Aquamaxx HOB-1 on JBJ Rimless

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i hooked up my hob-1 to my tank and the return outlet on the skimmer sits about an inch above water level. Is that normal? Am i suppose to have a mini waterfall?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so but I'm not sure you don't mean the skimmer cup?
Mine sits below the water so it can draw water in. But I have a in sump skimmer so I don't know how a HOb-1 would work did you look at any videos on it. I know there are several out there on youtube

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so but I'm not sure you don't mean the skimmer cup?
Mine sits below the water so it can draw water in. But I have a in sump skimmer so I don't know how a HOb-1 would work did you look at any videos on it. I know there are several out there on youtube
Yeah.. my skimmer's intake is below water level. It IS able to suck water in. NOW...the outlet FROM THE SKIMMER sits 1 inch above water level. Therefore, it is creating a waterfall. I am wondering WHY it is like this? I have tried moving the skimmer from the far right side and the far left side with same results.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And nobody has a video on this. At least not that I can see.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the aquaMax HOB-1 skimmer if it is they are out there on you tube just do a search I doubled checked before I opened my mouth and found some

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the aquaMax HOB-1 skimmer if it is they are out there on you tube just do a search I doubled checked before I opened my mouth and found some
I saw 3 videos. Two are from marine depot and one is from someone else and that person say nothing about how the skimmer fits on the back of a rimless 30. Yes, this skimmer fits on the back of the rimless 30 and 40. But there is no information about the outlet not being submerged in the water. I guess I'll make a video............. If you would be so kind as to send a link to me, that would be really helpful?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried but Aquamaxx has two setup videos and a YouTube channel
I don't know how to make a link

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried but Aquamaxx has two setup videos and a YouTube channel
I don't know how to make a link
To make a link you just copy and paste the web address... ***...Anyway here is a video of what I have going on....

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't figure it out I'm on a iPad but look up Mrgreygoose101, he has several videos on it or call Marine Depot and ask them it looks like you may be missing a extension

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't figure it out I'm on a iPad but look up Mrgreygoose101, he has several videos on it or call Marine Depot and ask them it looks like you may be missing a extension
Mrgreygoose101 used the Hob-1 on a "Rimmed" tank. I myself have used the hob-1 on a rimmed 20 gallon standard. My issue pertains to the JBJ rimless 30 gallon aquarium. NOT some random fish tank.

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question. What is the actual width of the skimmer body minus the external plumbing? I know the specs state 3.5" as the width but it doesn't specify where the dimensions are taken from...

I'm thinking about purchasing one for my Nuvo Fusion 20 but need to know how much clearance I will need (]:

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Aqua maxx hob-1 on the 30 gallon jbj and as the water level is high enough it's fine. PM me if you want a video :)
So did you see the video I posted? Is something not right with my setup? Do I need to modify something? I've adjusted nothing as I'm not sure I can adjust anything especially the water height?

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i hooked up my hob-1 to my tank and the return outlet on the skimmer sits about an inch above water level. Is that normal? Am i suppose to have a mini waterfall?

I have this skimmer on the JBJ 45 and had the same question. Couldn't find the answer but the sound and salt spray drove me mad. I bought some 1"(?) pvc pipe drone the hardware store and extended it below the waterline.

I then had an issue with micro bubbles, so I extended the pipe a little further, drilled mad holes in it, then plugged the end and wrapped the pipe in filter floss. It's as quiet as the return pumps now, and bubble free.

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The holes in the pipe extend from ~1/2" BELOW the waterline to ~3-4" above, so most of the water exits above the waterline, but trickles down the filter floss silently. Do 3/16 to 1/4" holes. Still some and try it out, if back pressure builds inside of the skimmer and the water level rises, you'll need to drill more hole. Drill until adding the pipes makes no change in water level, then add a few more for good measure. [emoji4]

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The holes in the pipe extend from ~1/2" BELOW the waterline to ~3-4" above, so most of the water exits above the waterline, but trickles down the filter floss silently. Do 3/16 to 1/4" holes. Still some and try it out, if back pressure builds inside of the skimmer and the water level rises, you'll need to drill more hole. Drill until adding the pipes makes no change in water level, then add a few more for good measure. [emoji4]
I just left the hardware store with some 3/4" pvc. I hope I got the right size.

I am a little irritated that @MarineDepot would suggest this skimmer without letting us know we have to modify it.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I also find strange is they show it in a video ( on JBJ 45 gal) but don't show any modifications to it either strange

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only mod. I made to mine was I added a sponge for the micro bubbles.
image.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back