OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lack of no updates but there has just been nothing amazing happening, just waiting for the new tank issues to resolve. WWC was right in that a barebottom started with dead rock takes forever. Mine took 15 months i finally seen healthy PE

Id never recommend starting a barebottom take without at least a remote sand bed. If you look at anyone else that had a barebottom tank take of in 3 months they had either sand, remote sand bed, or a bunch of chunky LPS colonies that speed things up. I took the longest route possible but thought adding LR to the sump would get me there in 6 months. Problem was my Live rock was barely alive.

I have starting youtube channel and uploaded one short video. Pls subscribe and stay tune for some long form content.

Last edited:

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cool: Man that orangeshoulder , wow almost makes that achilles look bad..

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lack of no updates but there has just been nothing amazing happening, just waiting for the new tank issues to resolve. WWC was right in that a barebottom started with dead rock takes forever. Mine took 15 months i finally seen healthy PE

Id never recommend starting a barebottom take without at least a remote sand bed. If you look at anyone else that had a barebottom tank take of in 3 months they had either sand, remote sand bed, or a bunch of chunky LPS colonies that speed things up. I took the longest route possible but thought adding LR to the sump would get me there in 6 months. Problem was my Live rock was barely alive.

I have starting youtube channel and uploaded one short video. Pls subscribe and stay tune for some long form content.

That update was worth waiting for mate! Looks amazing! :star-struck: How many tangs do you have in there?

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Not much updates the tank is finally starting to mature after 15 month of stagnant growth.
I figured id stop waiting for things to be perfect and make a quick video on the tank, and basement area as of today.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts to adding ocean live rock to the sump area. Looks like you have plenty of room still. That might help with the biodiversity

what are your nutrients currently at.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts to adding ocean live rock to the sump area. Looks like you have plenty of room still. That might help with the biodiversity

what are your nutrients currently at.
Sorry for the delay i rarely post anymore! I just added 80lbs of Ocean direct sand (Remote DSB) to help with my 100PPM+ nitrate issue. My PO3 i have not tested in 4 months but last i checked they where under .10ppm. I am dosing LC continuously to deal with that. I tested frequently when I started dosing LC so confident its not at the .60+ppm range it was last year before I dosed LC.

I am going to start dosing Vodka but just delaying it because I wanted to do a 2x120 gallon water change and then add the sand. If I could I would do a few 70% waterchanges but that would require 300 gallon containers, and I cant get those down in my basement so had to settle for 120 gallon for now. In the future I want to have the ability to make at least a 60% waterchange. I can drain water directly into the sewer so system is ultra ultra low work - i am working on a detailed YT video so stay tune!

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank as of today. Only issue that is significantly impacting growth is 100-200ppm Nitrates. All other parameters are Rock solid so I know this is the final thing I have to get under control. I am surprised some of these acros are holding on and trying to grow by encrusting and shooting new branches, Only problem its at probably 1/10th the rate I have observed in tanks previous. I am about to start carbon dosing using Vodka for the 1st time and scared of something bad happening.
1000028172.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 2 (120gallon) waterchanges
Added 80lbs Remote sand bed (Caribsea Ocean Direct)
Below pic without flow vs with flow. Which is constant. Ph drops alot without flow
1000028174.jpg

Attachments

• 20231216_131654.jpg
    20231216_131654.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mixing container makes these large waterchanges painless since I can siphon the display stay into the sewer

I also did a 80% waterchange on the 4 year old temporary holding tank. I have 5 corals that I still want to save and add to my display eventually like gonis and hammer and some zoas. I won't add them without QT since I have some unwanted algae.

1000028175.jpg

Attachments

• 20231216_131811.jpg
    20231216_131811.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 32

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing will happen from the vodka. I’ve dosed much higher amounts in my 260 gallon tank.

Read SunnyX’s TOTM. They are all carbon dosed tanks. Some of the best tanks out there carbon dose. :)

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing will happen from the vodka. I’ve dosed much higher amounts in my 260 gallon tank.

Read SunnyX’s TOTM. They are all carbon dosed tanks. Some of the best tanks out there carbon dose. :)
What vodka should I use? I've not drank vodka for 18years so not sure if there is a % alcohol to use. Also dumb question but it's dosed strait up or can I dilute it and put it in a doser? How long do you think it will take for my tank to get nitrates down. And you should just give me your phone number so i can text you directly.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What vodka should I use? I've not drank vodka for 18years so not sure if there is a % alcohol to use. Also dumb question but it's dosed strait up or can I dilute it and put it in a doser? How long do you think it will take for my tank to get nitrates down. And you should just give me your phone number so i can text you directly.
80 Proof Vodka (it’s the standard type). No flavors. Just plain vodka (40% ethanol).

You can dose it in one shot with no issues at all. That’s the standard way to dose it.

35mL in a 550 gallon is the starting dose. You should be able to easily drop a few ppm per week. With the final dose, it’s more like 1-3 ppm per day. Your skimmer will get darker and export more than you’ve ever seen.

I also don’t drink alcohol. You don‘t need to drink to dose it lol.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 Proof Vodka (it’s the standard type). No flavors. Just plain vodka (40% ethanol).

You can dose it in one shot with no issues at all. That’s the standard way to dose it.

35mL in a 550 gallon is the starting dose. You should be able to easily drop a few ppm per week. With the final dose, it’s more like 1-3 ppm per day. Your skimmer will get darker and export more than you’ve ever seen.

I also don’t drink alcohol. You don‘t need to drink to dose it lol.
Awesome, I am ready to start dosing vodka!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back