Best concentration and time in H2O2 dip for Zoas with hair algae?

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realize that you WILL have some algae... A healthy tank that supports coral also supports algae.
Totally! I started my tanks with aquacultured live rock and sand from TBS, which came with every imaginable algae, but nothing out of control. My concern is for the corals that I've placed in their own observation tank that have now exploded in hair algae. I'll tooth-brush it off, but if there's a dip that I can do I'd appreciate knowing about it. Thank you for your help!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally! I started my tanks with aquacultured live rock and sand from TBS, which came with every imaginable algae, but nothing out of control. My concern is for the corals that I've placed in their own observation tank that have now exploded in hair algae. I'll tooth-brush it off, but if there's a dip that I can do I'd appreciate knowing about it. Thank you for your help!
Get some algaevores.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't. I have these frags in a 10 gallon observation tank, and when done they are only going in a 15 gallon tank (soon to be a 40-90 gallon!). If there is another critter that eats algae definitely let me know!
Look up algaevore, lol. It's something that eats algae. LOTS of options out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up algaevore, lol. It's something that eats algae. LOTS of options out there.
Yes, but for a 10 gallon my options are quite limited. I think I may have to d some manual brushing and a careful hydrogen peroxide dip. Thank for your help!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but for a 10 gallon my options are quite limited. I think I may have to d some manual brushing and a careful hydrogen peroxide dip. Thank for your help!
A ten gallon is fine for snails, crabs, even a small urchin...
I have a turbo snail, 3 ceriths, 2 hermit crabs, and a few nerites in my 10 gallon.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish I would have saw this. I did full strength 3% for 8 min a couple of days ago. I meant to do 5 but got distracted while I was WFH. The algae is dead but only 2 of the 8 polyps have opened. Bummer... I got some torches that need it. I'm hesitant for sure.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I would have saw this. I did full strength 3% for 8 min a couple of days ago. I meant to do 5 but got distracted while I was WFH. The algae is dead but only 2 of the 8 polyps have opened. Bummer... I got some torches that need it. I'm hesitant for sure.
I have read that you should not use H2O2 on hammers (or torches or frogspawn). I believe you can very carefully brush their bases or plugs with peroxide, but you should not fully dip the coral in peroxide. From what I've read.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have read that you should not use H2O2 on hammers (or torches or frogspawn). I believe you can very carefully brush their bases or plugs with peroxide, but you should not fully dip the coral in peroxide. From what I've read.
I saw that after I posted. I'd the brown part of the Torch stem dead? That is where the majority of algae exists. Inwas considering dipping to right below the white part of the stem on one of the cheap torches first.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that after I posted. I'd the brown part of the Torch stem dead? That is where the majority of algae exists. Inwas considering dipping to right below the white part of the stem on one of the cheap torches first.
I think it's OK to very carefully hit just stony base with the peroxide, I'd avoid getting it on the soft tissue, from what I've read.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae does not grow on live coral tissue. If it's growing on the "stem", then the coral's tissue has receded and what you are seeing is skeleton.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Algae does not grow on live coral tissue. If it's growing on the "stem", then the coral's tissue has receded and what you are seeing is skeleton.
That's a great tip! It sure looks dead anyways. I picked it off last night. It's much happier today. It's not glued down. I'll just keep picking at it until it clears up. The Hermits have been helping quite a bit lately now that I got some red leg.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great tip! It sure looks dead anyways. I picked it off last night. It's much happier today. It's not glued down. I'll just keep picking at it until it clears up. The Hermits have been helping quite a bit lately now that I got some red leg.
You want to disturb the coral as little as possible. If you need to intervene again (if the hermits, etc aren't keeping up), use a q-tip or small paintbrush to apply some H2O2 to the algae, wait a few minutes, and then put the coral back in the tank. You can also use a spray bottle of H2O2, just be sure to spray "down" so none gets on the coral flesh. (Fwiw, a tiny bit for a few minutes on most LPS and soft corals won't hurt anything but it's best to try to avoid...)

Tritie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use straight 3% for 2 minutes. They close of about a 2-5 days, but are fine after.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen this type of algae that I am posting a pic of? I cant get rid of it no matter what I do. Its came on some wild corals and I had some zoas come in on brand new plugs and also the tiny square base that the zoas were on that glue to the plugs were new! They immediately started turning red like cyano or something and now I am noticing that type of wiry algae I am speaking of is mostly on the zoas but spreading to my highends and have lost a lot of them!

I started last night on charging the plugs because I keep a lot in my sump. problem is I basically have to remove the zoa from square base too and its almost like fragging them. Kind of hard to explain.

THis stuff is hard core because it has a root structure! I have been just squirting full straight peroxide inside the tank around plugs and I have also taken the out plucked all the hairs off scrubbed the hell out of it and within days I see tiny spikes of it coming back! I have reserched algaeas and look's like maybe calofix and it just recommends snails, emeralds but I dont want to add anymore now because I have to many zoas acclimating all high-end and dont want them eatten! LOL It also says manual removal but not getting anywhere with that because it returns!

I also have this free floating type algae that I blow with a baster and it scatters that might be calotrixI am getting confused with the two! I am blowing that stuff off and capturing with a net and baster! I read that was a type of cyano. I have some chemiclean in tank now but is scaring the hell out of me. It not on sand or anything just on the zoas! and the free floating one is on rocks a little bit! That one I think I can tackle with manual its the spikey wiry stuff like on the pic of my scoly before I stated plucking it! I change the plug on scoly and its gone!

First pic scoly and the wiry stuff 2nd is 1 day after putting my conch on frag rack. He cleared an amazing amout but I think he also ate some! 3rd pic is when it got real bad but its a mix of Both of the alages! Much much better but I dont want o move them to my frag tank of zoas with any at all on it!

I am not having this problem in my other tank full of zoa ect that dosnt have her plugs nor that type of snail!

I did have 6 martvin the martians melt and now my Godbeast which I paid a ton for looks to be melting! I cant find my dang lens to take pic of godbest. lol

I need help on melting zoas too!

Sorry so long! Thanks in advance!

also sorry If about hijackings your thread!

Attachments

• sea hair algae.jpg
    sea hair algae.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 8
  • sea hair on frags.jpg
    sea hair on frags.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 8
  • sea algae2.jpg
    sea algae2.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 8

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back