Apex help, anyone awake that can help?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disconnect for the time being the USB cords from your apex control module and all EB8's should work as a power strip.
That said it won't have the clock on it so heaters and lights or everything that was set on a scheduled time or PH for CaRx will be running on ON.
I fried my controller once in the frag room and just used the EB8 as a power strip.
I had some timers on hand for the lights to come on but did shut down my CaRx and a good thing is that I have the Eheim jager heaters with their own thermostat in side and not the titanium heaters.
I will bump this to the #reefsquad to see if we can determine if the controller is fried.
Sorry to hear this my friend and hoping it's just that and don't lose any livestock.
Unfortunately, if he is finding connectors inside his controller that have corroded apart, it is best to not use it. It is "possible" that it could be soldered back together. The issue is that you will have contaminants attacking the conductors within the circuit card itself. While that can be fixed, it is not something the average person would be able to do.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man i had this dosing 3 separate tanks etc. I'm going out to grab a more precise soldering fun but like i said very little faith. Big problem is that they don't even sell the lite version anymore???

That's no good there has to be an easier fix than buying a new FULL VERSION?!?!

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What flooded and why? I understand that the Apex got wet and is now fried but should it have prevented the flood in the first place or was the flood from something else? Rain... etc

User error, i closed a valve and neglected to open a different one. I don't have any leak detection set up.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I see. Good luck with it all. FWIW, There is usually tons of used apex's on the selling forum for not too much.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man i had this dosing 3 separate tanks etc. I'm going out to grab a more precise soldering fun but like i said very little faith. Big problem is that they don't even sell the lite version anymore???

The Apex Jr might work if you use fewer than 7 expansion modules.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you try to fix it, make sure you get as much of the old solder and any corroded material off. I'd start by melting and removing the old solder and use RO/DI and a brush to remove as much corrosion as possible. Give it a final wipe with rubbing alcohol. If you don't get all the corrosion off it will continue to eat away and the fix will only be temporary.
I've had 2 Apex units I've dropped in my tank. I just unplugged them immediately, drop them in a small container of RO/DI to remove/dilute the salt and let them air dry for a day or 2. Both still work great. RO/DI is your friend!

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found one resister thing that came off on the circuit board (like it rotted off and probably came off while trying to dry this thing) and one of the aqua bus wires rotted away inside. I think I could fix the wire but I'm not even sure which direction to try the resister on the board.

If you get a new resister then have to match the color code. After that the longer end should be positive. Voltmeter? I don't do anything with circuits.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
resistors aren't polarity sensitive - you can put them in however you see fit, but the color code is particularly important - you need to match that up.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update that lite was toast. I found a used apex full version for 375 with an eb8 and temp & ph probes so I got that. Looks like i have to start from scratch though resetting it all & figuring out the code etc and the whole inebriated thing all over again. :(

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you not ever connect your old one to fusion? All of the config should still be there

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so when you log into fusion, you don't see your old controller as offline?

I see this. If i open it, it says "your a moron, and I'm not going to let you see all the stuff behind this pop up, but I'll let you see that your tabs are still there from around the edges of the pop up"

Lol

Screenshot_20161208-000141.png

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe email support to send you the config dump?
I don't know what that means. It's that something I should ask for that they'll know what I mean? I have an email conversation but they pretty much take a day to respond. Then their response is here read this 300 page link it will tell you what to do.

Doesn't anyone work? Who has time to read this kind of stuff?

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update that lite was toast. I found a used apex full version for 375 with an eb8 and temp & ph probes so I got that. Looks like i have to start from scratch though resetting it all & figuring out the code etc and the whole inebriated thing all over again. :(

I thought they said in their promo videos that you plug it in and bam! You're up in running in minutes. So easy a caveman could do it yada yada. I have a full apex classic that I havent even set up yet because im terrified.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they said in their promo videos that you plug it in and bam! You're up in running in minutes. So easy a caveman could do it yada yada. I have a full apex classic that I havent even set up yet because im terrified.
Setting up an Apex isn't too difficult for most of the basic features. You shouldn't be scared of it. And they are wonderful once you get them working.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back