Any way to control Zoa spread?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of my Zoa colonies is rapidly expanding into another, that’s been taking a little time to get going.

The second colony is now spreading, but I’m worried it’ll be overrun by Team Red before it establishes.

Any recommendations for corralling Team Red here?

/they’re closed because a hermit crab just barreled over them, normally they’re all wide open, just chose a bad time for a photo…

IMG_0156.jpeg

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you want the Rastas to have more space you can either frag the orange Bam Bams by using a sharp clean blade to cut through the mat. Make sure the blade doesn’t have a lubricant on it if it’s a razor blade. You can then use the blade or a different utensil to scrape the Zoas off the rock. Not gouging but you want to have some rock/coralline algae to be connected still to the bottom of the mat. Cyanoacrylate to a plug and they’re you go. You could also remove the Rastas and move them in a similar way for any growing on the rock already. Underwater, you’re not going to have a problem with palytoxin shooting out of the zoa and you don’t need a hazmat suit, just some gloves and safety glasses and keeping your mouth closed is fine. Don’t expose Zoas or Palys or any kind of hot water. People have done that in their sink to try kill them on a rock and the steam poisoned them and I think one fatally.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underwater, you’re not going to have a problem with palytoxin shooting out of the zoa and you don’t need a hazmat suit, just some gloves and safety glasses and keeping your mouth closed is fine. Don’t expose Zoas or Palys or any kind of hot water. People have done that in their sink to try kill them on a rock and the steam poisoned them and I think one fatally.
Are any of these known for palytoxin?

Sounds like my first foray into fragging is coming up soon…

Also, thank you all for the names on these things. I’ve just bought them on the sale racks based on what looked nice, so haven’t had names until now.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of these known for palytoxin?

Sounds like my first foray into fragging is coming up soon…

Also, thank you all for the names on these things. I’ve just bought them on the sale racks based on what looked nice, so haven’t had names until now.
You’re welcome. Palytoxin has only been scientifically confirmed in certain species, but it seems like there is no information on any species confirmed to not have it. There are something like 400 plus species of Zoanthid, Palythoa/Protopalythoa and telling the difference between species is pretty difficult, even with the best books and information available. Might be cool to talk to a Marine Biologist who specializes in the area. It’s better to treat them all as equally toxic until there’s a reliable way to identify the species or possibly test them for palytoxin in some convenient way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back