things. :smiling-face:

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanover Park, near the menards, just getting into fragging and selling some corals!

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subject kind of says it all.

I'm in Hickory Hills near I-294 and 95th street.

Any reefers nearby?
I’m in New Lenox . Been reefing a couple years now. Glad to hear there’s more nearby . I have so much extra crap let me know if you need anything . I’ve bought everything in this hobby 3 times lol

OP
OP
Lord_Mort

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish shops do you all prefer in the area

The only ones I know of (locally) are Chicago Fish and Coral in Orland Park, Robs Aquatics in Tinley Park, and Aquatica, also in Tinley. They each have their pros and cons and should be checked out.

What size tank do you have?

Last edited:

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only ones I know of (locally) are Chicago Fish and Coral in Orland Park, Robs Aquatics in Tinley Park, and Aquatica, also in Tinley. They each have their pros and cons and should be checked out.

What size tank do you have?
I’m just planning right now, haven’t decided on size yet. I used to run a 75 gallon mixed reef and a 20 gallon nano, I am going to start up again in the nano range. I’ll check out all three of those places for sure.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update, today I visited both Aquatica and Rob's in Tinley. They were very helpful at Aquatica, but their prices were high and I don't feel like they are properly caring for their animals. Tanks were in general dirty, lighting was insufficient, and some of the livestock looked unhealthy. It seems like a very beginner friendly place, and the staff themselves were great. A+ on the kids working there for attitude and helpfulness.

Rob's seems like a place for experienced Reefer's. Rob himself was friendly and helpful, but obviously very busy and a little distracted. That's not a dig at him though, he was very helpful, I imagine he just runs a leaner shop with less staff, which is fine. His tanks and livestock however were in much better condition. Every tank was clean, all of his livestock looked healthy, he had a better frag selection and all of his tanks were lit appropriately. No animals struggling for light.

I would visit Aquatica again if I were looking for equipment or a tank, but for live stock I would go to Rob's. Better selection, better prices, and his animals are cared for better. From a livestock perspective I feel Rob's wins by a long shot. A very long shot.

OP
OP
Lord_Mort

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update, today I visited both Aquatica and Rob's in Tinley. They were very helpful at Aquatica, but their prices were high and I don't feel like they are properly caring for their animals. Tanks were in general dirty, lighting was insufficient, and some of the livestock looked unhealthy. It seems like a very beginner friendly place, and the staff themselves were great. A+ on the kids working there for attitude and helpfulness.

Rob's seems like a place for experienced Reefer's. Rob himself was friendly and helpful, but obviously very busy and a little distracted. That's not a dig at him though, he was very helpful, I imagine he just runs a leaner shop with less staff, which is fine. His tanks and livestock however were in much better condition. Every tank was clean, all of his livestock looked healthy, he had a better frag selection and all of his tanks were lit appropriately. No animals struggling for light.

I would visit Aquatica again if I were looking for equipment or a tank, but for live stock I would go to Rob's. Better selection, better prices, and his animals are cared for better. From a livestock perspective I feel Rob's wins by a long shot. A very long shot.

Good to know! I knew the previous owner of Aquatica (Mario) but he sold the business sometime last year. I haven't been there in a while and I'm sad to hear the place is going downhill. I'd love to hear your thoughts on Chicago Fish and Coral (aka Chicago Reptile House). Let me know when/if you check them out!

OP
OP
Lord_Mort

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I forgot to mention, Aquatica (at least with the previous owner) would always price match BRS on equipment so that might help you if they still honor that.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I knew the previous owner of Aquatica (Mario) but he sold the business sometime last year. I haven't been there in a while and I'm sad to hear the place is going downhill. I'd love to hear your thoughts on Chicago Fish and Coral (aka Chicago Reptile House). Let me know when/if you check them out!
Ah, I hadn't realized he had sold it. That makes a lot of sense then. Whoever owns it now isn't making sure the animals are cared for properly in my opinion, and that's not going to be something I want to support so for now Rob's will be my destination. I am also curious about Chicago Fish and Coral. I think I may take a trip over there this weekend. If I do, I will update here with my impressions.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in ottawa and drive to naperville for blueline corals you should look them up and tell Jay I sent you lol

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back