Apex Controller....... oh the things you can do!!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone's take on if a Aquarium controller is needed
I went without one for 10 years. It's doable but more work. I just got an Apex Jr and love it. It's much easier to monitor things and you can program it in so many different ways.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best example for this question is a video Melevs Reef did a couple of years ago about the 20,000 gallon long island reef exhibit that has no controller. Of course, they have a full time employee who's job it is to monitor everything. Most of us have work and other things in our life.

A controller doesn't do anything you can't do yourself, but it automates things and does things for you when you're not home, making life significantly easier. There are plenty of successful reefers who don't use controllers, and plenty of reefers who say they'd never run a tank without one. Most of the people who don't have a controller still do use other 'controllers' - lighting timers, auto topoffs, heater controllers, etc.

One of the nice things I've found with a controller is that it lets you see things that you wouldn't otherwise see and adjust accordingly - I changed my alkalinity dosing schedule to minimize pH swings and realized my tank was getting hotter than I thought it was during the day.

Another advantage of a controller is the ability to do remote monitoring - when I'm out of town and have someone watching the tank for me, I can log in remotely and check on tank parameters. Things like flood sensors can also alert you to a malfunction ATO or float sensor to the skimmer reservoir before major damage is done.

One down side to be aware of is that it's very possible to program a controller incorrectly and cause major damage that way as well.

So basically, a controller isn't required, but it makes life easier. Even if you don't get a controller, Most people would still recommend getting an auto topoff system and a backup heater controller.

Adam Kuhn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The Fallback statement in your program determines the behavior of the outlets if communication is lost with the controller.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to hear opinion on this.
I am setting up my 2 mp40, L1 return pump between two circuits in case on fails I can still have some pumps running. Apex will control RP.
I was thinking of getting a 2nd eb832 so I can still have separate circuits but have option to control other things like mp40, AI hydras even monitor power consumption.
Would this be ok or is it better to use a power strip?

killr66tb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone please tell me how to get my wav pumps to turn off with feed mode A their plugged straight into the power bar not a module

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone please tell me how to get my wav pumps to turn off with feed mode A their plugged straight into the power bar not a module

When you log into fusion, go to the outlets page and identify which outlet(s) they are on. If you click on the outlet it will take you to the page to program for that outlet. Switch the 'Control Type' drop down menu to 'Advanced'

There should be a configuration window on the right that shows the programing. Add something like:
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
to the programming. That tells the outlet to turn off if the FeedA profile is active and stay off for 000 minutes afterwards.

killr66tb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone I am loving my new Apex and WAV pumps I've never had powerheads as strong as these I mean wow wow wow powerful. Also noticed a beta for Alexa and started using it boy is that cool. Worth every penny as long as my wife doesn't find out.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I buy a good used apex, I really want warning alarms, like temp, sump overflow etc.
Is the titanium Finnex heater a very good choice ?
Are there better one's ?

I'm setting up another tank, a 125g mixed reef. I assume two heaters ?
If so, how does the apex control two ?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I buy a good used apex, I really want warning alarms, like temp, sump overflow etc.
Is the titanium Finnex heater a very good choice ?
Are there better one's ?

I'm setting up another tank, a 125g mixed reef. I assume two heaters ?
If so, how does the apex control two ?
You will need a break out box to hook up a float for sump over flow. All the titanium heaters (3) I have used have failed with in 6 months. One zapped the crap out of me. Sadly their is a real lack of good quality heaters for aquariums. I have had the best experience with Eheim heaters.
Yes two smaller heaters are definatly better than one. There are several ways to set them up on apex.
First run each normally for a couple days to get them dialed in. Set one degree hotter of two hotter than you plan to keep your temp at. Set the other one 2 degrees less. Then plug the one set for the lower temp say 76 degrees in to your EB8 and set Apex to turn that one to come on at 74.5 and off at 75.5. The second one set at 78 should be plugged in to another outlet on the EB8 and set to come on at 76.5 and off at 77.5. This way only one will come one as the temp drops. If it fails or is not enough to keep the temp above 74.5 it will come on. This way both are not switching on and off constantly. The one set higher will be the primary one and come on more often.
The second way is to set both heaters the same and have them both plugged in to the same EB8 outlet via an 2-1 adaptor.
The best option would be to set it up like the first except blue one of the heaters into a different controller like a Rancho. You can not get much more reliable than the Rancho controllers.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'll just get the Rancho. Any particular model number for our use ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back