Evo 13.5 Gal Rehab

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

This is less of a build thread and more of a rehab/rescue thread. I inherited this nano reef when a friend of mine passed away.

I've had FW fish tanks my whole life and got into reef-keeping in my early 30s. I had a beautiful 75gal SPS going which ended taking a turn for the worse after being established for 3-4 years. At that point in my life, we were getting ready to buy our first home so I needed the time (and money) back from this hobby so I liquidated everything. I knew I would be back "some day" but figured it would probably be during my retirement.

Well, the untimely passing of my friend ended up getting me back into the hobby. I prefer to look at that as a Silver lining =)

So, the tank had been pretty neglected for a good 5-8 weeks between my friend's passing and my taking possession of the tank. His next of kin lives out of state so it took a while for them to get things in order. They were actually going to throw the tank out but luckily a family member knew how to reach me and asked if I wanted it. So, of course, I said YES!

This was in early June of 2021. At that point, I had been out of the hobby for 15+ years. The move was rushed and handled terribly wrong! Looking back, I should have moved all the LR and Fish with the majority of the tank water into buckets and drained the tank all the way with just leaving the sand wet. Unfortunately, being out of practice and in a hurry, I emptied the tank half way and muscled it into my car. Boy was that a mistake!

So much crap got stirred up from the sand bed which resulted in an ammonia spike. Within 24 hours the fish were dead and all the corals were closed. Despite heavy water changes, the ammonia continued to stay elevated. Soon, I was finding dead bristle worms all over the place and of course, that was just adding to the ammonia problem.

I ended up adding a second HOB power filter to help with the ammonia issue. I was able to get it back to zero within a couple of weeks.

Here are some photos from around that time period...

20210531_155948.jpg 20210531_160025.jpg 20210605_102352.jpg

OP
OP
Lord_Mort

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took much longer than I would have liked to get the ammonia in check. Once I finally did, I was welcomed with a major algal bloom...

Attachments

• 20210620_120521.jpg
    20210620_120521.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Lord_Mort

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next step was to get a whole new CUC. I got a few Nassarius snails, an emerald crab, maybe 6 or 8 hermit crabs, a couple of Turbo snails, Astrea snails and some Cerith snails.
I continued to struggle with different types of algae and cyano but overall the tank was doing much better.

Attachments

• 20210620_120341.jpg
    20210620_120341.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210620_120320.jpg
    20210620_120320.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210620_120325.jpg
    20210620_120325.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
Lord_Mort

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several weeks I decided it was time to get a fish. I went for a sand sifting blenny as it was one of the original inhabitants and it felt right to "replace" it. However, he didn't last more than a couple of weeks. (bummer)
Parameters were okay but at this point, I was pretty discouraged. I figured since I still had algae, there must be a nutrient imbalance. Now, since there were no fish, I figured, well, I'll just not feed the tank and see what happens...
It took a while but eventually the tank cleared up and I was ready to try again. I added a few new pieces of LR from local stores and got a few zoa frags that I liked.
This is where things started to go terribly wrong.

OP
OP
Lord_Mort

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first issue I dealt with after adding new LR and Zoas was an aptasia OUTBREAK. It started small with one little one which I carefully removed. Unfortunately, I was either too late, or not careful enough as within a few days I saw about 6 babies in different parts of the tank. I knew where this was heading so I started doing some research and discovered Berghia Nudibranchs. I thought, what an awesome way to eliminate a pest! I'll just get some of these critters and take care of it naturally. I must have tried adding them 3 or 4 different times (and waiting a couple of weeks each time for them to get "established") but they never seemed to take hold. And without any fish in the tank, I was a bit befuddled to say the least. Finally, around June of 2022, I found an LFS that "guaranteed" that their peppermint shrimp would take care of my aptasia problem. By this time, the aptaisia was over running my tank. Every coral was closed as a result so I was happy to give this a try. Sure enough, the guarantee was valid. Within a week, they were GONE! Way to go my little peppermint friends!

OP
OP
Lord_Mort

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the aptasia was gone the shrimp population dwindled quickly. I had started with 3 and was left with 1 in about a month. So, at this point, the corals are still recovering from the aptasia but I noticed I was getting some bubble algae. So, I added another emerald. The bubble algae was still preset but seemed to have stopped "progressing" so I thought things were going to be okay. LOL, WRONG!
In addition to the bubble algae, there were a few patches or mats of stuff that I had never seen before. Since there was some relatively new LR addition, I just figured it was some kind of moss or something and if it were algae, the cuc should take care of it. In the meantime, the corals were rarely open and even started melting. I wasn't sure
if it was from the aptasia or if the peppermint shrimp was to blame. This was around September of 2022 where I discovered TWO issues with my hardware. 1) my heater was malfunctioning and actual had the tank around 87° for who knows how long and 2) half of the blue LEDs went out on the standard Fluval light fixture that came with this EVO.

So, I had warm temps. No nutrients since there were no fish and I wasn't feeding the tank, and too much white light. This went on for at least a couple of months which cumulatively led to my latest challenge...

Anyone recognize what this nightmare is?

20221128_215647.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back