API General cure for Tamarin Wrasse

ChaetoFarm_Kai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I medicate frozen mysis shrimp with API General Cure to treat internal parasites in a picky yellow tail tamarin wrasse? Will simply soaking the shrimp in a concentrated solution overnight be sufficient?

I keep several wrasses including a beautiful 5” yellow tail tamarin wrasse that we’ve had for four months now. Typically, new wrasses for me quickly become plump and round from the automated feedings of NLS pellets in my system, however this Tamarin wrasse only ate frozen mysis for the first 3 months, so we target fed her twice a day for said 3 months and then suddenly we noticed her devouring the pellets with gusto about a month ago. So we decided to cut back on the mysis. She was rather thin from the start and has never put on weight. However today we noticed she was acting slightly more lethargic than usual and she seems to have lost some weight as well. I suspect intestinal parasites to be the culprit. Perhaps I should have begun treating her at day one.

IMG_0532.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is extremely difficult to dose medications that can be toxic in food. First, you don't know how much the fish is going to eat and second the doses can be tricky. Soaking shrimp will not be sufficient. Any other 'new things' in the tank? (changes)?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How can I medicate frozen mysis shrimp with API General Cure to treat internal parasites in a picky yellow tail tamarin wrasse? Will simply soaking the shrimp in a concentrated solution overnight be sufficient?

I keep several wrasses including a beautiful 5” yellow tail tamarin wrasse that we’ve had for four months now. Typically, new wrasses for me quickly become plump and round from the automated feedings of NLS pellets in my system, however this Tamarin wrasse only ate frozen mysis for the first 3 months, so we target fed her twice a day for said 3 months and then suddenly we noticed her devouring the pellets with gusto about a month ago. So we decided to cut back on the mysis. She was rather thin from the start and has never put on weight. However today we noticed she was acting slightly more lethargic than usual and she seems to have lost some weight as well. I suspect intestinal parasites to be the culprit. Perhaps I should have begun treating her at day one.

IMG_0532.jpeg
General cure will be absorbed by fish opposed to adding to food often done by weight which must be precise and best not applied to food as others do with metro and kanaplex.
How did you determine there are internal parasites?
If its the feces you are judging by and are feeding fatty foods such as mysis shrimp - it will mimic intestinal issues where its actual excess mucus in stomach lining. Fish looks proportionate in weight in which often displays weight loss with internal issues and other signs

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
General cure will be absorbed by fish opposed to adding to food often done by weight which must be precise and best not applied to food as others do with metro and kanaplex.
How did you determine there are internal parasites?
If its the feces you are judging by and are feeding fatty foods such as mysis shrimp - it will mimic intestinal issues where its actual excess mucus in stomach lining. Fish looks proportionate in weight in which often displays weight loss with internal issues and other signs
I think the sunken belly is the issue. Which suggests to me some issue with absorbing food, not adequate food, an internal parasite - or - another illness.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0532.jpeg
You can’t use General Cure orally, it contains a mix of metronidazole and praziquantel and those have two different oral doses. I know some people say you can do it, but it can never work.
You also cannot just soak food in medications, the dose is uncontrolled. We do have tools here if you want to explore oral medications. One of our members created a calculator. Here is an article I wrote on med foods.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back