Any SPS dominant tanks with Kessils?

mr_gasket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His deep blue setting is 0% color, mid blue is 20%, low blue is 40% on the color spectrum, etc on up to 100% and then back down. The intensity looks like 75% based on the name of the setting. It looks like he also has some type of ramp up and ramp down in intensity for dawn and dusk settings.

Eckolancer,
What are the "if outlet" statements doing?

OP
OP
D

DVeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His deep blue setting is 0% color, mid blue is 20%, low blue is 40% on the color spectrum, etc on up to 100% and then back down. The intensity looks like 75% based on the name of the setting. It looks like he also has some type of ramp up and ramp down in intensity for dawn and dusk settings.

Eckolancer,

Ah gotcha. Thanks!

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eckolancer,

This is exactly it. My dawn is 30%ramping up to 75%. Dusk is 75% ramping down to 30%.

The if outlet statements are in there for when I turn on a ghost outlet that is set to those color settings or light intensities. There is no need for 100% intensity as just turning the intensity switch on it ramps it up to 100%. Hope that makes sense.

Rausch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 Kessil 350w on my 90 i also supplement with Current Marine Leds for more blue spectrum since i run the 350w at 100% on both channels 7.5 hrs a day with my supplimentals ramping up and down over a 12 hr period. Here are a few SPS photos under the kessils. (The full tank shot was taken before all of my SPS where added to the tank a while back, but you can still see a few)

IMG_1722.jpg

(Pacman Acro)
IMG_1713.jpg

(Hawkins Echinata)

IMG_1683.jpg

(FTS before all SPS)

The growth isnt spectacular but the color is great!!

BrotherReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 Kessil 350w on my 90 i also supplement with Current Marine Leds for more blue spectrum since i run the 350w at 100% on both channels 7.5 hrs a day with my supplimentals ramping up and down over a 12 hr period. Here are a few SPS photos under the kessils. (The full tank shot was taken before all of my SPS where added to the tank a while back, but you can still see a few)

IMG_1722.jpg
(Pacman Acro)
IMG_1713.jpg
(Hawkins Echinata)

IMG_1683.jpg
(FTS before all SPS)

The growth isnt spectacular but the color is great!!
That looks pimp Rauch.

sureal00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have one 360we on a 40 breeder

It's okay.I wish there was more info on kessils and sps as far as light schedules.For a popular brand there is limited information on them.Sometimes i feel like i have some brand that is not known of and i have to figure it out myself.

BrotherReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's okay.I wish there was more info on kessils and sps as far as light schedules.For a popular brand there is limited information on them.Sometimes i feel like i have some brand that is not known of and i have to figure it out myself.
If worse comes to worse. I'll supplement with T5s.

OP
OP
D

DVeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's the whole reason I made this thread and I'm trying to get people with sps success to post their settings. Actually I'm pretty happy with the results of the thread so far, lots of great info! Let's keep it going!

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you more likely to burn corals the higher the Color % goes up?? Also, what did a lot of you start off your intensity at with the 360's?? I have a 180 and have 4 360's (8 inches above water) and 2 t5 bulbs and I had to turn mine down all the way to 40% because I was frying more corals somehow at like 55%....Just switched to kessils about a month ago and still trying to figure them out for my tank.

sureal00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started mine at 35% and jumped up to 45 after the first week then incremented up 5% every week until i found a sweet spot for me at 65%

mr_gasket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started mine at 50% when I switched from a Kessil 150 to my 360WE, so it was pretty easy to know where to start at. From what I have read a PAR meter only measures visible light spectrum and the Kessil has very strong UV light in it, so you should be cautious when taking PAR readings from your old system to compare PAR readings under Kessils. Basically, if you have access to a PAR meter, take readings from your current system and maybe back your Kessil off so your readings are XX% lower than your current system. I don't know what the percentage is unfortunately. It would be a good experiment for anyone who has not switched yet though.

Here is the article discussing the UV output of the Kessil 160 vs an AI Hydra 26. It would be nice to know how a Kessil 360we compares to the Radion or Hydra 52 in terms of UV strength at depth.
Kessil A160we LED spotlight review: the best gets even better

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am runnign 3 360WES plus 2 80w ATI 4 bulb fixtures over my tank. I have the kessils up at 100% for at least 8 hours. I find that the kessils do not easily burn my corals like the other led fixtures that I had used prior.

I personally do not think the kessils are strong enough for SPS unless you run alot of fixtures. My tank is 60X35X21. I would need at least 12X 360WE for my tank. They are perfect in conjunction with the ATI fixtures. All my SPS are doing great under these lights.

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of light right there!!!! I'm at 40% with only two t5bulbs and my sps were burning like crazy when I had the kessils at 50% or higher!!! Every tank is different though so I guess I just have to go super slow and find my own sweet spot

Reef head

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1423848720242.jpg

You do not need to supplement kessils. Find anyone who runs these at 100% for 10hrs..... not needed, just a waste of money.

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is very wide. No issue with burnt corals under my light. My t5s r on for 8 hours. 6 hours of them all on.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back