Apogee MQ-510 Par Meter readings?

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Red Sea Max E 170 running the stock Red Sea LED 90. I used the PAR meter and it’s showing only 100 PAR at the peak of my rock work that’s only 4 inches under water? Could this be right? I even tried it with the return off so there’s no surface agitation. Sand bed was showing around 30 PAR? Only LPS in the tank currently which are fine and they’re in the sand bed on a frag rack. My lighting is currently at 100% Blue 100% White

IMG_7065.jpeg IMG_7067.png

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Red Sea Max E 170 running the stock Red Sea LED 90. I used the PAR meter and it’s showing only 100 PAR at the peak of my rock work that’s only 4 inches under water? Could this be right? I even tried it with the return off so there’s no surface agitation. Sand bed was showing around 30 PAR? Only LPS in the tank currently which are fine and they’re in the sand bed on a frag rack. My lighting is currently at 100% Blue 100% White

IMG_7065.jpeg IMG_7067.png
Par levels can depend on the lights height off the water..

This is what rs wants you to believe:
Screenshot_20240323-164652.png

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par levels can depend on the lights height off the water..

This is what rs wants you to believe:
Screenshot_20240323-164652.png
I am using the Red Sea Led mount so it is the recommended 8” from the water surface level. I’m not sure why I’m getting such low PAR readings. I’m not even getting the 100 that Red Sea states at the sand bed at the peak of my rock work. I’m not sure if the issue is the LED or the apogee par meter giving me false readings?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the Red Sea Led mount so it is the recommended 8” from the water surface level. I’m not sure why I’m getting such low PAR readings. I’m not even getting the 100 that Red Sea states at the sand bed at the peak of my rock work. I’m not sure if the issue is the LED or the apogee par meter giving me false readings?
Hard to tell without having a known reference to measure.

Is this light new or older?
My gut goes with a problem with the light and likely the power supply has issues
Of course I always blame power supplies .

Another measurement

Screenshot_20240323-165207.png

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell without having a known reference to measure.

Is this light new or older?
My gut goes with a problem with the light and likely the power supply has issues
Of course I always blame power supplies .

Another measurement

Screenshot_20240323-165207.png
I bought the whole setup new from Bulk Reef Supply early March 2023. So the light only has a little over a year in use. I see everyone else’s PAR readings and it confuses me because even when I put the PAR sensor right below the water line I still only get ~120 PAR. My hammers have been doing fine at the sand bed where they’re supposedly only getting ~30 PAR according to the apogee. That’s what makes me think the sensor is wrong? Wouldn’t my hammers be mad with 30 PAR?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the whole setup new from Bulk Reef Supply early March 2023. So the light only has a little over a year in use. I see everyone else’s PAR readings and it confuses me because even when I put the PAR sensor right below the water line I still only get ~120 PAR. My hammers have been doing fine at the sand bed where they’re supposedly only getting ~30 PAR according to the apogee. That’s what makes me think the sensor is wrong? Wouldn’t my hammers be mad with 30 PAR?
As to your corals... Don't know, not my forte..
Apparently this is their standard response.
The less PAR the bigger they will try to expand to get more light
AFAICT there isn't really an easy way to check your Apogee.

But...try this...
Download the Photone app for your phone.
Do a side by side reading.
You will need to correct the Apogee for an out of water reading.
Divide by 1.25.
See how close the 2 are.
Any light source.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back