Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will now!:wink:

Found this in the tank this morning..I am thumbing through your book now Albert, but wanted to post up a pick in case I couldn't I.D. it...
it was towards the bottom of that glass last night..I thought it was just a slime trail from a snail...until this morning lol

SANY0284.jpg

should I drop the hammer on this little dude?

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Found this in the tank this morning..I am thumbing through your book now Albert, but wanted to post up a pick in case I couldn't I.D. it...
it was towards the bottom of that glass last night..I thought it was just a slime trail from a snail...until this morning lol

This does not look like snails eggs but more like from a Nudibranch ... any in your tank ? You may need to look really closely ...

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do Nudibranches like to hang out. I honestly can't say I have seen any in my tank, but I haven't been looking specifically for them either.

I REALLY need to get a magnifying glass lol

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do Nudibranches like to hang out. I honestly can't say I have seen any in my tank, but I haven't been looking specifically for them either.
I REALLY need to get a magnifying glass lol

Usually you will not see them during the day .. they hide between and under the rocks, or in corners, or inside zoa colonies, or underneath some rubble rock where they can get out of sight ... usually you need to use a red light (and I will have some special ones soon coming from the UK) but for now use a flashlight and put a red plastic film in front of it and look everywhere in the tank a few hours after the lights are out ... that is usually when you will see them, Some are real small too ...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What heater do I use for an 8 gallon nano tank? Do I get the 25 watts or 50 watts?

Depending the ambient temperature .... if not too low during the night then a 25 should be ok but if your temp is low during the night then I would use a 50 watt

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did this cluster of what seems to be eggs move at all or stay in place ?

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this cluster of what seems to be eggs move at all or stay in place ?

It had moved from where I saw it last night. Was lower and on the back glass, now is higher and on side glass. Also last night it was balled up more. Up close it looks like our small intestines look (if that makes sense)

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It had moved from where I saw it last night. Was lower and on the back glass, now is higher and on side glass. Also last night it was balled up more. Up close it looks like our small intestines look (if that makes sense)

Well egg masses don't move so it has to be something else ... I'll try to figure it out from the picture later tonight TW .... Odd and if you have other pics, pls do post them. Thanks

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other pics of that worm looking creature Albert BUT...I found my son's magnifying glass and started snooping about the many white seed like specks on my glass. Inside are what look like eggs. Snail egg sacs I presume. I also notice really small straight and skinny critters crawling all over the glass. These things are reddish in color as best I can tell but you cant see them without a magnifying glass as they are super tiny. I will browse the net for a picture of what I am seeing but in the mean time....Its time for baseball!!! Little League that is!!!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other pics of that worm looking creature Albert BUT...I found my son's magnifying glass and started snooping about the many white seed like specks on my glass. Inside are what look like eggs. Snail egg sacs I presume. I also notice really small straight and skinny critters crawling all over the glass. These things are reddish in color as best I can tell but you cant see them without a magnifying glass as they are super tiny. I will browse the net for a picture of what I am seeing but in the mean time....Its time for baseball!!! Little League that is!!!

Could be flatworms ... some are OK and some are not ... would need to see a pic... When you search look for Planaria, Flatworms, Red Bugs or terms like that and you should find them ... in fact there are some in my book in the pest and disease section ...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brought in another 15 Boxes of books for the storage area ... that's about 450 pounds worth ... 20 per box.... a lot of weight to carry ... but I needed them her at home to fill more orders ... so got some exercise at the same time ( well I get it every time I get more books out of storage) ...

Busterhotrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iphone 011.jpg
iphone 018.jpg
iphone 015.jpg
Here's a few picts of my 30 g that has been in service for almost a year and a half the cardnials have bred twice so far , anyways my topic is filter socks / what are your feelings ? I use and I don't , when I do I can see a difference in what washes out of it very fine dirt collard matter and a lot of my amphripods so I feel it doesn't let my refugium get the necessary benefits from the tank itself ?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looked some more and they are probably snail eggs indeed ... exported pic and enlarged it and looked at it in Photoshop on a large screen and yes IMO these are indeed Snail Eggs ... Are they still there or has the cluster broken up by now ?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who orders the e-Version of my new book Nano-Reef Aquariums by midnight ... get a personalized version with your name and more in the book in e-format. $20.00 and personalization is good till midnight tonite ... so why not ? Thanks

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ew picts of my 30 g that has been in service for almost a year and a half the cardnials have bred twice so far , anyways my topic is filter socks / what are your feelings ? I use and I don't , when I do I can see a difference in what washes out of it very fine dirt collard matter and a lot of my amphripods so I feel it doesn't let my refugium get the necessary benefits from the tank itself ?

Looking great ... and on the filter sock I think the micron size of the one you are using is "too" fine and so it traps really fine particles including some of your beneficial pods apparently. Don't use that one for now but get one that has a larger pore size is my recommendation ... I think that will solve your problem of trapping "too fine" matter and trapping food stuff needed especially for those Banggai's who look great and am happy to read that they spawned twice already ... are you going to try to raise some .... that would be AWESOME

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The little red ones are probably Planaria and the white ones snail eggs, some come in strings and some are laid out a round little balls one next to each other, and sometimes all over the place. At one time most of my rocks in the tank looked "white" and I had to scrub the eggs off with a special SS brush (316 SS) to get the rocks to look like rocks again ... When those snails start ... man oh man they seem to go on and on and on ...

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was stupidly trying to do some things on my nano this AM....long story short I got some GFO granules into the DT. I got some of it off the rocks, but I know more landed in the sand bed.
Will this kill anything in the tank? Snails, zoa/palys, lps, fish, crabs?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was stupidly trying to do some things on my nano this AM....long story short I got some GFO granules into the DT. I got some of it off the rocks, but I know more landed in the sand bed.
Will this kill anything in the tank? Snails, zoa/palys, lps, fish, crabs?

No it will not but if you can get them out you should try do to so but if there are only a few then I would not worry about it really ... maybe you can you a baster and suck some of them out to reduce the quantity that fell in the tank ... but they will not get consumed so there is really no risk in the long run and in the short run they will absorb some PO4 ... No big deal unless there is a real large quantity of them

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few members took me up on the Personalized e-Version offer so far .... Offer is valid till Midnight today ... and for those abroad till 6am in the morning ...

Thanks for your support.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back