Apollo Reef LED SolarBlast Dimable Review

Dustin1300

Reefaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In planning for my 600 gallon tank build, I’ve been looking at several LED fixtures out on the market because having MHs/T5s and a chiller were not feasible in building a tank of this size. After searching high and low, and taking away many of the features I find to be pointless, I believe I’ve settled on the Apollo Reef LED SolarBlast Dimable fixture. This is my first review but believe that on RC this fixture has not had a lot of exposure. I’m in no way affiliated with Apollo Reef LED and just a fellow Reefaholic looking to share a review on a fixture I find to be a great choice in the current LED market.

First off, the unboxing. The fixture is made up of 55 X 3 Watt BridgeLux LEDs with 90 degree optics and 2 blue LEDs on ON/OFF switch for moonlights and power consumption comes out to ~120 Watts as the LEDs are driven at ~2 watts each. LEDs are made up of a blend of Royal Blues (453 NM), UVs (405 NM), and “high noon whites†at 6500K. The fixture has three power cords and two dimable ports that you use a straight through network cable to tie into the controller of your choice. Channel one covers the whites and channel two covers the RBs/UVs and separate power and toggle switch for the moonlights.

Overall, I’m very satisfied with the fixture and the control I have. While it does not have 8 channels and a full software integration, many of the features such as lightning, sunrise/sunset, and cloud movement can all be easily configured with your controller. With the option to control the RBs/UV and Whites on separate channels I’m able to get the color I desire with the appropriate spectrum that the coral enjoy. Red/Green LEDs are not of concern and if I ever wanted them, I could easily supplement them with some DIY LEDs.

Toggle switches are built in to turn the lights ON/OFF when needed. Power cords need to be on controller/timer to turn off RBs/UVs and Whites so the fan does not constantly run and a third controllable outlet for the moonlights also help to kick them on once the main lights dim down. The fans are quiet and would be happy with the sound level in a living area. Should one fail later down the road, 60mm fans are readily available and could be easily swapped out with the molex connectors under the hood.

With all that being said, below I’ve quickly outlined the Pros/Cons of the fixture. In following posts I also include PAR readings I performed in my frag tank over a 36â€X24†area at three depths and 25 different locations totaling 75 readings. I’ve also taken the 75 sample PAR readings at four different heights based on Apollo Reef LEDs recommended mounting heights above the water surface; 1) 8â€, 2) 10â€, 3) 12â€, and 4) 14â€.

Pros:
  • Price/Performance Factor
  • Spread and PAR on Deeper Tanks
  • Dimable Options (Sunrise/Sunset, Cloud Simulation, and Lightning)
  • Great Customer Service from Apollo (Joe is owner and very responsive to each question I had)
  • 2 Year Warranty

Cons:
  • 3 Power Cords
  • Controller Required for Dimable Fixture (Apex, ReefAngel, and Profilux supported)

Package includes light fixture, hanging kit, 3 power cords, straight through network cable, and instructions.

IMG_0749.jpg

5 Rows of 11 BridgeLux LEDs with 90 degree optics.

IMG_0753.jpg

29 Royal Blues, 22 Whites, and 4 UVs.

IMG_0834.jpg

Case opened up and shows MeanWell 60-48D Drivers and three 60mm fans. Everything is well organized and has molex connectors should a part fail and need replacement.

IMG_0750.jpg

Aluminum heatsink and fully aluminum housing.
IMG_0751.jpg

“Network Port†where RJ45 goes and three power cords.

IMG_0837.jpg

And now to the PAR readings…They were all done using a Apogee QMSW-SS Quantum Meter and I used the Electric setting on all. Many will say LED PAR numbers don’t mean everything because PAR meters don’t measure the PAR spectrum very well and the light is actually brighter than represented by PAR readings alone. This is just a common measurement I find to be a good representation of how big of a PAR monster these things are!

Meter Used.

photobucket-13291-1338505857885.jpg

Fixture mounted at 8†above water surface with measurements at surface, 6†down, and 13†down.

0D8AWS.jpg

6D8AWS.jpg

13D8AWS.jpg

OP
OP
Dustin1300

Dustin1300

Reefaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR Readings Cont'd

Fixture mounted at 10†above water surface with measurements at surface, 6†down, and 13†down.

0D10AWS.jpg

6D10AWS.jpg

13D10AWS.jpg

Fixture mounted at 12†above water surface with measurements at surface, 6†down, and 13†down.

0D12AWS.jpg

6D12AWS.jpg

13D12AWS.jpg

Fixture mounted at 14†above water surface with measurements at surface, 6†down, and 13†down.

0D14AWS.jpg

6D14AWS.jpg

13D14AWS.jpg

OP
OP
Dustin1300

Dustin1300

Reefaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review! The optics really make for great par!

Optics are 90 degrees and really gives this fixture a fair amount of spread even on deeper tanks as you can see from my PAR charts outlined. I'd love to hear others reviews, opinions, and observations that have had this fixture for a longer time.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to some pics of those lights on the tank

OP
OP
Dustin1300

Dustin1300

Reefaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to some pics of those lights on the tank

Me too but I'm about 6 months out from having the 600 gallon tied in but would love anyone to follow along on my thread. I'll likely pick up another fixture or two to review in 6 months time with how indecisive I've been with LEDs:)

OP
OP
Dustin1300

Dustin1300

Reefaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else out there with the fixture that can provide some good pics? I've got a new DSLR but still trying to get good pictures but don't have much luck with it. Hard to take good pictures of the tank and get the true color, LEDs are much harder to get a good shot of tank;)

OP
OP
Dustin1300

Dustin1300

Reefaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to also make a correction to my initial post regarding weather conditions being programmed and having the ability to program clouds/lightning.

After playing with the lightning mode, it seems that this feature does not work. I contacted Joe from Apollo last night and guess this feature only works when the Apex is tied into an AI light. The MeanWell drivers do not support the rapid charge and discharge of the capacitors. Not really something I much cared about but just wanted to make sure I clarified this on the thread so no one points a finger at me later. :sad2:

Cloud movement works as it just changes the voltage from time to time to dim your lights but I really don't see much value in either one of the features, was just curious as to what they'd look like. I guess now I don't have to worry about any of my fish being epileptic!

OP
OP
Dustin1300

Dustin1300

Reefaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many posts on R2R on these fixtures but I can't say enough about them thus far. Seem to be the best light with the right performance, price, and spread without a lot of useless bells/whistles. Joe just released a new fixture yesterday and swapped out the UVs (405s w/ 420s) and took away four whites and added some reds (660NM) for coloration. shop - Apollo Reef LED

New light:

IMG_20120717_195840.jpg

IMG_20120717_200450.jpg

Some pics from RC... of a 375 (96X30X30) with three fixtures. Tater11 is adding a fourth fixture to he mix soon.
P6033297.jpg

Coral shots he got:
P6153299.jpg

P6173301.jpg

P6173301.jpg

P6173305.jpg

P6173309.jpg

P4273217.jpg

P4273213.jpg

P6173311.jpg

OP
OP
Dustin1300

Dustin1300

Reefaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how does the new light look?

Only tank I've seen was one pictured above but would say it's similar to ones I have with addition of the new UVs and reds. Since they were just released will take a little time before we see more in the wild. Looking forward to pics!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back