Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 5:30 am, (4 hrs before the lights come on) PH was 8.0.
I think I am simply over reacting, and trying to chase numbers. I'm gonna keep doing what I've been doing and just watch it.
My 20% water changes once a week should really help keep me in balance. May change up salt, since my Instant Ocean is testing alk at 12.5
That is a good morning reading and I think you do not need to change anything to try to adjust your pH. 8.0 before the lights come on is good. And the reason it went down from last night was the lack of photosynthesis because the lights were out and so more CO2 gets in the water and that lowers the pH. When your lights come on the pH will start to go up again. I think you are good !

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So how's the testing going? Any updates?

The numbers seem to be staying the same, varying through the day as I posted. I still have the DIY oxigenator going but the peroxide is hardly going down so I am going to install a much larger catalyst to make more oxygen then I will pipe it into my skimmer instead of the powerhead.

Is it better to use GFO or Aluminum oxide compounds to lower PO4?

If you use to much aluminum oxide, it may precipitate out like this.

Budcanandcopperband.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The numbers seem to be staying the same, varying through the day as I posted. I still have the DIY oxigenator going but the peroxide is hardly going down so I am going to install a much larger catalyst to make more oxygen then I will pipe it into my skimmer instead of the powerhead.

If you use to much aluminum oxide, it may precipitate out like this.

Budcanandcopperband.jpg

Yes you may need more peroxide or a larger catalyst ... that is worth a try to see if you can get it to keep dispensing oxygen for longer indeed. At least your numbers have gone up somewhat I guess based on other messages and if you inject more oxygen they should go up even more.

And on the Aluminum oxide ... ah now I see how Budweiser makes their cans :)

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good morning reading and I think you do not need to change anything to try to adjust your pH. 8.0 before the lights come on is good. And the reason it went down from last night was the lack of photosynthesis because the lights were out and so more CO2 gets in the water and that lowers the pH. When your lights come on the pH will start to go up again. I think you are good !
Thanks again for your help Albert

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Apples are very attractive looking life forms and Hobbyists like to add them to their Nano Reefs but they can cause the tank to crash if they die or release toxins as a defense mechanism. Below is a link to a lot of detail on these indeed gorgeous looking organisms :

WaterWorldWeb

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Response to a a question : What type of feeders are there of animals I add to my reef tank?

Below are the most common "general" categories:

Herbivores: feed on algae mostly, but not on all types e.g. not Bryopsis and Wiry red and green algae. Some such as the Emerald Crab may feed on green Bubble Algae
Detrivores: feed on left over foods and other detritus in the tank, may feed on carrion depending on life form
Omnivores: eat both detritus and other foods they can find such as leftover foods you feed to fish and corals
Carnivores: eat meaty foods such as brine shrimp and Mysis and similar small meaty foods like shrimp and clam shavings
Corallivores: not wanted in your Nano or reef tank, as they feed on corals and other cnidarians, and even Zoanthids and similar organisms and Echinoderms to use a more encompassing term
Planktivores: feed on plankton (phyto and zoo plankton)
Parasitic Organisms : many exist that prey on life forms in your tank e.g. Nudibranchs, Snails, some Crabs, Flatworms and more

If you wish more info on any of the above just post a message here or PM me as you did for this question. Glad to help.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeding Brine Shrimp (Artemia) which can be fed when freshly hatched (and are very small ± 0.4 mm) to many fish that require small meaty foods such as Mandarin Fish, Copperband Butterflies and most other fish you maintain that will consume them as well, but will also feed on other types of food.

brine shrimp breeding

Growing Adult Brine Shrimp

And there are plenty more links on the Net that you can find by doing a search for "Breeding Brine Shrimp" or "Breeding Artemia". Note that if you keep fish that need freshly hatched brine shrimp you must feed them shortly after they hatch as the nauplii will use the nutrients they contain for their own growth, which happens rapidly, and so it is generally accepted that if not used within about 6 hours of hatching the nauplii have lost most of their nutritional value.

Link to a short vide on Brine Shrimp Nauplii where you can see how small they really are (as I stated above ± 0.4 mm to 0.5 mm which is about the size of a large dot such as this one: .. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKPaJGvVxY0

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video on the decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide, e.g. when used to add free oxygen to an aquarium (a specialized manner of doing so is what the Oxydator by Söchting does).

This is for demo purposes only. If you intend to use the H2O2 as a manner of adding O2 to your aquarium you may wish to buy the Oxydator, which breaks up the peroxide and adds oxygen to the tank, but no peroxide gets into your tanks water. The other methods shown in the video are for illusration purposes only as they serve no meaningful use for aquariums.

Decomposition of hydrogen peroxide - YouTube

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back