Aquarium Upgrade from Red Sea Reefer 200xl G2 to Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 500 G2+

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this thread, I will be documenting my journey on doing an aquarium upgrade that happens to be in the same location. I have the perfect location for the aquarium. I will be using the “Official Sand Rinse and Tank Transfer thread” method - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/official-sand-rinse-and-tank-transfer-thread.230281/

Current location and existing Red Sea 200xl G2:
1714007971605.jpeg

The wall behind the tank is a return air space. In there I have most of the equipment, ATO reservoir, and external refugium supporting the tank. I built it in anticipation of a future larger tank. This is an older picture.
1714008004901.jpeg

On the other side of that room is my external refugium and ATO reservoir.

Current Equipment:
Controller: Hydros – X4, X2, WEv2, Kraken, XP8 for the main tank. X2 and XS for mixing station.
Pumps: Two VarioS4 – one for return and one to push from the sump to the external display.
Rest of the sump area: ReefMat 500, RSK300 (with DC upgrade), Aqua UV 15w, ReefDose4, Helios heater controller with two 200w elements.

In the display: Two Octo-Pulse 2, Radion XR15 G6, and TopLids.

Future Equipment:
Aquarium: Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 500 G2+
Controllers: Using existing.
Pumps: Decided to go with the ReefRun 7000 – two of them for the return. I have an existing ReefRun 5000 that will be repurposed to push to the external refugium.
Rest of the sump: Reusing the ReefMat 500, RSK300, ReefDose4. Will be upgrading the UV to either a Aqua UV 25w or perhaps the Triton 550. Purchased a new Helios controller and elements. The elements are about due for replacement anyway.

In the display: Going with the AI Blades 48” – 2 Grow, 1 Glow. Two Octo-Pulse 4’s, but will also reuse the Octo-Pulse 2’s for some additional flow in the lower levels. I will also go with TopLids again.

Other info – I have setup AWC using a couple of Ecotech Versa’s – water in, water out at the same time. Doing 6000ml a day. I also have a couple of Kamoer Steppers to autofill the ATO reservoir.

Where am I going​

Since I am putting the new tank in the same location, lots of planning is required. As of now, I have a 78-step plan. This plan is broken out into three sections – Ordering of new equipment, rock, temp holding tank, etc.; Dismantling of the existing tank; Setup and move into the new tank.

Step 1 of my plan is to ask permission to upgrade or proceed to step 3 which is beg for forgiveness after step 2 where I am ordering equipment. Luckily, I got permission from the better half!
1714008086939.jpeg

One of my first steps was to purchase temporary holding tank for existing livestock. For this I picked up a 29g Aqueon with a HOB filter as my holding tank.

Should be enough to handle my rock, corals, inverts, and fish during the transfer. In the second section of my plan, I will fill half of the 29g with fresh saltwater with the remainder coming from the existing tank once I have the rock relocated.

I picked up some egg grates and frag plugs for my corals to be relocated.

Equipment:
For lighting, I will be mounting with the AI Blade hanging kit; however, I will be using 8020 to float above the new setup. Thanks to @Reefer Reboot for helping with the design!

Widen the hole for the 5/16 bolt assembly:
1714008152207.jpeg

Below is part of the mount with the aluminum color to be mounted on the wall and the black 1515LS attached via bearings so I can move the lights up and down.
1714008172562.jpeg

Pumps: I currently run VarioS4 for my return pump. I will be going with two ReefRun 7000. More on that setup later when I discuss plumbing in coming updates to this thread.

As for the new aquarium, I have not ordered it just yet. Waiting to see if there will be any sales soon. Also, since I am in the middle of a master bath remodel, I promised not to really start on anything until that is complete. There are many things to do before that anyway.

While I will be moving the rock from the existing setup, it won’t be enough on the new. On steps 17 and 18 of my master plan is the purchase and setup of Marco rock for my new ‘scape. What I pretty much landed on….for now:

A group of corals on a cardboard floor  Description automatically generated
A group of white rocks on a cardboard surface  Description automatically generated
1714008208085.jpeg

The middle mount will probably be replaced with the rock coming from the existing tank, just in a different format. Have to play with it. Feedback is always welcome.

This weekend I plan to start gluing some pieces together. My plan was to pre-cycle the marco rock. This might be unnecessary, but I figured it also couldn’t hurt AND I have some time.

More to come….

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this thread, I will be documenting my journey on doing an aquarium upgrade that happens to be in the same location. I have the perfect location for the aquarium. I will be using the “Official Sand Rinse and Tank Transfer thread” method - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/official-sand-rinse-and-tank-transfer-thread.230281/

Current location and existing Red Sea 200xl G2:
1714007971605.jpeg

The wall behind the tank is a return air space. In there I have most of the equipment, ATO reservoir, and external refugium supporting the tank. I built it in anticipation of a future larger tank. This is an older picture.
1714008004901.jpeg

On the other side of that room is my external refugium and ATO reservoir.

Current Equipment:
Controller: Hydros – X4, X2, WEv2, Kraken, XP8 for the main tank. X2 and XS for mixing station.
Pumps: Two VarioS4 – one for return and one to push from the sump to the external display.
Rest of the sump area: ReefMat 500, RSK300 (with DC upgrade), Aqua UV 15w, ReefDose4, Helios heater controller with two 200w elements.

In the display: Two Octo-Pulse 2, Radion XR15 G6, and TopLids.

Future Equipment:
Aquarium: Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 500 G2+
Controllers: Using existing.
Pumps: Decided to go with the ReefRun 7000 – two of them for the return. I have an existing ReefRun 5000 that will be repurposed to push to the external refugium.
Rest of the sump: Reusing the ReefMat 500, RSK300, ReefDose4. Will be upgrading the UV to either a Aqua UV 25w or perhaps the Triton 550. Purchased a new Helios controller and elements. The elements are about due for replacement anyway.

In the display: Going with the AI Blades 48” – 2 Grow, 1 Glow. Two Octo-Pulse 4’s, but will also reuse the Octo-Pulse 2’s for some additional flow in the lower levels. I will also go with TopLids again.

Other info – I have setup AWC using a couple of Ecotech Versa’s – water in, water out at the same time. Doing 6000ml a day. I also have a couple of Kamoer Steppers to autofill the ATO reservoir.

Where am I going​

Since I am putting the new tank in the same location, lots of planning is required. As of now, I have a 78-step plan. This plan is broken out into three sections – Ordering of new equipment, rock, temp holding tank, etc.; Dismantling of the existing tank; Setup and move into the new tank.

Step 1 of my plan is to ask permission to upgrade or proceed to step 3 which is beg for forgiveness after step 2 where I am ordering equipment. Luckily, I got permission from the better half!
1714008086939.jpeg

One of my first steps was to purchase temporary holding tank for existing livestock. For this I picked up a 29g Aqueon with a HOB filter as my holding tank.

Should be enough to handle my rock, corals, inverts, and fish during the transfer. In the second section of my plan, I will fill half of the 29g with fresh saltwater with the remainder coming from the existing tank once I have the rock relocated.

I picked up some egg grates and frag plugs for my corals to be relocated.

Equipment:
For lighting, I will be mounting with the AI Blade hanging kit; however, I will be using 8020 to float above the new setup. Thanks to @Reefer Reboot for helping with the design!

Widen the hole for the 5/16 bolt assembly:
1714008152207.jpeg

Below is part of the mount with the aluminum color to be mounted on the wall and the black 1515LS attached via bearings so I can move the lights up and down.
1714008172562.jpeg

Pumps: I currently run VarioS4 for my return pump. I will be going with two ReefRun 7000. More on that setup later when I discuss plumbing in coming updates to this thread.

As for the new aquarium, I have not ordered it just yet. Waiting to see if there will be any sales soon. Also, since I am in the middle of a master bath remodel, I promised not to really start on anything until that is complete. There are many things to do before that anyway.

While I will be moving the rock from the existing setup, it won’t be enough on the new. On steps 17 and 18 of my master plan is the purchase and setup of Marco rock for my new ‘scape. What I pretty much landed on….for now:

A group of corals on a cardboard floor  Description automatically generated
A group of white rocks on a cardboard surface  Description automatically generated
1714008208085.jpeg

The middle mount will probably be replaced with the rock coming from the existing tank, just in a different format. Have to play with it. Feedback is always welcome.

This weekend I plan to start gluing some pieces together. My plan was to pre-cycle the marco rock. This might be unnecessary, but I figured it also couldn’t hurt AND I have some time.

More to come….
You are going to love the 500 G2+ tank! Aquascape looks good too!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back