Ash's 400 Gallon Reef

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. Today my purple and yellow decided to take out my yellow. I have to somehow get him out. I am kind of done with more than 1 zebrasoma

20230417_161716.jpg

20230417_161711.jpg
Poor guy, also looks like he has some HLLE? Did you introduce them together?

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught the yellow tang and have him in the 110gallon vat, glad I didnt dismantle this tank yet but I plan on eventually connecting this vat to my main display. At least once corals are growing like they should but until then coral backups survive in here. This is what happens when you cut down frozen food by 40% in 4 days. Weakest link gets targeted. Lost a purple and yellow last year when i went on vacation

20230417_174803.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor guy, also looks like he has some HLLE? Did you introduce them together?
Had them together for 6 years. They developed HLLE after I moved from my apartment and put them in my 110 gallon holding tank for 2 years. I barely noticed since they would hide and top down view was not really good to view fish. I actually had 3 yellow tangs and when I went on vacation for 7 days last year lost one yellow tang and one purple tang, hence why i went all in on feeding. Ironically I cut back my frozen food by 50% this week and feel this may have caused the aggression. The yellow tang is back in the 110 gallon vat and the only fish in there.. I feel he was hours away from death and if he survives few days I think it will survive.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down 3 tangs from last year and looks less crowded. I would eventually like to find the orange shoulder are larger home and then get only schooling fish.

Heres a video of tank as of today

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down 3 tangs from last year and looks less crowded. I would eventually like to find the orange shoulder are larger home and then get only schooling fish.

Heres a video of tank as of today

You run a tang only tank, I see six tangs. Why nothing else, just preference?

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You run a tang only tank, I see six tangs. Why nothing else, just preference?

I have 2 chromis and 2 clownfish. I Added a sixline wrasse but it died quickly, think he got take out by a fish since it was beaten up within hours of adding him. I like tangs because I feel they actually survive long term. For example, I had 7 chromis and 5 died in QT. I did research and later found out that the 2 where just killing the others.

I really want to add 7 princess anthias, which are very expensive, difficult to keep and difficult to find. . I want to add a copperband, but I know my purple and yellow tan will destroy them. I really want to add a melanrus wrasse, but they 100% need sand and I won't add a fish that needs sand to sleep in.

In the future I will build a 3 gallon acrylic acclimation box and start adding those expensive anthias and other fish. Since I see Ryan(BRS). Main reason i dont add any fish is I am terrified of adding velvet to the tank and wiping out all the fish. I would have to setup my QT again (which is not an issue), but I can't get motivated to do if for a fish here and there. I should probably just leave it running so I can get fish from Petco, which seem to have good prices compared to other places lol

Last edited:

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to add 7 princess anthias, which are very expensive, difficult to keep and difficult to find. . I want to add a copperband, but I know my purple and yellow tan will destroy them. I really want to add a melanrus wrasse, but they 100% need sand and I won't add a fish that needs sand to sleep in.

You can simply put a small shallow container of sand in the tank and it will be fine. I have done this for QT of a Christmas wrasse and it worked very well. It also meant that I could just move the sand box from QT and into DT and the fish could come out and explore on its own.

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Placed a deposit on mine today ! Stole ideas from your closed loop/return setup. Are you loving or regretting it ?

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed a deposit on mine today ! Stole ideas from your closed loop/return setup. Are you loving or regretting it ?
Love the closed loop design...I get a lot of flow out of the pump being head pressures not an issue and after added the 2 educators getting even more flow so dialed it back. This is the flow in the tank with just the vectra l1

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air exhanger helped bring up PH about 0.3 points. So low is 8.14 and high is 8.26. I was expecting it to be above 8.3. I do love that the basement feels like breathing fresh air outside and now can make tweaks to the outlet and see if i can further increase ph. Keep in mind my radions are at 23% intensity and im dosing 3000ml of kalk per day. Therefore adding coral and resulting kalk demand will eventually have me at 8.25 to 8.35+

20230428_134829.jpg
20230502_131233.jpg
20230502_131239.jpg

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I add 1450 ml of kalk on a 32 gal tank so you could add a significant amount of kalk once you have a demand. This is what corrected my ph. I wouldn’t worry about the ph any longer

Last edited:

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what you think my Ph will go to when im dosing 5 gallons per day or 20000ml?
Well, although my consumption is adequate with also dosing 2 part I have an issue with my ph being too high hitting close to 8.7 at the end of the photoperiod for a short time. This has been going on for an almost two months with no ill effects.

I would say yours will be close to 8.4 8.5. Like I said by the time you have stonies growing and you up your kalk you will be in the sweet spot.

onward and upward

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, although my consumption is adequate with also dosing 2 part I have an issue with my ph being too high hitting close to 8.7 at the end of the photoperiod for a short time. This has been going on for an almost two months with no ill effects.

I would say yours will be close to 8.4 8.5. Like I said by the time you have stonies growing and you up your kalk you will be in the sweet spot.

onward and upward
Thats good to know I can attain high PH with natural means. I anticipate it will also go higher when I add my 110 gallon Vatt to the system as a frag tank on reverse photo period. I do notice most of my acros are finally started to tell me they are happy. The encrusting parts are growing new polyps and color is starting to get better.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been 5 months but finally added 4 acro frags. I made this acclimation rock structure instead of using a magnet frag rack. Mainly bc i find myself losing patients acclimating corals to the lighting and thats caused setbacks in the past. If these frags look good in 2-3 weeks ill move them to different areas

Candle lit stag
Fuzzy green stag.
WWC yellow tip
Pink acro
20230505_134700.jpg

20230505_150500.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back