Are these Lights any good???

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray II: Ultra Slim High Output LEDs

These look pretty nice, and are rather slim. i would put it on a 55 and a 75 gallon tank to grow frags. I do softies, but get hard corals in alot too, sometimes oysters and clams. wondering if these lights will be fine? 48 inches btw.
if these suck, another light around the price would be awesome if their are recommendations. i dont mind not using LED, so t5s and halides are in the option list as well

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say no good....you will not get the penetration with these low powered LED's. As an example, the one fixture has 88 LEDs and only uses 9w....roughly a tenth of a watt per LED. I'd be looking at the "Chinese" fixtures....maybe two 120 watt fixtures for a four foot tank....about $170/each. OR, if you want to stay in the USA...actually assembled here....go with Apollo's....about 3 big ones, and change for a 120 watt fixture.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I am gonna just get the LED kits then. I thought it seemed a little cheap. My Deep Blu t5s were more than that, and they require me sticking my finger in the wires once a week to get the 2nd set of bulbs to work. point of sale engineering..the light works great otherwise.

Im not trying to be cheap, but I am also not trying to spend more than I have to especially when i am going for FUNCTION over FORM in this case. (the beauty of canopies). I am sure I will have another question within a day or so on kits. Thanks a lot@ ID hate to order the light and see how DIM it was lol

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that fixture and its price...how does it compare to this setup 2 54watt Actinics 1 54w POWERGLO & 1 54w LIFE GLO as far as color and intensity????

My t5s are bee ay ewww ti ful in color, but Do not flicker like my Halide

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WIth LED's they are adjustable, so you can adjust the color to whatever you like. Comparing a well made LED fixture, to a lesser quality T5 fixture, is well, silly.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically my corals are going to explode if I do LED.
What about compared to METAL HALIDE???
I use a 400W on my Frag tanks, it powers 3 tanks with 1 light suspended a couple feet. I want to replace all my lights basically with one kind so I dont have to Acclimate them between my display tanks and grow out tanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back