Anyone remember Oceans Motions 8-way? I need ideas for plumbing mine.

Jaimwolfe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the reef game since 2010 when my son was born. Now he's 13 and interested, so we are firing back up my old 180G tank that I held onto. I have an old Oceans Motion 8-way that still works and I would like to use. For those that don't know, it's one of these but with 8 outputs instead of 6. Oceans Motion 6-way They recommend that you have it mounted above your tank, but with it's size and my new tank location, I just can't afford that kind of real estate. So I'm back to putting it under my stand. The problem with this is that when you go to service it, you make a huge mess because it syphons out your tank water. I'm debating putting 8 ball valves under the stand and one big one that leads into it. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a better way to do this? I also considered putting T's with threaded caps at the top of all the 8 pipes coming up the back side of the tank, with threaded caps so I can just open them to break the syphon and pull the unit to clean it instead? I'd just have to deal with the water in the pipes then.

Thanks for any thoughts.

David29price

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 4-Ways and I’ve installed them under my tank. I have a ball valve on each one. I set this up two years ago. I have a new design whereas all 4 lines go through one bulkhead. So instead of 4 holes, I have just one. So for my two 4-Way units I have only two holes. Please see attached picture. I love this design. Way better and way less maintenance than all other solutions on the market.
IMG_0665.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jaimwolfe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 4-Ways and I’ve installed them under my tank. I have a ball valve on each one. I set this up two years ago. I have a new design whereas all 4 lines go through one bulkhead. So instead of 4 holes, I have just one. So for my two 4-Way units I have only two holes. Please see attached picture. I love this design. Way better and way less maintenance than all other solutions on the market.
IMG_0665.jpeg
That is fantastic! I’m guessing you have a basement sump? Can you explain your new design where four lines would go through one bulkhead? I’m not sure I understand that part.

David29price

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fantastic! I’m guessing you have a basement sump? Can you explain your new design where four lines would go through one bulkhead? I’m not sure I understand that part.
Yes I have a room setup in my basement for all the filtration. I’ve attached some pictures of it as well as the oceans motions system.

I worked with the owner/engineer of oceans motions on this design. I was the first customer to get it. The idea is to eliminate as many holes as possible. The single bulkhead that holds the 4 connections is a 3” hole. In the pictures you can see from the bottom looking up at it. The 2nd pic shows the bulkhead in the tank with no connections. The last pic shows me looking down on it in the aquarium when I have 3 of the outlets connected. Those are all buried in sand now. Only the end sticks up above the sand and those are gradually being covered by coral.

I have since added a new skimmer and bio pellet reactors since these pics were taken. I’ll try to get a pic later.
IMG_6938.jpeg
IMG_6939.png
IMG_6940.png
IMG_6941.jpeg
IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_0046.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back