Are you a ONE HIT WONDER?

Are you in danger of becoming a "one hit wonder?"

• YES since I'm on my first tank!

Votes: 65 12.5%
  • No, even though I'm on my first tank I am in this for more than one hit!

Votes: 154 29.5%
  • No because I've cut numerous reefing tracks!

Votes: 284 54.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 3.6%

• Total voters

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Avoid fads. There's been a lot of them over the years. No particular piece of equipment is going to bring success.

Good husbandry and stability will get you everywhere. Successful tanks 30 years ago have a lot in common with successful tanks today.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've almost quit about 5 times now, but i owe it to my foxface and one tiny deformed clown to keep going. From the clowns loving an anemone to death, to gha to cyano to hydroids, to frags that just have randomly died for no reason whatsoever. Zoas are doing great. Gorgonians doing great. But it's been a lot of trial and error. Thank god for everyone at R2R and all the encouragement and advice and friendship.
Someday my tank will be pretty too! *fingers crossed*
Also going to buy a bigger tank soon because a lot of things have grown far more than expected. soooooo 2nd tank?

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest reccomendations are:

Emotional moderation-
If you ride the highs and lows of your tank, it'll overwhelm you. Understand that good and bad things will happen and that's part of the experience.

Reef within your budget-
If that purple tang is going to take saving up for 6 months to afford, how will you handle it if the animal dies? If your $600 lights go out, can you afford to replace them? I've seen a lot of posts where people explode when they can't handle things like this. Don't buy what you can't replace.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef within your budget-
If that purple tang is going to take saving up for 6 months to afford, how will you handle it if the animal dies? If your $600 lights go out, can you afford to replace them? I've seen a lot of posts where people explode when they can't handle things like this. Don't buy what you can't replace.

This is why there are so many abandoned animals IMHO. Teen goes and gets their first house or apartment, gets that kitten or dog then realizes how much they cost, especially when they get sick.

I knew when I got back into this hobby recently the start would be rough. I also knew that $1500 tank could get into the $20k range when I am done.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice I could give is not to only ask someone what they do, but ask them the reasons they do it. Make sure you understand what impacts it may have. Once you understand the why it can go a long way to helping understand if it has a chance of working for you.

For example, defeating cyano or dino's by dosing nitrates and phosphates. I can work. However, if you have a big algae problem on top of it, this will only make things worse. Understand what dosing nitrates and phosphates will do to YOUR system, don't just say that you will dose because you have cyano.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef within your budget-

I might represent that remark! ;)

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew when I got back into this hobby recently the start would be rough. I also knew that $1500 tank could get into the $20k range when I am done.

Gold plated downspouts? Diamond encrusted protein skimmer? (J/K)

The lower cost limit of the hobby is reasonable IMO, but of course 'sky's the limit' for the upper end.

Food for Thought: Many of the best and most durable reef aquariums are also the simplest...

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R is the best!!!!!

Let's see..... patience, patience, patience.....read everything you can, don't neglect your tank, get a good maintenance schedule and stick to it, don't over stock your tank (resist the temptation to add just one more)....trust people when they offer advice about certain fish and tank size....learn from your mistakes....love and support your LFS, but don't take what they say as gospel, as someone else mentioned if it isn't broke don't fix it, and never give up...!

I have made most of these mistakes at one point or another when I was a newbie..... LOL!

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest key to success for me has been getting the whole family involved. Initially my wife didn’t understand why we would even want a fish tank, now she‘s addicted to blastos and gonis and helps with the tank maintenance.

Along with that, I think that a lot of people lose sight of the fact that it’s actually supposed to be fun. It sucks at times and is a lot of work, but if you stop having fun then it’s hard to stay motivated long term.

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In keeping a reef, there are many many tasks to understand and perform just to keep the reef up and running, Many many more to keep coral happy and healthy. And many more to understand in order to keep fish healthy, happy, and disease free.

It sounds daunting, but they can all be learned and mastered over time.

Unfortunately people enter the hobby without realizing this, and get frustrated when things don't work out. Or force things to happen either from lack of patience or experience, only making things worse. That's when they give up.

My recommendation would be to read and understand as much as possible before attempting anything. And learn that reefing is a slow and steady process. Have patience and don't rush anything.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The lower cost limit of the hobby is reasonable IMO, but of course 'sky's the limit' for the upper end.

Food for Thought: Many of the best and most durable reef aquariums are also the simplest...

There are just so many cost you do not think about. I had to even add blackout curtains to the back of the house. Live rock, sump, skimmer, pumps, ro/di, controllers, macro algae, fish, blah .... blah. You know the drill. I remember how much my previous tank cost me over time, I expect this one to be even higher.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest problem is people jump into the deep end instead of taking their time and seeing if it's really something they want to do. You always see pics of the good, but rarely do you see the struggles to get there.

Then theres this. Hey what's your parameters?....test your dang water

FB_IMG_1590000048158.jpg

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh by the way...this seems relevant now.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically this is my second reef tank. But I consider it my first since it is the first I have set up from the start. The "first" one was one I took over from my husband. He was one of those, "really gung ho" reefers in the beginning but as soon as trouble struck, he lost interest in maintaining it. I went from this being a 120 gallon with a canister filter, to a sump under the stand and now a whole fish room in my basement complete with a frag tank, mixing station and a planned (don't tell my husband) FOWLR in the near future. I even want to setup a mantis shrimp tank.

I may be loosing my mind

Steve Elb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one hit wonder.jpg

Are you a one hit wonder and don't even know it?

I was thinking about members who have joined all "gung ho" about saltwater aquariums who set up a beautiful system and when trouble hits they crumble and the tank comes down. That's a reefer one hit wonder. Some of you reading today are on your first reef tank and are super excited about it but how do you keep from being a statistic? How do you keep from becoming a one hit wonder?

Experienced reefers please share some tips for not becoming a reefing one hit wonder! What are some ways new hobbyists can prepare for and mitigate tank troubles that might make them end up quitting the hobby?

Here are some tips:

1. Prepare for the worst. Get ready for algae and fish disease by learning before you get it. Prepare by stocking up on items that will help you beat it once you do get it because you will get it. Prepare by learning how to mitigate algae and fish disease breakouts NOW before it comes. - @revhtree

2. Have a friend in the hobby that you can really lean on. Someone who you can call. Someone who would be ready to come over and help you or mail you necessities in a pinch. @Billldg

3. The only advise I can give a newbie is to collect as much as knowledge as possible and start with easy stuff. @Lasse

4. Those who are in this hobby for a long time and have long running systems tend to have relatively simple set ups and can then spend more time enjoying and appreciating their aquarium's inhabitants. Even a nice aquarium can become a drudgery if it is too complicated to maintain. @Nano sapiens

5. Think out your stock list in advance. @ReeferBlaine

6. I believe in keeping it simple and letting the tanks more or less run themselves. By that I mean feeding the tank often, and with a mixture of quality foods, not obsessing over numbers, and keeping my hands off as much as possible. @Rybren

7. Gotta roll with the punches in this hobby. One week it's tragedy, the next everything is fantastic. As you progress, and learn to identify/deal with more situations, the fantastic weeks begin to outnumber the tragedy. @living_tribunal

8. I have a long term goal and I have broken it down to smaller steps, and each step is broken down into easy attainable goals. My forever tanks will not be in existence for several more years, my first tank is still ugly, but I am happy in the way it is going. @Ippyroy

9. Patience. Experience. Willingness to learn. Ability to take advice. Ability to overcome failure. @Thespammailaccount

10. If you can't see the tank, be wary of the advice. Find someone who has a documented track record of success and try to emulate their approach. @Kjames

11. Another point I'd like to make is don't keep looking for the solution without finding the cause. A solution without knowing the cause is a band aid at best and snake oil at the worst. It's always best to fix the cause than change stuff for a solution in a bottle. @Ippyroy

12. Observe and learn the rhythm of your system and develop a maintenance schedule that you are able to stick to. Don't assume that copying exactly how someone else runs their tank, is how you will find success. @mattdg

13. Don't go crazy buying every gadget when you start the hobby. I have been keeping fish about 65 years and still only have lights, Diy skimmer DIY algae scrubber, some power heads and that's about it. This hobby is not expensive, we make it expensive. @PaulB

14. If you are asking for help, provide as much details as possible, engage in the conversation. Quality of feedback is proportional to quality of information that goes into the question. @Reefer1978

15. Be very wary of anecdotal information and advice...."this worked for me" or "I know someone that....". Having been a hobbyist all of my life and many years in the industry, this will kill you. @schooncw

16. Good husbandry and stability will get you everywhere. Successful tanks 30 years ago have a lot in common with successful tanks today. @kenchilada

17. Reef within your budget- If that purple tang is going to take saving up for 6 months to afford, how will you handle it if the animal dies? If your $600 lights go out, can you afford to replace them? I've seen a lot of posts where people explode when they can't handle things like this. Don't buy what you can't replace. @Indytraveler83

18. The best advice I could give is not to only ask someone what they do, but ask them the reasons they do it. Make sure you understand what impacts it may have. Once you understand the why it can go a long way to helping understand if it has a chance of working for you. @Brew12

19. The biggest key to success for me has been getting the whole family involved. Initially my wife didn’t understand why we would even want a fish tank, now she‘s addicted to blastos and gonis and helps with the tank maintenance. @BlennyTime
I’ve had tanks on and off since I was a kid. Pls man now. Currently have 3. 1 reef and 2 fresh.

C4E5D128-C0C3-4A11-8C9D-EA5F801DA522.jpeg CBAB77D1-1D60-416A-9AC4-8714D0BB9F44.jpeg 332DEF27-4F82-40D5-A6A6-5E83687BE710.jpeg 28A5C246-C94D-440B-9D29-85368EF74885.jpeg 00847667-AA16-40F2-B812-34598CC1BCBB.jpeg B5CBEF08-0869-4557-A20C-607EDC170F27.jpeg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've almost quit about 5 times now, but i owe it to my foxface and one tiny deformed clown to keep going. From the clowns loving an anemone to death, to gha to cyano to hydroids, to frags that just have randomly died for no reason whatsoever. Zoas are doing great. Gorgonians doing great. But it's been a lot of trial and error. Thank god for everyone at R2R and all the encouragement and advice and friendship.
Someday my tank will be pretty too! *fingers crossed*
Also going to buy a bigger tank soon because a lot of things have grown far more than expected. soooooo 2nd tank?

This, learning and adjusting, with the inteweb thingie it is easier to learn stuff! :)

Steve Elb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a lot of people start hobbies with the idea of being perfect and great right out of the gate. That is a major reason why I am so grateful that I learned wood working and cabinetry at an early age. With wood working the end goal is clearly defined and there many steps to take to get there. Each step has to be completed before you are able to move on to the next step. The best part of it is that you can't hurry any of the steps and you get a feeling of accomplishment each time. From planing and joining to cutting the board to size, to gluing to sanding to staining. Each and every step takes x amount of time.
I am treating reefing the same way. I have a long term goal and I have broken it down to smaller steps, and each step is broken down into easy attainable goals. My forever tanks will not be in existence for several more years, my first tank is still ugly, but I am happy in the way it is going.
There will be set backs. When doing cabinetry I've had tools break, I've made the wrong cut, and the worst, I've sanded against the grain. This doesn't mean I scraped the entire project, I just took a step back, punched the wall maybe or kicked the saw dust, then I would readjust my plan and carry on.
Nothing good in life comes easy. Sometimes you have to reassess and take a detour. I am usually happier with a finished product that I had to do that on. It makes the finished product so much better and the feeling of accomplishment so much greater. Except for door frames. I can't measure a door frame. At all. They always come out like a trapezoid. It is a truly amazing feet.
I am a woodworker as well. Patience was learned from that. Love reefing

16DAF080-829F-41AD-BD72-7A9B44D3E0C4.jpeg FC39454F-EF26-4A53-92D4-94D808424D54.jpeg B903A027-5415-45B4-822B-E0754866D998.jpeg

Christoporia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go big on the tank, bigger than you expect to "want" and do a lot of DIY to offset the cost. There is a wealth of information online in the DIY aspect. Patience is key. "Dilution is the solution to pollution" is true, but remember when chasing an issue, doing 20% water change leaves 80% of the issue in the tank. Join local forums for help, advice and always pay it forward.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back