Anyone have any grown out reef raft sps? Does it look like it does on thier site?

show time

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo 1 (3).jpg
photo (5).jpg
photo 2 (4).jpg
No high tech camera here just my iphone only. These are from RR USA, not the best pictures but they are spot on the money as you can see.

photo 1 (3).jpg

photo (5).jpg

photo 2 (4).jpg

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a handful of reef raft usa pieces but no colonies. But I like them, they may not be as flamboyant as some might hope but I think they are pretty darn close to what is shown. Of course, beauty and potential are in the eye of the beholder. My frags are not perfect and unfortunately neither is my tank but take a peek. I just took these with four ati bulbs only (three blue plus and one purple plus), my halides come on later in the day and no leds as well. White balance corrected to temperature of 20k and exposure adjusted as well. I have some more frags but thought this was a nice group to share.

and another view and it looks a little different

SleepEatCorals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys after reading this post!!! I notice some people missing are out some things of keeping acropora and their colors! I hope I can help some of you or Inspire you !

Now do i believe alot of Retailer Photoshop Yes and No! Do alot of these corals have the colors you See? Yes and No! Now majority of corals u see have those colors! but their a little enchanced! Now one thing i have not seen anyone mention is Lighting.... Yes lighting has a huge factor when it comes to colors in acros and even Monti's. For example i dont know it you guys seen the post for the Pikachu Acro, but those colors are true, what people fail is putting it in very high lighting, if you have around medium its gonna turn green because it doesnt have enough light. In my tank i have acros 3-6 inchels from Metal Halides and T5 ATI! Some coral to see those colors u need very high up... Now with lighting i notice most coral under Metal and T5 combo has the best Colors then any light fixture including Led's "Sorry Led Fans" but i seen the best tanks with MH and T5 setups then Led's and i was a led guy once till i switched over to the dark side lol! But the point is that Light has a huge huge role in reef tanks and Sustain Parameters! These colors are obtainable under the right Lights and Parameters! Another huge thing people who run 10k and 14k ur not gonan get the color you hope to see... for example go diving and see if colors of sps looks the same under lights from 20k metal halide and with some blue plus ati..... It wont, so to me the more blue the better, yes and some people will have their opinions but corals under 20k will color up better then 10 and 14k. I have tested this also and corals pop insane and i notice a little slower in growth but not much!! But colors that i seen acro gain from it was unbelievable! Just like Mike Pallete talked about with lighting and now he uses 20k radium or ushio "cant remember lol"... I can post a photo and most people will probably think i photoshop, but im here to say your wrong its lighting and paramters that plays this role! Heres some Pictures u will notice in one of my tanks my green slimer has even changed colors!!! And guys feel free ask me questions!!

marke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point on the importance of lighting. Just as or more important is water chemistry. It's impossible to color up corals if you can't maintain ca and alk stable and properly. Especially alk! Also nutrients specifically phosphates. If your po4 are elevated we will never see good color. My opinion is that many reffers have high po4. It's the ulns that get the best color and growth. It's difficult to get there sometimes because we love our fish and feed them like kings. So my recommendation is at least test po4? With a Hanna checker or better as regular titration kits stink at this. As for photoshop, sometimes it's necessary to remove the blue via white balance adjustments, but sometimes people go to far. The last thing is remember we vote with our dollars. I have never bot a rr coral because I am cheap, but someone must be buying them and coming back for more? Hence they are getting the votes by someone? So if you buy an expensive coral and brown it out is it the vendors fault or our?

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to everything being said about lighting and chemistry this is key. Most people with very stable successful systems will get even better colors than the LFS.

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny how there are some vendors out there who take wild colonies, frag them up, sell them for cheap and then labeled as a "Chop Shop" and they get a bad reputation. Well RR is no different then these so called chop shops. Sometimes you can get a gem from these places that will do well in captivity, sometimes you don't.

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny how there are some vendors out there who take wild colonies, frag them up, sell them for cheap and then labeled as a "Chop Shop" and they get a bad reputation. Well RR is no different then these so called chop shops. Sometimes you can get a gem from these places that will do well in captivity, sometimes you don't.

Cant speak for RR USA, but Canada, although they frag em up and sell them, they absolutely will not sell frags and corals that just come in, at least of the high end stuff. Wether it's so they can get more $$ for it or not is debatable as demand mounts, but at RR Canada Jay makes sure to wait several weeks to a few months before fragging things to make sure they hold color or get even better colors in his and his farmers' systems. Most of the RR Signature are soo expensive because they are aquacultured and have been for quite some time so they are known to be showstoppers in captivity, where as maricultured sometime come in looking amazing and then lose their color in captivity after a few weeks.

As we speak Jay at RR Canada has a few new "Signature" pieces I want badly but he simply will not sell them until they are in an aquarium for a few months and stabilize.

Soo although they are "Chopping" its not necessarily an in and out quickly on the special stuff.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haters going to Hate. LOL.

I mean think about it Reef Raft sells very expensive Frags (I have seen them for up to $2,000 for a Half Inch Frag but maybe they get more expensive).

Not many people pay those prices.

And if they did and got crappy frags back they would never buy from them again.

Also, they would get on here and rip apart Reef Raft.

And I do not see any of that.

I see repeat customers and their reputation still in tact.

So the Corals that they sell must look amazing.

Don't hate because you cannot afford them.

I can't afford them either but I love seeing them as it makes the hobby fresh and interesting.

shlap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1st and 3rd one are the same both are the RR USA Pink Floyd.The first picture of the Pink Floyd is in much higher light so it will get more brighter and no green on it as you can see.

I've talked to Watchguy123 a bit over PM; the 1st is a Pink Floyd but the 3rd/4th one isn't. That's the Wolverine.

SleepEatCorals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask you guys something!!! How much you think corals are gonna cost when this law passes of about 70 species not being cut no more!! Prices will go higher! Also remember its like car will u pay 2.5 millon for a bugatti? Would u pay 5 grand for signature for a michael jordan jersey? You have collectors out their who do and theie gonna buy them!!! So complaining about corals being expensive isnt worth complaining.... Corals are living organism just like why dogs can cost 2 grand??? No one ever said this hobby is cheap!!!

Last edited:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask you guys something!!! How much you think corals are gonna cost when this law passes of about 70 species not being cut no more!! Prices will go higher! Also remember its like car will u pay 2.5 millon for a bugatti? Would u pay 5 grand for signature for a michael jordan jersey? You have collectors out their who do and theie gonna buy them!!! So complaining about corals being expensive isnt worth complaining.... Corals are living organism just like why dogs can cost 2 grand??? No one ever said this hobby is cheap!!!

How do you know the Law will Pass?

jduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1/2" frags, that you get to begin with, take 2+ years to grow into a mini colony....If you make a backup frag...even longer

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back