Aquarium Safe Yard Stick?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gal brute mixing station and I measured out the height of water in 5 gallon increments. I was hoping to leave a yard stick inside the container so that I can see the measurements. Is there a type of material I can safely leave in the bin or something that I can periodically stick in? It’s salt water so metal probably is a bad idea. Or is there a better way to monitor the volume inside the bin? I have an apex with an FMM by the bin but I’m not sure how their fluid level monitor works. I do have optical high and low sensors too

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used permanent marker to mark increments in my brute mixing container. I just did 4g marks as it works for me. I have buckets with 1g marks using permanent marker also.
Not sure what metal would be safe to leave in but couldn't you just place the yardstick in to check the amount then take it back out?

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I can just put it in and take it out but was looking for a solution that minimizes my chances of contaminating the bin. Can you see the marker lines? Don’t they fade in the water?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I can just put it in and take it out but was looking for a solution that minimizes my chances of contaminating the bin. Can you see the marker lines? Don’t they fade in the water?
I can see them but do have to touch them up from time to time. I like the suggestions to use an acrylic rod with marks.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few feet of PVC pipe and mark increments on it either with notches cut into it or ziplock ties superglued in place?

All stuff that regularly goes into these systems full time.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few feet of PVC pipe and mark increments on it either with notches cut into it or ziplock ties superglued in place?

All stuff that regularly goes into these systems full time.
I like this better than the acrylic rod. Should be easier to see. Thank you

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back